CBS news says we are a "Secret FIRE Cult"

I do want to point out that minimizing lifestyle creep is a larger part than recognized. She mentioned saving a huge percentage of your income as if that happens in a vacuum. But as our wages go up if we increase the amount we save then we don't really notice it. Example: I get a 5% raise at work. I put 4% of that aside for FIRE and I put 1% aside to Lifestyle Creep. I do get a boost in my standard of living but I got a larger boost in the money set aside to retire early

I think soupcxan is referring to "she is kinda cute" comment by haha..

Cool, I'm in a cult.

And the redhead's hair was distracting - DW is a redhead so I'm in that cult too...

Cool, I'm in a cult.

And the redhead's hair was distracting - DW is a redhead so I'm in that cult too...

My hair used to be red too but, now it’s mostly [-]grey[/-] gone.

Pls don’t tell me this means I’m out of the cult. :nonono:

I laughed a little at the question, asked so innocently, "Why do you think more and more people are thinking about early retirement?"

How about, not working for Megacorp!

How about, not working for Megacorp!

Got that right. Megacorp went too far this week. Asking us to w*rk on Thanksgiving, simply to make up time on an internal project. No compensation, just do it because they want to make an artificial date.

It is abusive and ridiculous. People are doing it out of fear due to all the layoffs. I said "no."

I'm about 6 months away. Trying to not do or say anything I'll regret. I have a few things I'd like to say to management about this, but it won't matter.

So, yeah, why on earth would anyone want to FIRE?

Got that right. Megacorp went too far this week. Asking us to w*rk on Thanksgiving, simply to make up time on an internal project. No compensation, just do it because they want to make an artificial date.

It is abusive and ridiculous. People are doing it out of fear due to all the layoffs. I said "no."

I'm about 6 months away. Trying to not do or say anything I'll regret. I have a few things I'd like to say to management about this, but it won't matter.

That's the worst I've heard. In all my years working in silicon valley I've never seen them ask someone to work Thanksgiving.

That's the worst I've heard. In all my years working in silicon valley I've never seen them ask someone to work Thanksgiving.
A first for me too from this SV based corporation. I'm really shook up over this.

Again, it is supposedly "voluntary," but you know the peer pressure. And with other countries not having the day off, the "whisper" from management is don't let them down and ruin the so called momentum of a global "team."

Mind games.

Last edited:
After watching the video, I have developed a new found affection for annuities. Maybe I have been to hard on annuities and I should give them a chance. Something about that video. :)

All this talk about the cute redhead by old FIREd farts tells me you are not keeping up with current events.

Edit: written before I got far enough in the thread to see that Soupcxan got in a better one.

Last edited:
All this talk about the cute redhead by old FIREd farts tells me you are not keeping up with current events.

Edit: written before I got far enough in the thread to see that Soupcxan got in a better one.

It's a bad sign when I'm the woke-est person in the thread :D

I do want to point out that minimizing lifestyle creep is a larger part than recognized. She mentioned saving a huge percentage of your income as if that happens in a vacuum. But as our wages go up if we increase the amount we save then we don't really notice it. Example: I get a 5% raise at work. I put 4% of that aside for FIRE and I put 1% aside to Lifestyle Creep. I do get a boost in my standard of living but I got a larger boost in the money set aside to retire early

That's what we did for the last decade (or more) of w*rk. We lived a modest lifestyle and plowed pay hikes into 401K. As a nice bonus, being a road warrior meant mostly free / near free vacations for most of my megacorp career (free flights, hotels, rental cars, all from points).

FWIW, We are FIre (exited at 60, so not really RE).

My mega just put out department heads are "expected" to work till 11pm Christmas Eve. Ummm...No. Hoping next year is my last OMY. I'll take any consequences they want to dispense. I haven't worked over three decades to miss family time on Christmas.

My mega just put out department heads are "expected" to work till 11pm Christmas Eve. Ummm...No. Hoping next year is my last OMY. I'll take any consequences they want to dispense. I haven't worked over three decades to miss family time on Christmas.
I'm stunned at this. It's literally Dickensian.

Wow, that's really bad! These companies never stop do they. Every year it's a crisis. Gotta do that extra push - as if it's never like that otherwise.

Wow, that's really bad! These companies never stop do they. Every year it's a crisis. Gotta do that extra push - as if it's never like that otherwise.
Yep. I wish I could share some of the emails, but that would likely get me fired for cause. I don't need to go there.

Management has already ramped up this morning with suggestions for what the engineers should work on today. I really can't believe this!

I was about to fire off a reply I'd regret, but instead erased the sentence, replaced it with "Happy Thanksgiving," shut down the PC, and put it in the closet. I'm done with this!

Man, this thread went from zero to Charlie Rose in no time.

Yeah, that pretty much guarantees that if she is lurking, she'll never de-lurk. But I'm one those humorless scolds, so what do I know. :rolleyes:

For a short piece, and necessarily kinda "fluffy", they did a good job! I do find it interesting that people talk about the sacrifices of saving 50%+ like it's sooooo shocking, but ask them how much they sacrifice(d) in raising their kids and it's like, "well that's just what you do". Yeah, any major undertaking requires sacrifices, and if it's worth it to you, you'll do it!

Back
Top Bottom