CBS news says we are a "Secret FIRE Cult"

I didn't understand the Stephen Curry reference. I don't know who that is. Or what the comment implied.

I didn't understand the Stephen Curry reference. I don't know who that is. Or what the comment implied.
Stephen Curry is a superstar basketball player. The reference is an allusion to the attractiveness of the reporter, not her professional abilities. Totally irreverent to the topic she was reporting or the thread.

Last edited:
I did not know the Stephen Curry reference, but I knew about Charlie Rose and particularly what Weinstein did. They did a whole lot more than complimenting someone on her good look.

Soon, an older woman commenting on a younger guy looking handsome will also be accused of being a lecherous cougar.

Last edited:
I did not know Stephen Curry, but I knew about Charlie Rose and particularly what Weinstein did. They did a whole lot more than complimenting someone on her good look.

Soon, an older woman commenting on a younger guy looking handsome will also be accused of being a lecherous cougar.
Yes - part of my total confusion. Saying to a third party that a stranger is attractive is not abuse AFAIK.

Yeah, that pretty much guarantees that if she is lurking, she'll never de-lurk. But I'm one those humorless scolds, so what do I know. :rolleyes:

For a short piece, and necessarily kinda "fluffy", they did a good job! I do find it interesting that people talk about the sacrifices of saving 50%+ like it's sooooo shocking, but ask them how much they sacrifice(d) in raising their kids and it's like, "well that's just what you do". Yeah, any major undertaking requires sacrifices, and if it's worth it to you, you'll do it!
Regarding "sacrifice" i am reminded of how the great Zig Ziglar used to talk about sacrifice and success.

Channelling him, I'd say you "enjoy the price" of FIRE. You must "pay the price" if you do not FIRE.

I'm stunned at this. It's literally Dickensian.

The MegaCorp that bought us from the prior MegaCorp had the same attitude. They'd just casually schedule big project work on holidays, or set unrealistic and arbitrary deadlines then expect everyone (actually, only salaried employees) to work excessive hours and holidays to meet them.

I was very proud of my last boss when she stood up to her home office bosses when they tried to schedule a major task for a holiday weekend. Surprisingly, they backed down. The deadline was artificial and nobody really cared if it got done then anyway.

The MegaCorp that bought us from the prior MegaCorp had the same attitude. They'd just casually schedule big project work on holidays, or set unrealistic and arbitrary deadlines then expect everyone (actually, only salaried employees) to work excessive hours and holidays to meet them.

I was very proud of my last boss when she stood up to her home office bosses when they tried to schedule a major task for a holiday weekend. Surprisingly, they backed down. The deadline was artificial and nobody really cared if it got done then anyway.

Is this just some kind of bizarre continual test of "company loyalty"?

Yep. I wish I could share some of the emails, but that would likely get me fired for cause. I don't need to go there.

Management has already ramped up this morning with suggestions for what the engineers should work on today. I really can't believe this!

I was about to fire off a reply I'd regret, but instead erased the sentence, replaced it with "Happy Thanksgiving," shut down the PC, and put it in the closet. I'm done with this!

Hey Joe, if they give you any crap about not coming in just say you were stuck in Thanksgiving Day traffic all day. (that's what I would probably do, but that's just me) :LOL:

The megacorp where I last worked part-time, despite all their talk about efficiency, put in place a system to ensure that it took 2-3 weeks to order parts to build a prototype, despite getting all the approval from appropriate managers. The cost of such order: a few hundred bucks.

The idiotic upper managers in corner offices never did anything real in their life, so they would not know that engineers need parts and equipment to build something, compared to their work that require only a PC, rather their assistant's PC, to draw up some grandiose presentation.

Talk about this just raised my blood pressure. I'd better stop.

PS. I was waiting for my small order to come in to continue on that prototype. The system demanded that it came through some administrative clerk in another building first, so she could log it in or something. When she routed to me, the inept and stupid mailing department sent it down to some guys down in production, in a building that I never knew existed. I had to track it down and walked there to get "my" electronic parts.

Gah! I walked away not too long after that. After 5 years, they recently tried to track me down to ask if I want to come back. Hah!

Is this just some kind of bizarre continual test of "company loyalty"?
Kind of, but more taking advantage of the situation. You are told that bonuses and raises only go to those who rise above. Layoffs lurk, etc.

It is strange, and in my case, a startling change of policy.

Back to the OP topic: this is why we sacrifice 50% way back in those early years. So you can walk when the BS bucket gets a boulder thrown in.

Last edited:
Kind of, but more taking advantage of the situation. You are told that bonuses and raises only go to those who rise above. Layoffs lurk, etc.

Back to the OP topic: this is why we sacrifice 50% way back in those early years. So you can walk when the BS bucket gets a boulder thrown in.
Wow - that's disturbing. Good thing you're close.

I find that, as I get closer to FIRE, I'm better able to deal with the types of pressure you describe (bonuses, raises, layoffs). While I'm looking forward to the day I can walk away, in the meantime it's becoming easier and easier to say no to the extra hours - particularly when the cause of extra hour work is to meet an arbitrary deadline, or because the team works inefficiently.

I basically call their bluff. I might not get a raise? Fine, no problem, a 2-3% raise means little to my overall financial picture at this point. No bonus? No problem - I often make more in a given month from my investments than what the annual bonus amounts to. Layoffs? If they come I'm prepared, though I'm not sure how laying people off is going to help get all of this work done. In fact, my guess is they'll be calling me to consult as a 1099.

I feel the pain, somewhat.:rolleyes: For those asked or coerced to work holidays, particularly if doing it for the company flag. (No pay)

In my case for the 15 years in public transit, before escaping to ER, w*rked every holiday Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, etc.. Most included the graveyard night shift. Sometimes twice in a holiday span, if we were short on bodies. The routine was 12Hr. shifts for management types. Since the the system must run 24/7/365 it was a job requirement. Along with the mondatory random drug tests, for safety sensitive positions, which is everyone except secretaries.

The union crew only had to do their eight hours, worked it out via seniority, low man on the totem pole etc. The hard core types asked for overtime. Which was paid as double time.

Those of us in management did our 12Hr. shift pick in turns, until all slots were covered.

Last edited:
I did not know the Stephen Curry reference, but I knew about Charlie Rose and particularly what Weinstein did. They did a whole lot more than complimenting someone on her good look.

I found the “cute red head” comments offensive. And I don’t mean to derail the thread, but clearly some members don’t understand that those comments and the acceptance by the other members shows it is a problem in our society. Locker room talk is not ok.

It is alright to admire a thing of beauty, but do so in a respectful manner. Not sure what that means? Put yourself, your wife, your daughter on the receiving end of that comment; if you could say it to their face, then it’s probably ok. But if you were saying it to their face you would probably use their name, not refer to them as “hey red head, you sure are pretty”.

And yes, it goes both ways. Any woman (old or not) commenting on the attractiveness of a young man is just as lecherous.

And yes, it goes both ways. Any woman (old or not) commenting on the attractiveness of a young man is just as lecherous.

I wonder how far this would go or if it would even get any air time on any major TV network. LOL

I'm really interested on how the Charlie Rose thing will play out. Putting what he is accused of doing, and the fact that he isn't a regular Joe but a legend in broadcasting.

From a legal perspective, I wonder after being fired (and if he did what they say, rightly so), can her counter with something like "CBS This Morning" had a environment that condoned bad behavior. Not to the point of grabbing but of blurring the boundaries. In otherwords, since he's going down, take others with him.

If you are a regular watcher of the program, I've always thought the sexual banter (must have brought in ratings, as CBS never said cut that stuff out) between him and the co-hosts often bordered on harassment if one of the complained. With Gayle King leading the way, then Norah, then Charlie.

Sad for me too as that was my go-to news program. Now, I'm in wait and see mode.

I feel the pain, somewhat.:rolleyes: For those asked or coerced to work holidays, particularly if doing it for the company flag. (No pay)

In my case for the 15 years in public transit, before escaping to ER, w*rked every holiday Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, etc.. Most included the graveyard night shift. Sometimes twice in a holiday span, if we were short on bodies. The routine was 12Hr. shifts for management types. Since the the system must run 24/7/365 it was a job requirement. Along with the mondatory random drug tests, for safety sensitive positions, which is everyone except secretaries.

The union crew only had to do their eight hours, worked it out via seniority, low man on the totem pole etc. The hard core types asked for overtime. Which was paid as double time.

Those of us in management did our 12Hr. shift pick in turns, until all slots were covered.
I understand service jobs, and the crappy shifts they have to do. I feel for ya'll, especially our LEOs who will likely have to broker some stupid family fights tonight.

But I'm not in service of any type. This is just a date on a project chart.

BTW, my dad worked in the skilled trades. He had a few Thanksgivings to work in restaraunts because it was one of the few days they closed. (Not anymore?) They'd start at 5am and be out of there by 2pm, to join dinner. Double time pay. Thank you dad!

Perhaps 30 years ago, my manager came to me and asked that I drive a rental truck full of heavy parts about 1200 miles to our test site. I was to leave the Thursday before Easter (Friday was a company holiday). The mechanic would fly down on Monday, and we would start rebuilding on Tuesday. I asked why I was asked to drive rather than the mechanic. "We would have to pay him overtime and double time." Would I get any overtime pay? "No."

It was not common, but their were folks in the bargaining unit that earned more than most of the engineers. We explained that to our boss's boss, who did not believe it. We showed him a copy of the Lead Utility Man's paystub. (He was quite proud of it!) The boss's boss took a moment to comprehend, then his face fell. Turns out the utility many made more than the boss's boss! The guy worked a ton of hours, lots of Saturdays and Sundays. He was very good at what he did, and he was worth it. He did more to keep our builds on schedule that management ever did.

I found the “cute red head” comments offensive. And I don’t mean to derail the thread, but clearly some members don’t understand that those comments and the acceptance by the other members shows it is a problem in our society. Locker room talk is not ok.

It is alright to admire a thing of beauty, but do so in a respectful manner. Not sure what that means? Put yourself, your wife, your daughter on the receiving end of that comment; if you could say it to their face, then it’s probably ok. But if you were saying it to their face you would probably use their name, not refer to them as “hey red head, you sure are pretty”.

You are derailing the thread, and I'm following along for the ride.

You obviously have not been in too many locker rooms where people were talking as "cute red head" does not even exist in the same world as "locker room talk".

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, as Jill is no beauty (IMHO), so perhaps the comment was actually made to give Jill a boost of ego, since it was obvious she had not rehearsed her answers to the questions very well as they could have been much better.

There aren't many people with $70K incomes who can afford to retire at 40, not even if they've been saving 50% of their take-home income. What they may be doing is trading wage slavery at Megacorp for self-employment, maintaining their rental properties and vegetable plots.

I think soupcxan is referring to "she is kinda cute" comment by haha..

I thought it was the "Lifestyle Creep" comment.:LOL:

I have w@rked many, many, many Saturdays, Sundays, New Years, Good Fridays, Easters, Memorial Days, Independence Days, Labor Days, Veterans Days, Thanksgivings, Christmas Eves, and Christmas' in 35 years. I had to make sure your lights turned on when you "flicked" the switch.

Charlie Rose, w@rking at 75, is someone who thinks they're more important and influential in their own mind, than they really are. He and many others, should have retired many years ago.

Last edited:

IMO, you are being way too sensitive. And that actually can be a problem, as it waters down the more serous offenses. If everything is labelled "offensive", people become numb to it.

OK, my two daughters are "cute blondes". They are both attractive young women, what the heck is offensive about that?

Now, putting beauty ahead of competence is a problem, but it sure is no secret that for TV personalities in general, appearance is a factor. I think it was Garrison Keillor who said "I have a face made for radio!".

-ERD50

I think the clip lacked substance. Other than defining FIRE, it did very little to promote the cause. Probably created more confusion than anything.

There are so many ways to FIRE, this one focused on the hardest way.

Who was happy with 25x at 40?

That's the worst I've heard. In all my years working in silicon valley I've never seen them ask someone to work Thanksgiving.

Years ago I worked for an [-]idiot[/-] manager who scheduled an early morning meeting in a city half way across the country, on the Monday after Easter Sunday. That meant that we all had to fly out no later than early afternoon on Easter.

Thankfully, some of the participants who did not report to the manager just refused to travel on Easter and he was forced to reschedule the meeting.

Back
Top Bottom