Ceiling fan direction by season

She’s wrong. The air will cycle from ceiling to floor and back regardless of which direction the blades rotate. Clockwise down in summer feels cooler because the fan concentrates the airflow like a nozzle Counterclockwise up in winter keeps the heat from collecting on the ceiling but feels less breezy since the airflow is being dispersed across the ceiling and washing down the walls.

There’s a point where a very high ceiling might be better to just leave the fan off and let the summer heat collect up there.

There’s a point where a very high ceiling might be better to just leave the fan off and let the summer heat collect up there.
I have a open living room with double high ceiling, and it always feels cooler with the fan running. It's only a foot or so from the 2nd floor ceiling. I think it's just the cooling effect of the fan blowing air on me. It's like when you're outside on a hot day, it feels cooler to have a little breeze than still air.

In the summer I prefer to have the air moving over my skin to get the benefit of increasing the evaporation effect. In the winter not so much. Other than that I don't care if the fan is blowing sideways. Once it is on for a minute or two the temperature of the air in the room has circulated enough to become pretty much uniform throughout. Not rocket science.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom