Cellphone Rant.... warning it's long

Thanks for sharing!

You confirmed to me:
- Don't buy from Amazon

I bought an unlocked phone from Amazon and didn't have a problem at all.

I have as well. Bought 2 Motorola Android phones on Amazon for DW and I about 18 months ago, no issues migrating from our older phones to them on our Verizon account. Just had to get a SIM card from them and everything else was done online. I am considering buying a 3rd phone via Amazon as a backup should any problems occur with our current phones.

I have as well. Bought 2 Motorola Android phones on Amazon for DW and I about 18 months ago, no issues migrating from our older phones to them on our Verizon account. Just had to get a SIM card from them and everything else was done online. I am considering buying a 3rd phone via Amazon as a backup should any problems occur with our current phones.

I just keep my old phone as a backup.

My older one takes a larger sim, but I just put the tiny sim inside a punched out frame from a 3in1 sim, so it seems bigger and fits in the phone.
I did this last summer, so I could use my regular phone with a googleFi sim since we were going out of the country.

After the trip, I switched the sim back and had my regular phone with my regular phone number.

Third party sales and Amazon sales matter. It doesn't have to mean that Amazon makes it, rather Amazon handles the inventory under their own conditions. Look for "Sold by: Amazon.com"

Some of the third party sellers sell some weird phones, like those that were originally targeted for a foreign market. You'll notice the model number is a bit off. Stay away from those if you go Amazon. It is just my preference to take the possibility completely off the table by avoiding Amazon. YMMV.

I didn't read through the entire OP, but I saw some refs to buying unlocked phones from Amazon, some with good results some with bad. So my short story:

I had bought several unlocked phones from Amazon over the years, used them on the AT&T/T-Mobile network, all went well.

A few years back, repeated this for phones for myself and DW. I learn months later, that her phone was originally meant to go to AT&T Mexico. We got a software/firmware update and the notices were in Spanish! What's up? Her "Software Channel" was listed as “attmx”, mine (which updated properly) was “retus”. We had also moved to Ting Mobile by then (uses T-Mobile network)

To keep the story short, the "attmx" updates weren't compatible with the US system (or at least the Ting system didn't think so), so they were going to kick us off the system when the latest updates were being distributed.

Bottom line, I don't trust these 3rd party unlocked phones anymore. I had good luck, and then I didn't. So I ditched my frugal ways, and bought 2 new phones directly from Ting, so that I didn't face these issues (hopefully!). Price wasn't bad, selection was more of an issue.

My 2 cents - ERD50

My kids and their dad had great luck buying unlocked phones from eBay. I bought 2 from the same seller for my husband and I and both were nothing but problems and by 3 months old didn’t work. Now I buy directly from my cell phone company and have them set it up in the store. Then I use it as long as possible.

In 2013, I kicked the kids off our Sprint family plan and shut it down. Haven't stepped foot in a cell phone store since then.

We only use low-cost MVNOs. Currently DW has Visible (Verizon) and I have Tello (T-Mobile). We switch carriers a lot... always looking for the best deal on data for our van travels. I've learned the ins-and-outs of porting, so rarely have an issue.

DW likes the Moto G line of Android phones. I buy them unlocked on Amazon for around $200. Never a problem.

I like a slightly higher-end phone. I've used OnePlus in the past. Current phone is a Google Pixel 6. I've been very happy with both. The camera on the Pixel 6 is absolutely amazing.

I would never touch a carrier-locked phone.

This is one reason I like Google FI.

We pay about $30 a month. We both got new 5G phones for $80 each in November, shipped to us in a few days. We got our prior phones maybe 2 years ago? (and i use a cheapy case to help when I drop mine). No sim cards, same number, easy.
Google Fi, checko!
I got a new Pixel 7 a while ago and am flying to Australia tomorrow.
Happy me...

My wife used Google Fi. We ended up dropping it. For our area, the quality was so poor. Voice sounded like someone was playing a guitar, an elongated twang distortion of your voice. Dropped calls. Lots of fuzziness. She was using it for work and customers complained about the quality. We switched to T Mobile. We use a family plan - me Apple, her Android. We pay about $70 a month. Quality is so much better.

That seems odd since T Mobile is one of Fi's primary carriers in the US...

Last edited:
both the portee and porter don't know how to work together to get it done!
This is another part of the story I didn't mention...Like it wasn't long enough.
The salesgirl at T-Moblile mentioned she had a friend that worked at Verizon, and called her to see if she could help... But she was off ...
BUT.. the next day when we went to Verizon, This girl was there and ended up taking care of us, and they worked together texting each other to get us fixed up.. The Verizon girl was the former manager at the T-Mobile store.

Or some will cap the high speed hot spot and then dial it down at some point.
Thats what we have, but have gone from 30 to 50 GB before getting cut back. We dont stream alot but can still watch Amazon movies after it hits the limit.

Bought 2 Motorola Android phones on Amazon no issues migrating from our older phones to them on our Verizon account. I am considering buying a 3rd phone via Amazon as a backup should any problems occur with our current phones.

We are Moto fans too, and have done several replacement phones over the years without issues. The DW new phone was $399, Same one unlocked from Verizon $89.

OP I don't think you said if accidentally bought a locked phone or they sent you the wrong phone. In hindsight your mistake was getting ticked at the wrong people ( the Verizon store)....they did nothing wrong. As someone who lives rural I can tell you NEVER switch carriers without being certain it will work in your area.

I feel for you but most of this was self inflicted...one other things as part of a couple when do something this have one person do it so it doesn't turn into a cluster.

I don't think the OP has done anything to cause this. Porting out your phone # is a problem with most cell operators. My son and his wife have been trying to port out their numbers from Redpocket to ATT for over 2 weeks now. They and DW and I have spent numerous hours on calls, texts, emails to both Redpocket and ATT and have gotten nowhere.
DIL's phone number is being held up since Redpocket can't figure out how to remove her phone from our family plan, and we can't do it online. Keep getting an error.
As simple as cell operators make it seem to port your number it is a nightmare. And both the portee and porter don't know how to work together to get it done!

This must be a complete accident..not!

In 2013, I kicked the kids off our Sprint family plan and shut it down. Haven't stepped foot in a cell phone store since then.

We only use low-cost MVNOs. Currently DW has Visible (Verizon) and I have Tello (T-Mobile). We switch carriers a lot... always looking for the best deal on data for our van travels. I've learned the ins-and-outs of porting, so rarely have an issue.

DW likes the Moto G line of Android phones. I buy them unlocked on Amazon for around $200. Never a problem.

I like a slightly higher-end phone. I've used OnePlus in the past. Current phone is a Google Pixel 6. I've been very happy with both. The camera on the Pixel 6 is absolutely amazing.

I would never touch a carrier-locked phone.

This is nice if you live in the right place...we don't and are carrier locked...

I bought an unlocked phone from Amazon and didn't have a problem at all.

I had trouble with purchasing a phone (2 different times) off Amazon. I've had excellent luck on eBay (3 used phones purchased at 3 different times).

I have purchased my last three phones from Best Buy. Currently have a Moto One 5G Ace. I was using Mint but changed to T-Mobile connect as I had severe de-prioritization in several locations where routinely used the phone.

T-Mobile connect is a prepaid plan, which offers the same priority as T-Mobile postpaid plans. Interestingly, if you try to purchase it at a T-Mobile store, they will deny it exists (probably make no commission).

If anyone is interested: T-Mobile Connect

DIL's phone number is being held up since Redpocket can't figure out how to remove her phone from our family plan, and we can't do it online.

That is the main reason they offer family/group plans; to make it tough for anyone in the group to leave for another carrier.

Turbo, I have a prepaid T-Mobile plan that costs a flat fee of 15/month that my kids told me about. It had to be done online.

I also recently attempted switching both my and my mother's cell provider. it was not smooth and the tracfone support was a joke.

I ended up switching mine to tello. it was super easy. The phone was from tracfone and unlocked. The sim card activation and number porting took about 20 minutes and everything including wifi calling worked.

my mother's phone continues to be on tracfone. Once the reward points are used up, I will help her switching to tello.

We are just a number in Verizon / Verizon owned tracfone / tmobile. There is no service to speak of when things go sideways.

OP I don't think you said if accidentally bought a locked phone or they sent you the wrong phone.
They sent the wrong phone. And made it right with a refund.

In hindsight your mistake was getting ticked at the wrong people ( the Verizon store)....they did nothing wrong.
The 1st Verizon store is the 0nly one that I'm ticked with. They pushed for me to buy a new phone and contract plan, and fraud locked my phone because I didn't. Come to find out its not a true Verizon store, But an authorized company called Victra that advertises itself as Verizon.

As someone who lives rural...
Thats us too.. But T-Mobile checked there maps twice saying we were covered. 3rd time they said OPPS

I feel for you but most of this was self inflicted...one other things as part of a couple when do something this have one person do it so it doesn't turn into a cluster.

Can't argue that point to much, But we were together for most of this.

Rural coverage maps are often unreliable. T-Mobile's map says we have coverage at home, but we don't. It was fine for a year, relying upon wifi calling at home. However, our rural internet wasn't very reliable either, leaving us without phone coverage with a disabled at-risk kid. We are with Verizon now. Not the cheapest but the most reliable for us.

If you are rural switching to save a few bucks can backfire...I have a lot of local friends on FB. At one point we were thinking of doing a switch so I casually asked on FB how many of you use something besides Verizon and how is your coverage?

Universal replies saying well X company said we'd have coverage and we don't or Y company says no problem you are good and they weren't. We're lucky to get our 2 bars on Verizon. We live around 15 miles from a town of 20K plus but nada.

Can't argue that point to much, But we were together for most of this.

Aggravating that they sent the wrong phone, to put it mildly....

As far as fraud locking your number that happens more often now for various reasons...my SIL had her non smart phone cloned for some international calls. They bricked her fairly new phone and locked her number instantly. I think it all computer driven. I think the phone companies have figured out it easier to say "Sorry" then risk fraud of any kind...

I don't know why you were so mad that Verizon tried to sell you a new phone as you ended up with one anyway....

Last edited:
Finally, someone who had more issues switching than I did. Could not get unlocked Verizon phones to work with Mint Mobile. Spare phones from DS worked. Coverage was not good with the Mint Mobile (T-Mobile) network. Since this was a 7-day test with a temp number, the only cost was my time. A lot of it. Back and forth between Mint Mobile and Verizon. Since coverage was not good, we abandoned Mint Mobile.

Decided on Spectrum as we are Spectrum Internet customers and they have a good deal that works for us. They use the Verizon network. DW's phone transitioned perfectly. My brand new, purchased from Spectrum, phone had issues.

Was told so many wrong things by Spectrum. We were going on a trip so we asked them to delay shipment of my phone. "No problem!" Well they shipped right away so the device sat at the Fedex store for a few days. Got to the store right before they closed. It was scheduled to go back to Spectrum the next morning. In hindsight this would have been good as the phone was defective. That is why it kept dropping the connection.

As it was, I was told that I had a 14 day trial for the phone. The 14 days started when I ordered it. So by the time I picked it up, had the local store configure it and spent a few days working on the phone not fully working, my 14 days were up. I spent so many hours and trips to Spectrum store trying to get the problem fixed. Every call would be an hour of waiting and trying the SAME XYZ$%* things. "It must be your Sim card." "Oh, you have your Sim card in your wife's phone." "Oh, lets go through every step again, for the 10 time." Me: Don't you see how many times I have called? Don't you think we should try something different? Them: Sir, there we must......

Eventually, after about 10 calls, I asked them to do something different. They did an escalation. But since it is a return, it has to be done by the billing department. There is no direct number to the billing department. You must call. Have them try to fix it with you, then they bounce you to billing or some other random department. But I now have an escalation number. It has been 3 weeks and no one has contacted me about my escalation number.

In the mean time, someone told me that the manufacturer (Motorola) has a 2 year warranty. So I called them. Told them my problem and the steps I had taken. POW! New phone at my house in 3 days. And instead of the exact same phone, this one has 256GB of data instead of the 64GB of data on my original phone.

Spectrum still shows my phone as the original 64GB phone. I don't know if Motorola let them know that they replaced the phone. I suspect not because it shows the old phone.

Will Spectrum ever do anything about my escalation?

And, what did I do wrong?

Z3 with a brand new phone purchased through your provider once you have swapped out the SIM card if it doesn't work dont keep returning to the store. My DH had a problem with a bad SIM on a Samsung purchased new from V. Swapped out the SIM and it was fine...after a second SIM doesn't take care of the problem use the old line.. it's not me, it's the phone! You were too nice...

Z3 with a brand new phone purchased through your provider once you have swapped out the SIM card if it doesn't work dont keep returning to the store. My DH had a problem with a bad SIM on a Samsung purchased new from V. Swapped out the SIM and it was fine...after a second SIM doesn't take care of the problem use the old line.. it's not me, it's the phone! You were too nice...

Yeah, only replaced the Sim card once. They did the "you have your wife's Sim card" excuse multiple times. They switched on their end and it did not matter. In fact, their system still shows I have her Sim card. Also, multiple times they said I had not seated the Sim card properly and I needed to remove and re-install.

It appears that their tech support will never, ever, never suggest it must be a defective phone and Spectrum should replace.

Oh, and one of the worst customer support issues is the relationship between stores and the phone support people. Went to one Spectrum store. They did not have my model phone. They could order it and have it shipped to me, but I would have to pay for the phone all over again. Me: "Do I get a credit for returning my defective phone?" Them: "No."

Store: "You could drive to the store which is 15 minutes away." Me:"Can you check their inventory in your computer?" Store:"No."

Me: "Can you call the other store?" Store: "No, we have NO phones in this store."

One store appeared to have my phone but said they could not help me as there is a wall between local stores and the call up folks. The bricks and mortar place could not help me, at all.

Back
Top Bottom