Cellphone Rant.... warning it's long

Todays story. Go to verizion corp store for new I phone 12 or se. Whoops,don't have any.
Told us to go to best buy or apple.
Best buy had one phone. Tried to get into our account with there computer,no go.
Off tomorrow to apple store,called,they have stock.
Crazy no inventory,in store.
Oldmike

Last edited:
Slightly OT. We're in Mazatlan and decided to get a Mexico SIM card for one of our phones so that we can talk to aging parents back home plus have some data when we're out for texts or map reading. In Cdn funds:

- Sim card $5
- unlimited long distance and text to Mexico, US, and Canada plus 3g of data for 30 days $14

Purchase was hassle free and from start to finish took about 10 minutes.

Oh yeah, don't fall for the esim trap. You'd think they could activate this over the phone or online. No they have to mail you a card with a barcode on it. No difference than [-]getting[/-] waiting for a new sim. At least for ATT.

Oh yeah, don't fall for the esim trap. You'd think they could activate this over the phone or online. No they have to mail you a card with a barcode on it. No difference than [-]getting[/-] waiting for a new sim. At least for ATT.

No problem using an eSIM on my Android phone when I switched from one prepaid carrier to another a few days ago.

Essentially zero delay in switching carriers though to be fair both are MVNOs running on Verizon.

Bought a used unlocked Samsung Galaxy S10 last year on Amazon. Installed SIM card (Verizon) from Straight Talk. I could make phone calls and access internet but not at the same time. If I was on the phone then the internet would stop working so basically VoLTE was not working and no way to enable it on the phone. Spent many hours with Straight Talk tech support and even went to the local Samsung store but couldn't get it to work. Finally, I posted the problem on a Galaxy S10 Android forum and some kind person explained why this was happening and how to fix it. The previous owner of the phone was on T-mobile and when I installed the Verizon SIM card it did not update to Verizon's firmware. The solution was to download the correct firmware to my computer and use another program to flash the correct firmware to the S10.

Would I buy from Amazon again? Probably, now that I know where to go for help.

Whew!

What a nightmarish story! So happy to have Consumer Cellular. Have never been in a phone store. We have two phones from them. One has AT&T and the other T-Mobile. Works well when we travel. Glad you’re back in business.

We switched from Verizon (25 year customers) to T-Mobile a few weeks ago. Our 24 year old techy son started it with his phone and then we all globbed onto his account.

I'm sorry you had so many issues. I'm going to call our son and thank him profusely for figuring it all out for us!

I can't believe what we have been through. If anything could go wrong, it did. Including a very near car accident. I have been without a phone since Dec 29th !!!!!

vintage-rotary-dial-phone-mid-century-StrombergCarlson-wall-phone-with-bell-Laurel-Leaf-Farm-item-no-u3545-1.jpg

Our phone was built in 1964. We rescued it from an antique shop about 15 years ago for $12. It still works as well today as it did when it was made 59 years ago.

Zero frustration. :D

What a nightmarish story! So happy to have Consumer Cellular. Have never been in a phone store. We have two phones from them. One has AT&T and the other T-Mobile. Works well when we travel. Glad you’re back in business.

I have a question. You say you have Consumer Cellular, but then you say one phone is AT&T and one has T-Mobile. Aren't these mutually exclusive. Consumer Cellular can't also be ATT or TMobile...right?

But to add to the conversation..and I'm following all like a great (or not) novel....
I had Consumer Cellular..they were GREAT, but I got an offer from Comcast, that I couldn't refuse..just as I was plannng to buy a Google Pixel, Comcast told me, they'd give me one for free, if I switched to them, and my bill is $15 a month, for unlimited text and call, data is limited, but if I go over the limit, then that month it would be $30...it has worked. Switching was a bare, but only because Consumer Cellular tells you in one spot their (secret) pin is 4 digits but it's really 6. My fault for not talking to them directly. Putting in the wrong one, put me in a viscous loop of wrongness, that even when using the right one, I couldn't get out of , for 5 days. But all ported over to Comcast correctly, finally, with my new Pixel (and it's SIM).

I just read this entire thread, for the first time.

I have never had any of these phone problems at all, so my guess is that either I am some sort of intuitive cell phone genius, or (much more likely!) I have been very lucky.

vintage-rotary-dial-phone-mid-century-StrombergCarlson-wall-phone-with-bell-Laurel-Leaf-Farm-item-no-u3545-1.jpg

Our phone was built in 1964. We rescued it from an antique shop about 15 years ago for $12. It still works as well today as it did when it was made 59 years ago.

Zero frustration. :D

Yup, I used to have one of those too. The problem is that you can only use it when you are at home.

I have a question. You say you have Consumer Cellular, but then you say one phone is AT&T and one has T-Mobile. Aren't these mutually exclusive. Consumer Cellular can't also be ATT or TMobile...right?
Believe it or not, HGTVFanatic did not misspeak.

CC is an "MVNO" which means it doesn't have its own network, it contracts with the big providers and uses theirs. Most of this is behind the scenes, and most customers have no idea they are riding the pigtails of a big carrier.

However, if you dig, you will find you can choose a sim that is connected to either AT&T or T-Mobile. Most people who use CC don't do this and most get assigned to T-Mobile these days. But not all.

T-Mo used to have some big holes (Nebraska) so a CC customer there would certainly want an AT&T sim.

I visit remote areas of my state that have strong AT&T but weak T-Mo, so I intentionally got an AT&T sim for my CC account.

HGTVFanatic's strategy of having one on each network is actually pretty smart. If you and your partner are traveling in traditional low coverage areas (great plains, etc.), it is nice to have options for emergencies.

But to add to the conversation..and I'm following all like a great (or not) novel....
I had Consumer Cellular..they were GREAT, but I got an offer from Comcast, that I couldn't refuse..just as I was plannng to buy a Google Pixel, Comcast told me, they'd give me one for free, if I switched to them, and my bill is $15 a month, for unlimited text and call, data is limited, but if I go over the limit, then that month it would be $30...it has worked. Switching was a bare, but only because Consumer Cellular tells you in one spot their (secret) pin is 4 digits but it's really 6. My fault for not talking to them directly. Putting in the wrong one, put me in a viscous loop of wrongness, that even when using the right one, I couldn't get out of , for 5 days. But all ported over to Comcast correctly, finally, with my new Pixel (and it's SIM).

The cable company's plans can be good for many people. As a cord cutter on non-cable fiber, it is no good for me. They use a technology that bounces between Wifi and cell towers. This works pretty well and most people don't care. It would not work for me due to my requirements in very rural areas of my state where it technically doesn't work well. There are details here I'm cutting out because they don't apply to most people.

I would not dissuade anyone from checking them out, they can be good plans IF you have cable based TV and/or internet. Additionally, Comcast/Xfinity and Spectrum use Verizon's network when on the cell tower. Verizon has an excellent network. This technology also paid my wage (in a way) for 5 years as I worked on one tiny component of the network to make it happen. :)

CC's 1 line plan is $20 now for 1G. They recently adjusted some prices lower.

Last edited:
We use the MVNO* Red Pocket Mobile. Similar to CC, you can choose any network when you set up your account. We chose AT&T.

No matter what network you choose, our plan is unlimited US talk & text and 3G of data for $20/no on autopay... end up $21.81 after taxes and fees on my most recent bill... so IMO a better value than CC.

* Mobile Virtual Network Operator

Last edited:
Many of the posts on this useful thread (including my first) list specific one off problems or poor customer service. Other than those things that cannot be predicted, one should
  1. See which network has the best coverage map in the areas you frequent.
  2. Obviously, select an MVNO that has the best plan and uses that best network.
  3. Use a free trial to see if it works with your existing phone.
  4. Or, if you buy a phone you can buy one from the carrier.
  5. Or, there are many places you can buy a cheaper phone but beware! It may not be unlocked. It may need new firmware. It may need a special sim.

Is that about it?

Oh, many on this thread had horrible experiences going into the store. Take your blood pressure meds before this journey.

Oh, many on this thread had horrible experiences going into the store. Take your blood pressure meds before this journey.

That's the biggest surprise to me that I learned on this thread!

The store is supposed to be staffed by Gen-Zers that grew up with a cell phone in their crib and should be wizards at this.

Turns it it isn't true. Who knew?

Current carrier store experiences to resolve technical issues not bad at all but it was really best to go when they were not busy. It’s been many many years and several phones now since we’ve had to step into a store. Seems like since we’ve been ordering the Apple universal phone and not needing to mess with additional SIMs or moving SIMs between phones, support issues have completely disappeared. It’s been many many years since we’ve needed any customer service at all, even when upgrading plans online.

Previous carrier store was a zoo and totally unhelpful. Customer service what a joke, they would only sell phones. I think I was eventually able to resolve via call-in customer service. But it was so very long ago I don’t remember the details.

Last edited:
Many of the posts on this useful thread (including my first) list specific one off problems or poor customer service. Other than those things that cannot be predicted, one should
  1. See which network has the best coverage map in the areas you frequent.
In terms of coverage - check out WiFi calling. This serves very well in many cases. You need good cell coverage when out running errands or long drives, but at our home we have poor signal strength from anybody*, yet WiFi calling works fantastic.

Still a lot of our neighbors seem to be clueless about it or hit their carrier up for some kind of booster or antenna.

*since moving to 5G capable phone coverage has greatly improved and home signal strength better, but WiFi calling still best at home. We live in a Faraday cage.

Last edited:
Our debacle with Red Pocket continues. My son and DIL want to quit and go to ATT because of various problems they've had with RP. I successfully switched to ATT after over a month of continued talks, texts, etc. Now they're having the same problems switching. My DW has to wait until March to switch, when her phone will be released from contract.
Makes me almost want to go back to pagers. Almost.

We ported two different cellphones from airvoicewireless to Red Pocket in the second half of 2022. Went fairly smoothly.

The problem that I have now is each month airvoice wireless looks to charge me for service... the charge never goes through but I get annoying texts on the charges.

You really mean you bought the phone from a third party vendor who sells through Amazon. Correct?

Of course. Amazon doesn't make phones. I didn't think that I needed to clarify that.

Actually you do. I bought 2 phones from Amazon, from Amazon, not a third party, and both were unlocked phones which worked on Tello and Visible.

If you buy the annual plan from red pocket you can save $5/mo ($15 vs $20) and if you buy the annual plan off ebay rather than their website you don't have to pay taxes/fees.
$180 yr unlimited w/3GB data

If you buy the annual plan from red pocket you can save $5/mo ($15 vs $20) and if you buy the annual plan off ebay rather than their website you don't have to pay taxes/fees.
$180 yr unlimited w/3GB data

Want to live with them for a while more and see how the service works at our other home but that is something to consider.

CC is the service — phones and billing. Your SIM card determines the carrier. However, weird story is that I thought my husband and I both had AT&T but after I had to call CC because of a phone issue, I was informed he had AT&T and I had T-Mobile.

Back
Top Bottom