Central Air Conditioner

After some research, it would appear that Freon (R-22) will be phased out in 2010.

Problem with leaks in old equipment is after decades the tubing itself can become slightly pourous and while the leaks dont show up as leaks when tested there are many spots like that where the freon permeates thru the walls of the weakening tubing . the most cost effective thing you can do is fix the big leaks if any and recharge the unit yourself every year if need be.

charging the unit is a piece of cake as long as the system isnt totaly empty.

fixing the leaks initially will require some knowledge and equipment to do.

mathjak107 said:
r22 is still avail , no problem.
Patrick said:
Dan, I believe R-22 is still available, so I wouldn't rule out a repair yet. See if you can get a technician to come over and do a diagnostic for a reasonable price. Even if R-22 is $50/lb (not likely), you'll still be money ahead recharging if they can fix the leak for a reasonable price - the units only use a few pounds of refrigerant.
HFWR said:
After some research, it would appear that Freon (R-22) will be phased out in 2010.
I'll get some more guys out and see what comes of it...thks very much for sharing your knowledge everyone...
:)

A/C or refrigeration units using R-22 can not be manufactured after 2010. However, R-22 itself can be manufactured till 2020. And after that, it will still be available in the marketplace for many years to come, just like R-12 is still available so many years later.

The newer eco-friendly, at least for now, refrigerant is R-410, sometimes called "Puron", it's most common trademarked name. It runs with considerably higher pressures, and is not compatible with equipment designed for R-22. R-410 also requires different service equipment.

If your A/C service people there are going by the letter, they can not keep repeatedly recharging a leaking system.

Slow leaks can be very difficult to find. To find a condensor or evaporator leak, your system will be stressed further by disconnecting the fan or blower to kill airflow so the leak detector can sniff it. And leaks in a line set can also be very hard, sometimes impossible to find.

I would not put a new condensor unit on a 25 year old evap and line set!

If you need A/C in the summer, replace it next spring before the rush.

Telly said:
A/C or refrigeration units using R-22 can not be manufactured after 2010. However, R-22 itself can be manufactured till 2020. And after that, it will still be available in the marketplace for many years to come, just like R-12 is still available so many years later.

The newer eco-friendly, at least for now, refrigerant is R-410, sometimes called "Puron", it's most common trademarked name. It runs with considerably higher pressures, and is not compatible with equipment designed for R-22. R-410 also requires different service equipment.

If your A/C service people there are going by the letter, they can not keep repeatedly recharging a leaking system.

Slow leaks can be very difficult to find. To find a condensor or evaporator leak, your system will be stressed further by disconnecting the fan or blower to kill airflow so the leak detector can sniff it. And leaks in a line set can also be very hard, sometimes impossible to find.

I would not put a new condensor unit on a 25 year old evap and line set!

If you need A/C in the summer, replace it next spring before the rush.
thks telly

Having been in the business for many years it always amazed me how refrigeration and air conditioning repairing was kind of like a black art like automatic transmissions and bicycle derauellers..

Like automatic transmissions , people would rebuild an engine , do body work but never touch an automatic transmission. By the same token people would re-wire an entire house and do anything electrical but the black art of repairing an air conditioner was out of bounds.

Truth is basic stuff is sooooooo easy to do ,especially the non electrical trouble shooting.

mathjak107 said:
Truth is basic stuff is sooooooo easy to do ,especially the non electrical trouble shooting.

Easy for you to say. I have trouble replacing a furnace filter without screwing it up. :)

JG

I just had my cousin MacGyver over - he duct-taped the entire AC system and said it was good to go now.
Bill - 1 dozen rolls of DT - 3 beers - $30!

Hip Hip hurray............Hip Hip Hurray!

What I have seen some HVAC people use in the past other than duct tape, or 200 mph tape as others have called it, is that mirror type, or shiny tape that seems to last a bit longer than duct tape. Just a bit of info.

Glad it worked out DanTien

Funny this topic comes up. A buddy of mine just showed me a quote he got on a 3 ton heat pump for $7,700. The quote breaks it down this way:

1) 3 ton heat pump $4,324
2) Misc Hook up supplies $1,456
3) Labor to tear out old unit $960
4) Labor to install new unit $960
Total $7,700

Seems darn high to me. I told him to get another quote.

I've been off the scope for awhile enjoying the hell out of ER but this thread got me going. Things are different (laid-back) here at the beach. My A/C really needs updating. The air handler is a moldy old Janitrol and the noisy, old heat pump out back has been under salt water at leat 3 times in 7 years. So I called the island's best and most reputable outfit and asked for an estimate. The guy came right out and crawled around the attic then said he could replace "everything" for $5400. I asked for a written quote so he went back to the truck and returned a few minutes later and handed me his business card. On the back it said 5 4 0 0.

Not content with a single quote, tomorrow I'll be hosting the representative from No Sweat Air Conditioning. This should be good. 8)

BUM said:
I've been off the scope for awhile enjoying the hell out of ER but this thread got me going. Things are different (laid-back) here at the beach. My A/C really needs updating. The air handler is a moldy old Janitrol and the noisy, old heat pump out back has been under salt water at leat 3 times in 7 years. So I called the island's best and most reputable outfit and asked for an estimate. The guy came right out and crawled around the attic then said he could replace "everything" for $5400. I asked for a written quote so he went back to the truck and returned a few minutes later and handed me his business card. On the back it said 5 4 0 0.

Not content with a single quote, tomorrow I'll be hosting the representative from No Sweat Air Conditioning. This should be good. 8)

What island are you on?

Back
Top Bottom