Changed Auto Engine Oil. Runs Smoother?

I've noticed that it seemed to run better after an oil change but always assumed it was psychological. Same thing happens when freshly washed.

I did notice that when freshly washed the airplane actually did go 5mph faster than when dirty at the same power setting. But north of 120 mph lots of dirt particles will start to produce measurable drag.

... Seems, right after the oil change, Auto seems to run smoother and quieter...

I always thought my vehicles ran smoother right after I washed them!

Back more than 20 years ago when I still cared about my car, driving to work on Monday after spending a good part of the weekend not just changing oil, but also washing and waxing the car, man, oh man, I swore the car ran smoother, accelerated faster.

And I also felt like a million buck, and walked up straight and so confidently across the parking lot going into the work building.

Hmm... Now that I actually have some bucks, I do not feel anything, and trudge all the time with dropped shoulders. No, not like when you were in your late 20s, driving a shiny car.

Last edited:
Rapping lifters

I had a VW Syncro. Awesome car! I changed the oil every 5000 miles. The lifters would start rapping after about 1000 miles. They would get louder and louder until I changed the oil. Then all was quiet again....Placebo? No way!

None of my other cars have ever savored fresh oil the way the Syncro did.

Now for an easy one. My car always runs better, quieter, better mpg when I put in synthetic oil vs regular oil. :D

Now for an easy one. My car always runs better, quieter, better mpg when I put in synthetic oil vs regular oil. :D

I can buy into the real impact of synthetic. We don't drive much so I'm not willing to pay for it.

The only time I knew regular oil made a difference was in my '68 Ford F-100. Thing got 20 miles to a quart of oil. When I changed to straight 40 weight and added 4 cans of STP oil treatment it definitely ran better. Hottest plugs with 'non-foulers'. As soon as I had $75 for a used 390 it had a new engine. The choke and exhaust were a challange.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

My vehicles always ran the same before and after I changed the oil.

But the real satisfaction came immediately after the job. I would trudge down to The Viking Bar in my oil stained work clothes and swap shade tree mechanic tales with my buddy Spike.

Bragging rights- Priceless :D

I can buy into the real impact of synthetic. We don't drive much so I'm not willing to pay for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

If your car has a turbocharger, synthetic oil is a must, and it will be clearly specified in the owner's manual. Lots of newer cars are being equipped with turbos to provide added HP and torque in the smaller displacement engines. Smaller displacement, along with other factors, aids in increasing engine efficiency and fuel economy.

If your car has a turbocharger, synthetic oil is a must, and it will be clearly specified in the owner's manual. Lots of newer cars are being equipped with turbos to provide added HP and torque in the smaller displacement engines. Smaller displacement, along with other factors, aids in increasing engine efficiency and fuel economy.

We had a turbo MR-2. It and my driving privileges were mutually exclusive. It left.

Here in MN, I use synthetic all the time. In the winter, it is mandatory if you want your car to start.

Not sure....................

When I wash mine, they run better..............

Have always changed all fluids according to the recommendations.

Oil, transmission,brake, power steering, etc. Doing this has saved me a good desk of maintenance issues over the years. But, we keep our vehicles for 15 plus years.

If your car has a turbocharger, synthetic oil is a must, and it will be clearly specified in the owner's manual. ...

That's not universal. My 2000 Volvo S40 is a turbo, the manual does not call for synthetic.

Follow the manual, no matter what your configuration.

-ERD50

That's not universal. My 2000 Volvo S40 is a turbo, the manual does not call for synthetic.

Follow the manual, no matter what your configuration.

-ERD50

Probably older models with turbos didn't require it, my bad as I am not that knowledgeable on early turbos.

But the newer ones with variable vanes (no wastegate) and spinning at 200,000 RPM, are spec'd for full synthetic oil to minimized shaft wear and coking up from Dino oil failure.

Thanks for the replies. Wish there was an auto/engineer/expert, with data.

Still, interesting, some of you have the same experience I have.

Also, agree with poster, car seems to run smoother on freeway after waxing.:LOL:

I have noticed the same effect, my car runs better after I change the oil. While I might not save money doing it, I know its done right with a very good filter, and no chance of "accidentally" slitting the CV boots.

Real simple question. Been changing my Auto engine oil for past 50 years.

Seems, right after the oil change, Auto seems to run smoother and quieter.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or is it just psychological?

Anyone, do any real experiment with data?:greetings10:

I've always felt my cars run better after I wash and wax them. :D

I have never changed the oil in my car, and I don't think it will change/improve anything . . . it's electric!

I bet it would run better with some kind of green energy. (solar, wind, ...) :cool:

Back
Top Bottom