Chattanooga recon mission ...

Our likes in order - Knoxville, Clarksville, Chattanooga, Murfreesbourough, and Nashville. ... All are very nice areas, but traffic and congestion are deterrents for us.

We've considered Chattanooga for the same reasons mentioned already. What makes me pause is the traffic on I-24 and I-75. It's just horrible and it seems that every single time we go in our out on I-24 (the ridge cut and for about 20 miles west of that), there is an accident backing up traffic for hours. Since that and I-75 would be the main in/out road for us, we have moved Chatt farther down our list.
We have to go through Chattanooga to get to our RV in Helen, GA. We seldom during the daytime make it through that city without hitting debilitating traffic in downtown. I've seen traffic backed up 50 miles to the base of Monteagle Mountain even. I've tried other routes thru Georgia, and still cannot make decent time. The traffic is a Chattanooga issue.

Yipes.

Thanks for mentioning the traffic problems around Chattanooga. I didn't realize that was such an issue.

Last edited:
Interesting thread for me and DW. Have just decided to build a new house on Signal Mountain. 20 min from downtown Chat. when traffic is good ;)
As a retiree, we can avoid rush our and the supermarket on top of Signal Mnt is very good. The air temperature is pretty much always 4 F cooler than downtown so that's a real bonus.

Interesting thread for me and DW. Have just decided to build a new house on Signal Mountain. 20 min from downtown Chat. when traffic is good ;)
As a retiree, we can avoid rush our and the supermarket on top of Signal Mnt is very good. The air temperature is pretty much always 4 F cooler than downtown so that's a real bonus.

I once came across Signal Mountain down into the city. Got behind a Signal Mountain housewife driving a minivan. She about scared me to death, as she knew exactly how fast her vehicle could take the downhill curves. That's a wonderful community--so close, but so far.

I once came across Signal Mountain down into the city. Got behind a Signal Mountain housewife driving a minivan. She about scared me to death, as she knew exactly how fast her vehicle could take the downhill curves. That's a wonderful community--so close, but so far.

That made me laugh - I've been tailgated down the same road by a local. They know how to drive those hairpins!

Visited there once. Loved it.

Back
Top Bottom