China 'is more popular' than US

Notth said:
Was that anything like Kent State?

By the way, before any 3rd parties get riled up, I dont doubt China is probably a bad place.  I'm just pointing out that I dont simply and automatically buy in that its the worst.  And I'm not saying the US is an awful, awful place either...its clearly one of the best in the world.

Its just that...

Nah, nevermind ;)

Smartest thing you said all day.

Notth said:
Was that (Tiennamen Square massacre) anything like Kent State?

Uhhhh... no. Not even a little, th. But I'm sure the subtle differences elude you.

Art said:
Uhhhh... no. Not even a little, th. But I'm sure the subtle differences elude you.

Realllly? You mean students gather to protest the governments actions, the government moves in armed people, somebody gets out of hand, and civilians are killed by the military? Yep, no coincidences there.

Just to show you how the 'free press' and first hand truthfulness works Art...check this out. This is the agreed on report that was aired by many news outlets with regards to Kent State:

"In May 1970, at Kent State University in Ohio, National Guardsmen confronted student antiwar protestors with a tear gas barrage. Soon afterward, with no provocation, soldiers opened fire into a group of fleeing students. Four young people were killed, shot in the back, including two women who had been walking to class."

The media also reported the gun fire as occurring for anywhere near a minute to five minutes.

Here are the problems with this: there was plenty of provocation. The students werent fleeing until after the shots were fired. Only one of the four students was shot in the back. And one of the two women shot was participating in the protest, not on her way to class.

Further, the gunfire lasted exactly 13 seconds, not 1-5 minutes.

So based on this example of how our accurate and free press reports activities they observed with their own eyes, first hand, how accurate do you imagine news reports of actions in other countries are, particularly ones run by the evil red menace?

I'm sure its all fair and balanced...

Gotta go install a new over-the-range microwave for the in-laws Art. Nice talking with you again about stuff you dont know anything about for sure.

You're just freakin' brilliant, th.

You proved your point: there was no real difference between Kent State and Tiennamen Square!

I guess we'll all be left to ponder if the students in either situation were aware or irreversably brain damaged when they were killed by their government.

I'm sure you know though Art...

Art said:
You're just freakin' brilliant, th.

You proved your point: there was no real difference between Kent State and Tiennamen Square!

Anything to get his post count up!

Art said:
This thread is about morally comparing Mainland China to the U.S.- not to North Korea, but, whatever...

It is? I thought it's about the recent Pew Study which shows that Favorability ratings for China are higher than the US in many countries.

The study also shows how US favorability rating has plummeted since the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

JB said:
It is?  I thought it's about the recent Pew Study which shows that "Favorability ratings for China are higher than the US in many countries."

The study also shows how US favorability rating has plummeted since the invasion and occupation of Iraq. 

Yes. The study says that in many democracies, "Favorability ratings for China are higher than the US in many countries", largely as a result of the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

But, to you, this implies no moral comparison between the U.S. and China? Fascinating.

Art said:
Yes. The study says that in many democracies, "Favorability ratings for China are higher than the US in many countries", largely as a result of the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

But, to you, this implies no moral comparison between the U.S. and China? Fascinating.

The moral comparision is one component, not the whole story. In this regard China and the US are very different. They the #1 and #2 polluters -- which is probably a negative for both. China's human rights record is certainly a negative. The US tends to impose their will on other nations through war as opposed to China who tends to be isolationist. In this regard, China probably ranks higher. China has also curbed their population growth and have the fastest growing economy (positive).

Eagle43 said:
Yeah, right. Can you see the rafts and boats, the illegal immigrants, all trying desperately to get to China? :D

"The polling in Western Europe, conducted in the weeks leading up to the decisive rejection of the European Union constitution by voters in France and the Netherlands, finds pockets of deep public dissatisfaction with national conditions and concern in several countries over immigration from the Middle East, North Africa and Eastern Europe"

JB said:
The US tends to impose their will on other nations through war as opposed to China who tends to be isolationist.  In this regard, China probably ranks higher. 

You crack me up, professor.

Tell it to the Tibetans.

Art said:

Tell it to the Tibetans.

I'd love to hear a country - especially anything resembling a superpower - that hasn't imposed their will on other nations.

Europe especially.

Hey Mr,

I'm no appologist for China's actions in Tibet. I'm just trying to understand the survey that I read as to why the US favorability has fallen dramatically, and China's isn't so bad. China's actions in Tibet are clearly a negative for them.

Your approach reminds me of a recent interview I saw with Karl Rove. Every question was restated in different terms which reframed the issue and failed to address the original question in any meaningful way.

JB said:
China has also curbed their population growth and have the fastest growing economy (positive).

according to the CIA world factbook (if you trust them), China has a lower growth rate than the US because of one thing, their net emigration. China loses 4 out of 10,000 each year to emigration. The US gains 33 people per 10,000 population each year due to immigration. Anecdotally, I would guess China loses a lot of its best and brightest each year to emigration, and I wonder which country a lot of them go to? The birth minus death rate for China and the US gives around a 0.6% population growth rate for each country.

JB said:
I'm just trying to understand the survey that I read as to why the US favorability has fallen dramatically, and China's isn't so bad.  

Keep trying to understand it, professor.

As I've said, I think it's because these people are morally retarded- you disagree.

And when you finally figure out why democratic people in other countries favor a brutal, bloody dictatorship like China over the U.S., please enlighten us.

And because of this, I'm sure that the Tibetan portion of the poll participants scored them pretty low!

Art said:

Tell it to the Tibetans.

Art said:
And when you finally figure out why democratic people in other countries favor a brutal, bloody dictatorship like China over the U.S., please enlighten us.

Maybe they're stupid?

Art said:

As I've said, I think it's because these people are morally retarded- you disagree.

China's next door neighbor Burma is probably worse than China from what I've read. Military dictatorship has imprisoned the popularly elected president for an indefinite period. Sure, they have a democratically elected government, they've just been temporarily imprisoned. Indefinitely. I think Burma might fit the definition of "brutal, bloody dictatorship" better than China.

justin said:
according to the CIA world factbook (if you trust them), China has a lower growth rate than the US because of one thing, their net emigration. China loses 4 out of 10,000 each year to emigration. The US gains 33 people per 10,000 population each year due to immigration. Anecdotally, I would guess China loses a lot of its best and brightest each year to emigration, and I wonder which country a lot of them go to? The birth minus death rate for China and the US gives around a 0.6% population growth rate for each country.

Interesting, I like the CIA factbook. China's birthrate is on par with the US, and significantly less than India and other developing countries.

Art,

People probably respond in how it affects them personally - in other words which country do they feel affects their life in the most negative way. Which country do they see as more disrupting? Which country do they see is more active in pusuing policies that they disagree with? Which country do they see as flouting world opinion? Which country do they see forcing their opinion on others?

Art said:

Back
Top Bottom