Coffee?

six cups a day

Found that a 12 hour cold brew yields a coffee with very mellow/smooth flavor. Same idea as drip coffee with hot water (slow vs. fast extraction for the chemical engineers out there), but it seems to extract less acid, break down the complex coffee flavor less

I make a concentrate in a french press in the evening, press and pour it into a travel mug in the morning.
Add boiling water to bring the heat up and adjust strength.
In the summer time add ice water for a great iced coffee.

Cold press avoids changing the coffee chemicals that we have learned to love...
Chemical & Engineering News: Science & Technology - Tweaking Coffee's Flavor Chemistry

Thanks. That sounds useful. Can you describe the process a bit more and include your 'recipe' for the cold press?

Cold Brew

Thanks. That sounds useful. Can you describe the process a bit more and include your 'recipe' for the cold press?

I put four scoops of coffee, about one ounce of grounds, into a half a cup of water, or enough water to fully wet all coffee grounds and add some extra. Don't measure it out, so don't know the exact amount I put in... I then stir it until the grounds don't float anymore.

After that I cover it and set it on the counter or the fridge overnight. The next day I use the press filter to push the grounds to the bottom and pour off the concentrate to my travel mug and fill it up with boiling water.

I like my coffee strong, so you will have to adjust the concentrate to your taste, but this is good for a cup or two of coffee. (Depending on size)

Search for "cold brew" in Google, there are lots of ways to do it...

I found it best for me to make a concentrate that is enough for one serving, there are plenty of sites that promote using more producing a concentrate that lasts a week, but I have "overdosed" on that. It is a little harder to regulate, got a bit of the jitters once when I did not portion it out properly.

Cold-Brew Iced Coffee Concentrate - Bon Appétit
How To Make Amazing Cold Brew Coffee - Business Insider

I am now considering a Moka device or an AeroPress. Amazon.com: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining

I would be interested in hearing more about the pros and cons of these devices.

I've been using the Aeropress for years and very pleased with it.

Pros: Low price, easy to customize (coffee strength, temperature) to exactly what you want, easy cleanup, filters cheap.
Cons: Built more for single use although I do get 2 big cups by reusing the coffee grounds twice. The rubber gasket at the end of the plunger stops sealing after awhile (~2 years) and will need to be replaced. Tip: never store the plunger in the chamber or the rubber gasket will need to be replaced a lot sooner. Last year I ordered 2 rubber gaskets directly from Aerobie for $5 (including shipping), should last awhile, easy to replace.

Last edited:
Fresh espresso coffee will soon be available on your next visit to the International Space Station (ISS). They call it ISSpresso.

I bet a shot in low earth orbit costs more than one at Starbucks. :LOL:

Still, I can't see getting through the day without a double shot to kickstart me.

Back
Top Bottom