Colonoscopy

Well, had another one today.  Doctor reported one polyp.  Told me to return in 3 years for follow-up.

Worst part of this procedure is the day before.  No solid foods, no booze, and starting at 7 p.m. begin taking Fleet phosporus (sp) a laxitive that is uhhhhhh... effective.  Then this morning, take it one more time just to be sure you're clean.  Yuk.

This morning, I was drugged to unconsciousness while the doc and his henchgirls poked and prodded. Got there at 8:50a.m. and was home by 11:30a.m.  No problems with the procedure, so far, anyway.

Went out for a Mexican fix this evening.  Two margaritas, chicken fajitas with all the trimmings.  Bowel is slowly filling up.  I feel better now.

Good for you.

Colon cancer runs in my family. I've had 2 uneventful painless colonoscopies and would schedule another but our current insurance won't pay when you're under 50 without a symptom.

Enjoying good Mexican food runs in my family as well, but why did you stop at just 2 Margaritas?

I used to work in a hospital ... one of my duties was to give enemas until clear for in-house patients having lower GI tests.

Eagle43 said:
Worst part of this procedure is the day before.
I gotta admit that you guys are really making me look forward to starting this procedure in just five short years.

Maybe I should invest my stock money in a company developing a non-penetrating colonoscopy...

Eagle43 said:
Well, had another one today.  Doctor reported one polyp.  Told me to return in 3 years for follow-up.

Worst part of this procedure is the day before.  No solid foods, no booze, and starting at 7 p.m. begin taking Fleet phosporus (sp) a laxitive that is uhhhhhh... effective.  Then this morning, take it one more time just to be sure you're clean.  Yuk.

This morning, I was drugged to unconsciousness while the doc and his henchgirls poked and prodded. Got there at 8:50a.m. and was home by 11:30a.m.  No problems with the procedure, so far, anyway.

Went out for a Mexican fix this evening.  Two margaritas, chicken fajitas with all the trimmings.  Bowel is slowly filling up.  I feel better now.
I just got my second colonoscopy about a month ago.  My mother died of colon cancer so I got my first one at age 48.  I was thinking that the worst part about them was the laxitive the night before.  But today I was reminded of the other bad part.  The bill arrived.   :)  This time they gave me snapshots of the inside of my colon.  I'm thinking of framing them and putting them up with the rest of the family photos.   :D

Nords,

Virtual Colonoscopy is already a reality.  

I'm not sure how reliable it is.  I still go every 3 years for mine, a few polyps the last visit.  The only bad part is the prep.
The test is a piece of cake, well sort of.

Nords said:
I gotta admit that you guys are really making me look forward to starting this procedure in just five short years.

Maybe I should invest my stock money in a company developing a non-penetrating colonoscopy...

The non-penetrating colonoscopy should be avaialble soon, along with the non-penetrating dental fillings.

((^+^)) SG said:
This time they gave me snapshots of the inside of my colon. I'm thinking of framing them and putting them up with the rest of the family photos. :D

Why? Is there a strong family resemblance? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

(Sorry. Couldn't pass :D that one up. :))

Nords said:

Nords, it isn't so bad. Just envision sitting astride your sub when they raise the periscope... :eek: :D :LOL:

(Yep, CHP....)

73ss454 said:
The only bad part is the prep.

Don't you mean, the test was like of a piece of a--. :D :LOL:

MJ

REWahoo! said:
Why?  Is there a strong family resemblance? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

(Sorry.  Couldn't pass  :D that one up. :))
Yeah, whenever I show the photos, someone always says, "So cute. Looks just like his father." :p

I'm long overdue for a colonoscopy. My 44 year old cousin died of colon cancer (mets to liver and lung) last year. Mom and Sis had polyps removed recently.

73ss454 said:
Nords,

Virtual Colonoscopy is already a reality.  

I'm not sure how reliable it is.  I still go every 3 years for mine, a few polyps the last visit.  The only bad part is the prep.

I MIGHT go in for a "virtual". Not the tradional kind though. Just rolling
the dice here. After all, something is going to kill me. I just
always remember what Al Pacino had to say. :)

JG

LOL! said:
Good for you. 

Colon cancer runs in my family.  I've had 2 uneventful painless colonoscopies and would schedule another but our current insurance won't pay when you're under 50 without a symptom.
Hey, you did notice that blood on your underwear. wink. wink. Then tell the doctor.

I guesss I must be an exception from the post here so far on the "ease" of the procedure.

Agree on the night before prep. Yuck.

My, one and only so far, was quite painful. I was quite awake and aware during the whole thing. :( It would appear that the doc. did not provide sufficient Versed and other stuff to dull the event. I am very happy I had a "clean" bill of health so I don't have to do this again for 10 years.

Eagle43 said:
Hey, you did notice that blood on your underwear. wink. wink. Then tell the doctor.

Ding! Ding! A new winner for the traveling 'Tasteless Post Trophy'.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
Ding! Ding!  A new winner for the traveling 'Tasteless Post Trophy'.

JG
:confused: I could never accept that from the alltime TPT champ. :) Please don't be modest; no one will ever wrest the trophy from your possession.

My wife and I both had one done for our 55th. birthday. Including the upper GI scope. They knock you out and it's a breeze. My wife's doctor was against her having one and I demanded it. Our doctors share offices. I talked to my doctor and had him tell his cousin to order one for my wife.

They found colon cancer in her and a number of polyp's in me, both rectal and in my throat. Both of mine were types that turn cancerous and the one in my throat was very large.

They snip them out, it was painless, and we get checked each year. If were both good for a few years, then no need to go back.

So let's just say I am glad we both had it done, especially my wife. My daughter (who's in the medical field) told me they wouldn't of caught moms until she starting losing weight and her hair,started to fall out,  and then it's to late.

Never had anyone in our family with this, so really no history of it. But someone has to be the first.

I have a lot to look forward to and have long term retirement plans. Might be better safe than dead.

Ten signs you might be a redneck:

Your kids take a siphon hose to show and tell.
You think a hot tub is a stolen indoor plumbing fixture.

You wonder how service stations keep their restrooms so clean.
You consider your license plate personalized because your father made it.

Your lifetime goal is to own a fireworks stand.
You sit on your roof at Christmas time hoping to fill your deer quota.

You have a complete set of salad bowls and they all say Cool Whip on the side.
You think a quarter horse is that ride in front of Walmart.

You missed 5th grade graduation because you had jury duty.
Your doctor's cousin orders a colonoscopy for your wife (sorry Spike ;) )

Double-take on the board, a cropped screenshot showing what I saw:

Attachments

• wahoo.gif
    wahoo.gif
    360 bytes · Views: 61
BMJ, "wahoo!" wasn't exactly the reaction I had to my colonoscopy. :p But change one letter and you nail the portion of the human anatomy involved in this degrading and humiliating procedure. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom