Commuting

My commute, before I retired, was along Kalanianaole Highway and, prettiest from the highway of several scenic places, past Makapu`u.
300px-Makapuu_oahu_hawaii_photo_d_ramey_logan.jpg

Makapu

Last edited:
My shortest commute in the past 20 years has been 1 hour each way. When I worked in NYC, it was 2 hours each way. That much commuting wears on a person.

But the more recent annoyance on the trains was not related to anything I described above. Instead, on the LIRR, it was the constant annoyance of rude and loud cell phone users who yakked about anythign and everything without caring about anyone around them. I wrote the LIRR several times asking them to establish "quiet cars" like Amtrak and MART (Maryland) have so those of us who wanted to have some peace and quiet could do so while the cell phone yakkers could yak away in their own cars. They never did this, and it was basically anarchy to get the phone yakkers to hush it up while the train crewmen were invisible and the onboard announcements to hush it up went ignored.

The Newest Style 3G 2G GSM CDMA Portable Cell Phone Jammer ESPOW

My commute is 5500 steps. 45 minutes at a leisurely pace. 13 minutes on the bicycle.
No complains here, unless on the way back it's raining frogs and the forecast said sunshine :D

In my last corporate job, I lived 65 miles from the office.

Minimum of 1 hour 45 minutes each way with traffic (and there was always traffic)...left for work at 4:15 AM usually, and got home after 8PM most nights. Left in the dark and got home in the dark almost year round....glad I don't do that anymore.

That was expensive, even when gas was cheaper back then (about 12 years ago), but even so, I pretty much killed a new car every three years.

At least an hour’s drive from work, sometimes three if the weather is bad. I drive a minimum of 100 miles every day, and go through a car every three years.

Of course I only buy used cars, with very few miles on them - let someone else eat the depreciation.

Retiring next year, and can’t wait to put on my new bumper sticker - “ I’m retired, so go around! “

Back
Top Bottom