Company to Prevent Access to Gmail, AOL, Hotmail, etc.

If sucking it up and getting a smart phone prevents you from LBYM you probably should be starting a new thread...or find the nearest wi-fi and get creative about time out of the building...

Hi. I called Verizon, my cell phone carrier. Using Verizon Prepaid, I can get unlimited talk, unlimited text and email access for about 5 dollars more a month then the limited plan (limited talk/limited text/no email) I currently have. It will cost about 50 bucks a month. I won't have internet access on this phone, but I can use the internet at work and home when necessary.

I use T-Mobile prepaid 1500 minutes/texts (either/or) with 30MB of data per month for $30.00 plus tax (I don't text on the phone). I bought an unlocked Palm Pixi Plus GSM phone with "WIFI" from Amazon for +/-$70.00. Bought some neat accys for it for next to nothing off Amazon (chargers, leather case, etc). I went to the T-mobile store and they provided me with the SIM chip for free (normally runs $10.00) and signed me up for the prepaid monthly $30.00 package mentioned above (cancel at anytime) and ported over my existing phone number. This will give you wifi access on the phone and also allow you to occasionally access the internet using the 30MB data when needed (and wifi is not available).

You can also utilize wifi only on an unlocked Palm Pixi Plus wifi phone with just a T-Mobile prepay minutes plan - 1000 minutes for $100.00 that doesn't expire for a year. Trick is to borrow someone's GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile, Walmart, etc.) phone's SIM chip to activate the unlocked Palm phone. Afterwards reinstall your SIM chip and your good to go. You can also change your T-Mobile prepaid plan at any time (when it's to your advantage).

I have not tried this, but there are CDMA wifi cell phones (no SIM chip - Sprint, Verizon, etc.) out there you may purchase off Amazon for aro. $100.00. You might be able to have your Verizon service switched over to the CDMA phone (I'd verify this with Verizon). It would give you wifi access on the phone with your current limited minutes/texts Verizon service.

Last edited:
Yes, gratefully I can work from home for 2 days a week, so those days are covered. It is the other three days I am worried about.

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately for me, t-mobile coverage is really poor in the area where I live and work. I can look into the Verizon CDMA wi-fi phone though.

Consider yourself lucky that you have the option of using a personal cell phone in your work place. Where I work, we are not allowed to bring cell phones on site unless it's a company issued phone.

I was not happy when this new rule was instituted because I work in a very dangerous chemical/radiation plant and there have been instances where we have had to shelter in place due to a release with no way to contact family. Not to mention that there are rare occasions that I'd like to have a private conversation and that is not guaranteed when using company phones.

When your employer has you by the short hairs of your wallet you don't have much choice in the matter.

Back
Top Bottom