Computer questions

veremchuka

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
irradiated - too close to the nuclear furnace
I have had pc problems. Last week I took the box in to the guy that built it and had him wipe the machine and reload the software I need. My system is VISTA Home Premium 64 bit OS.

Adobe was loaded back on the pc. It is Adobe Reader 9 version 9.5.3. Yesterday I was reading a pdf for the 1st time. I wanted to copy some text for an email but the 2 icons I used to use in Adobe (no idea the version) to copy are not on the tool bar. Does anyone know how to get them? Could it be that the contents are protected and it won't allow me to copy the text? It is from a local online newspaper.

Another problem is how do you control the speed of the cursor controlled by the arrow keys on the keyboard? When I hold down the forward or backward arrow the cursor used to move very fast. Now sometimes it is a bit slower but other times it is painfully slower! I set the mouse speed that controls the pointer to the fastest setting but can't figure out how to make the arrow key that moves the cursor in this post or email go real fast and not change to real slow.

Thanks.

Look under 'Tools' > 'Select & Zoom' > Once there, try the 'Select Tool' or 'Snapshot Tool' to copy what you want. It will put it in your Clipboard for pasting.

Sorry, can't help you with the cursor speed.

I think you want to change the repeat rate for the keyboard. Go to control panel, click on keyboard to open properties, adjust the repeat speed and repeat delay settings.

For Adobe, I just highlight the text, control-c copies it to clipboard, control-v will paste.

See I think the problem is that there is no menu, no tool bar, just a few icons. When I click on Tools it's the Mozilla Tools drop down menu.

When I click on the padlock icon for the security settings it says "you can not edit or copy this document". This is why I mentioned maybe because of the security settings I can't copy text?

I still wonder where the tool bar is that would have the camera icon to copy?

May want to upgrade at least to Windows 7?

Next time you buy a new computer, maybe look into the Mac too, unless there's some Windows software that you have to keep using.

See I think the problem is that there is no menu, no tool bar, just a few icons. When I click on Tools it's the Mozilla Tools drop down menu.

Ah, ok different problem. You are looking at a PDF in mozilla ( firefox ). Pressing F8 should toggle the adobe toolbar.

PF8 does nothing. I used Mozilla before and there were no problems. The Adobe I have now is different than what I had. IIRC it was ver 10. I'm willing to use the version I have I just would like to know how to get a tool bar with drop down menus and icons for the commonly used functions.

Any ideas about the cursor movement?

Last edited:
F8 should toggle the adobe tool bar in firefox ( I tried it and it does ). In firefox, go to tools, add-ons, plugins and check your adobe plugin version. You should also be able to update it from there. If you have an adobe document displayed, right click on the main adobe tool bar, it will display a menu, you can add what you want displayed on the toolbar.

I think you want to change the repeat rate for the keyboard. Go to control panel, click on keyboard to open properties, adjust the repeat speed and repeat delay settings.

Sorry, I might could give a better answer if I could see what you are seeing.

PF8 does nothing. I used Mozilla before and there were no problems. The Adobe I have now is different than what I had. IIRC it was ver 10. I'm willing to use the version I have I just would like to know how to get a tool bar with drop down menus and icons for the commonly used functions.

Any ideas about the cursor movement?
You want to save the pdf locally, and then open with full Adobe Reader application. If you don't see the tools to copy, then that particular pdf is protected, and does not allow the functions.

The controls for keyboard are in Control Panel > Keyboard.

Cursor may be slow in the browser due to an addin. For instance, it could be spell checking.

Thanks.

In the PDF right clicking in the tool bar did allow me to see more options/tools. I selected the snapshot (the icon is a camera) and I thought that would allow me to copy text and pictures but it doesn't. The icon is in faded relief so maybe that shows it isn't available to use in this pdf? Maybe as I have said because the doc is protected maybe I am not allowed to copy anything? I tried other things from the more tools option but I'm not sure what they do, they don't allow me to copy anything.

In the Mozilla tools, addons, I don't think I have any as none are listed. There are 472, I scrolled through 2 pages and decided this would take hours and I am not even sure what I am looking for re the Adobe addon.

The repeat rate for the keyboard, I have it set to the fastest speed. I wish it would be faster but I guess this is it. I set it to the slowest speed so I know it works and what I am changing so I just set it to the fastest.

Thanks for your help! :)

When you have the PDF open, look at file properties. This will tell you that security setting is on. Sounds as if this is the expkanation.

The fact that you see 472 addons tells me you are looking at addons you could choose to install. What you have installed is a much smaller number. I am on a phone now, so I can't identify the exact commands to follow.

Under the file menu, look at properties, select the security tab. It will show what is set on this file. It may be copy protected, which prevents copying.

Firefox uses adobe plugin. When you get to addons, click the plugins icon. it will list the installed plugins. Adobe should be very near the top of the list.

Under the file menu, look at properties, select the security tab. It will show what is set on this file. It may be copy protected, which prevents copying.

Firefox uses adobe plugin. When you get to addons, click the plugins icon. it will list the installed plugins. Adobe should be very near the top of the list.

The pdf I'm trying to copy from is protected.

I have just 5 plugins and Adobe Acrobat 9.5.3.305 is the 1st listed.

If the PDF is protected, you can't copy the text, but you could take a snapshot of it using Shift Printscreen, put that into Paint, select the area of interet and save it as a JPEG, which could then be attached to your email.

Or you could type it out again!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
You can also run an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program on a 'picture' of text (pdf, jpeg, etc). I don't run Windows so I don't know the names of programs that will do this, there are several free ones in Linux.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom