Computer virus protection: Avast w/ Defender?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My friend says it is too much to use both Avast and Windows Defender as virus protection on the computer at the same time. I have no clue at all if it is or isn't, so am asking you computer gurus out there if this is true or not? It doesn't "seem" to be jamming my computer at all, but he says it might crash it. Help!!! (Someday I reeealllly have to take a computer course...):cool:

No worries. Windows defender doesnt do much in the way of virus protection. Its mostly spyware/browser protection.

Windows defender is a default product that runs under windows vista, so technically every vista user that is running an antivirus program is running both.

While its possible for two programs to get into a little tiff and take it out on your performance or stability, I'd suspect that the Avast folks would quickly resolve any incompatibilities with Defender unless of course they'd rather not be used on any vista machines and many XP machines.

And thanks to you, cute fuzzy bunny! What would folks like me do without a computer guru like you I wonder? Again, thanks!!!!

It's actually a good idea to use more than one AV program, especially if you tend to visit some of the more "questionable" areas of the web. I agree that Defender doesn't do much. I use Avast as well as AVG, both free. I also recommend using Spyware and Adware programs (I use Spybot and AdAware). But I'm a bit obsessive on the subject. :uglystupid:

No worries. Windows defender doesnt do much in the way of virus protection. Its mostly spyware/browser protection.

Windows defender is a default product that runs under windows vista, so technically every vista user that is running an anti virus program is running both.

While its possible for two programs to get into a little tiff and take it out on your performance or stability, I'd suspect that the Avast folks would quickly resolve any incompatibilities with Defender unless of course they'd rather not be used on any vista machines and many XP machines.

I agree with CFB however, I am running Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security Suite 14 on my Desktop and (Vista) Windows Defender is not running (according to Windows VISTA WD applet). Optionally, I can allow Windows Defender to run IF the built in PC-cillin IS firewall is disabled (thus allowing WD to run).

However, on the Notebook I am running AVAST and Windows Defender IS running. AVAST will not interfere with Windows Defender (to my knowledge and experience, to date) and it is probably good to just leave it alone.

I doubt it really is a "good" thing to run two AV programs at the same time. I have read on several occasions that you are sacrificing resources to the redundancy of both programs and eventually one will probably interfere with the other which may or may not cause unexplained problems to the OS. For that reasoning I would not run two AV programs. However, I cannot prove it one way or the other - so take that information with a grain of salt.

Yeah..that is exactly what I heard, also, OAG.
OAG: How great that you put your "Proud Vietnam Veteran" info on your posts. I like that idea, but I'm a big military booster/respecter myself.

Reactions: OAG
Back
Top Bottom