Consolidated 2020 (2d half) RIP Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Save me a seat.

Recalling "Hello In There" reminded me of a song about old folks that was a little more upbeat. I believe I heard this one at a JP show in the old Retlaw Theater in Fond du Lac, Wis., 43 years ago.

"Retlaw" Is "Walter" spelled backwards.

Like Prine, I was a mailman for a few years. I'm not saying that provided him with the inspiration, but the job can give you a surprisingly intimate peek into the lives of others sometimes.

You're probably on to something there; I never thought of that.

Nashville's had a couple of heartbreaks recently with the loss of both John Prine and Joe Diffie of complications from Coro19.

I lived many years in the small town south Nashville where Joe Diffie lived. He was a great person on top of being a really good showman. The other night, a parade formed (starting with tractors) and they all drove to Joe's house and everyone paid respects to his family as they drove by.

I've never seen a community so upset over the loss of a songwriter like John Prine. Many stories have come out about him, and obviously John was just a regular person.

He drove old vintage Cadillacs, and talked to everyone he came in contact with. Many didn't even know who he was. He had a standing songwriting appointment Thursday mornings with Pat McLaughlin that was really an excuse to go to Arnold's County Kitchen to eat their meatloaf and banana pudding. He was just a favorite person.

John Prine was a troubadour, and his songs were very heart felt. He said things other songwriters might hesitate to say--and got away with it. And he had a certain insight on life few others shared. He was one of a kind.

Like Prine, I was a mailman for a few years. I'm not saying that provided him with the inspiration, but the job can give you a surprisingly intimate peek into the lives of others sometimes.

You're probably on to something there; I never thought of that.

Oh definitely, he has talked about it in many interviews.

His song "Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore" was inspired by a promotion that Reader's Digest did, they slipped a flag decal into an issue. But some of them would fall out as he handled them. Plus, just the time for your mind to wander and work on the stories.

While digesting Reader's Digest in the back of a dirty book store
A plastic flag, with gum on the back fell out on the floor.
Well, I picked it up and I ran outside, slapped it on my window shield.
And if I could see old Betsy Ross I'd tell her how good I feel.

But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore.
They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
Now Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason's for.
And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore ....

-ERD50

John Prine was a troubadour, and his songs were very heart felt. He said things other songwriters might hesitate to say--and got away with it. And he had a certain insight on life few others shared. He was one of a kind.

He was indeed one of a kind. I had a few of his early albums and the 'force' of his poetry and easy approach to everyday people's issues have stuck with me, long after I let his vinyl albums go.

A major regret is that I never got to see him live.

Rest dear John, your legacy will remain with me 'till I join you floating down the Green River.

Mick

I was on the elliptical earlier....listening to Prine....and this seemed apropos:

"We are living in the future
I'll tell you how I know
I read it in the paper
Fifteen years ago
We're all driving rocket ships
And talking with our minds
And wearing turquoise jewelry
And standing in soup lines"

I’m grateful for this thread. Somehow, I’d never heard of Prine or heard his music. Based on recommendations from this thread I’ve found several songs that I find just great. That Angels From Montgomery with Susan Tedeschi is so very good. Hello In There, Other Side of Town, and a few others.

I’m exploring his catalog now and it’s a pleasant experience. He comes across as a really good guy. And obviously a gifted writer.

Thanks ER gang!

So many great John Prine songs!!! I only discovered his music about 5 years ago, but man oh man!! his lyrics- outta sight!!

I wonder if you're familiar with Prine's old sidekick, the late Steve Goodman. When I hear "Hello in There" I think of this song by Steve:

Last edited:
RIP John Prine

I wonder if you're familiar with Prine's old sidekick, the late Steve Goodman. When I hear "Hello in There" I think of this song by Steve:

They are my two go to guys. This one from Steve brings tears to my eyes on occasion.

Rest In Peace both of you.

Murf

Thanks for sharing this. I was not familiar with Steve's music but will be searching for more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you mention Steve Goodman, look up John singing "Souvenirs" together with Steve Goodman. Its only two men with two guitars but they fill the auditorium with great music.

I had a reminder, but got distracted by dinner. Anyone got a link? I'm off to find one.

OK, here's what I found, and though it's live, you can rewind to the start and catch up.

-ERD50

What a wonderful tribute. Thanks to the Prine family and all those involved.

RIP Carl Reiner

He lived to a ripe old age. What a life! He made us laugh.
Funniest ever Dick Van Dyke scene. Mary's Apology:

Very funny man.
Liked his older stuff and newer stuff like Ocean's 11.

He was featured in a very interesting, well-made documentary I watched a few years ago called If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast. Here's a quote about it.
Carl Reiner, the 95-year-old comedian, writer, actor, and director, has a running gag about life as a nonagenarian. “Every morning … I pick up my newspaper, get the obituary section, and see if I’m listed,” he explains. “If I’m not, I have my breakfast.” He stages a version of this routine for the new documentary If You’re Not In the Obit, Eat Breakfast, airing Monday night on HBO, in which Reiner and a handful of other 90-something personalities mull old age, and the possible reasons for their longevity. “Is it luck? Genes? Modern medicine?” he wonders. “Or are we doing something right?”
I can only hope to live as happily and healthily into my 90s as he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom