Consolidated 2020 (2d half) RIP Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
very funny man. he lived a rich, full life. can't complain. I loved his 2000 year old man routine with mel brooks.

When Your Show of Shows was on TV, I was coming of age and loved the humour

I also had a crush on Mary as Laura Petrie. Of course she was too old for me.

One of the greats.

When prominent entertainment figures pass like this, I always find myself saying, who are the "Carl Reiners" of the current day?

Invariably I come up short trying to name one.

RIP - Charlie Daniels

Charlie Daniels, passed away after suffering a hemorrhagic stroke at 83 years.

Charlie Daniels, a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame best known for "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," died Monday morning after suffering a hemorrhagic stroke. He was 83.
Daniels' death was confirmed by his publicist, Don Murry Grubbs, to The Tennessean, part of the USA TODAY Network. He is survived by his wife, Hazel, and son Charlie Daniels, Jr.
By the time the Charlie Daniels Band topped the charts with “Devil” in 1979, the instrumentalist, singer and songwriter had long established a remarkable, multifaceted career in Music City. As a session musician, he played on three of Bob Dylan’s albums — including the revolutionary “Nashville Skyline” — as well as recordings for Ringo Starr, Leonard Cohen, Tammy Wynette and other luminaries.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...harlie-daniels-country-music-dies/5384332002/

Bummer

It seems to me that having a band of demons join in would be a disqualifying act in a fiddlin' contest.

I'm in Nashville today, and the local forums are packed with comments from his friends. They're really upset.

One of my high school buddies was his road manager for many years, and another has been his bus driver 30+ years.

I can honestly say he had his own style of music. I don't know who influenced his music when he was younger, but it always came out Charlie Daniels 100%.

Sorry to hear it. The first concert I ever attended was a Charlie Daniel’s Band show, at a Six Flags in the early 80’s. It wasn’t until a few years later that I learned he doesn’t usually refer to the Devil as a “son of a gun”. :)

I didn’t know any of his songs, but he was a consummate entertainer and put on a great show.

The interesting thing about the Devil went down to Georgia song is the lyrics were played as originally sung by Charlie on the radio. Bad words and all. Then, a short time later, not sure of the timetable , but it seemed shortly thereafter the radio would no longer play the lyrics as it was originally recorded and so they began substituting son of a gun for the original lyrics.

One of my earliest concerts - Charlie Daniels and Marshall Tucker Band, outdoors at Southern Illinois Universty at Carbondale, Summer 1978. He will.be missed.
Saddened.

My first concert was Charlie Daniels and ZZ Top.

I missed him at Gilley's back in the 70's and have always regretted that. Gilley's was a heck of a beer joint. :cool:

Quiz:

When you parked in Gilley's parking lot back in the 70's, they would automatically slap a "Gilley's" bumper sticker on your truck while you were in the club. However, there was a way to "flag" them not put a sticker on your truck. Any "locals" know the answer or just want to take a guess?

Last edited:
Leave the sun visors down? That is what they did at a local water park.

Leave the sun visors down? That is what they did at a local water park.
Correct... :dance: I'll always remember that since I forgot one time. :facepalm: I think that's been used by many since then.

Last edited:
I missed him at Gilley's back in the 70's and have always regretted that. Gilley's was a heck of a beer joint. :cool:

Quiz:

When you parked in Gilley's parking lot back in the 70's, they would automatically slap a "Gilley's" bumper sticker on your truck while you were in the club. However, there was a way to "flag" them not put a sticker on your truck. Any "locals" know the answer or just want to take a guess?

Well, I don't know the answer to that, but I have ridden the Bull!:LOL:

Liked her role in Jerry McGuire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom