Conspicuous consumption vs staying under the radar

DayDreaming

Full time employment: Posting here.
After reading a few other threads here, and doing some other research, I find myself really lusting after a Telsa Model 3(?). I can easily afford one, but a big obstacle is that I've always lived sort of under the radar, keeping my financial situation private. The thought of neighbors, friends and acquaintances seeing me driving a Tesla and thinking "rich bugger!" is a real turn off. Honestly, I've never felt that I was denying myself anything, I actually like living simply. But this car really appeals to me.

Just wondering if others here ever hold back on purchases because they don't want to look like they're showing off?

We live in a +55 MHP, and many of the people are living on SS. We bought 2 new cars at the same time . DW's car died, and our grandson needed a car. We paid cash for both cars. It was the first time in DW's life she did not have car payments.
A few neighbors commented on the new cars, and I would sort of mumble something about car payments.

Tesla’s aren’t so rare anymore, so I think you can and should get one!

Maybe you can claim it’s a gift haha.

Who gives a crap what the neighbors think! If they are your friends then they'll be interested and you can talk to them in a friendly way. Most likely they will all be happy for you. If they are just people that live nearby, but you don't really know too much about each other, then opinions are irrelevant.

Last edited:
Just wondering if others here ever hold back on purchases because they don't want to look like they're showing off?

No, I've never done that.

You only look like you're showing off if you're showing off.

The regular AWD Tesla is "only" around $47K. A lot of people are driving around in pick up trucks that cost more than that. If you bought a model S then I could see some people thinking you must have a lot of money but that's far less likely if you get a model 3.

We try not to look “wealthy” and it’s easy since we aren’t at all into conspicuous consumption anyway. But we buy some nice things sometimes without pause. I’m not going to worry about what others may think, life’s too short.

And I don’t think a Model 3 is much of a statement anyway - there are BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus and even more upscale brands EVERYWHERE these days that are way more conspicuous IMO. I’m not saying Tesla’s aren’t decent looking, but they’re somewhat plain, utilitarian looking by comparison.

I won’t be in the market anytime soon, but my next car will be an EV. If I totaled my 2018 Outback today I’d replace with a Model Y.

Last edited:
I have similar feelings about flying under the radar but really starting to want a Model 3 or Y.

Although, I may wait to see if the Aptera takes off; even though I see no chance of flying under the radar with something like that.

The thought of neighbors, friends and acquaintances seeing me driving a Tesla and thinking "rich bugger!" is a real turn off.

If they don't know you much, and you live in a modest/normal neighborhood, it's more likely they think you've bought more car than you can afford.

But either way, if they think worse of you...bugger them! Not really friends to start with. And if anyone does make a financially impertinent comment, have a line ready like "hey I got a good deal" or something, and anyone who isn't a complete moron will let it go after that.

Not me so much, as I'm like you DayDreaming, simple living is generally fine. But my parents were this way. They had a restaurant in town, and though mom really wanted the red Mercedes convertible she never got one because they didn't want customers to see her driving it. When my brother ran the place for awhile, he blew his money from a post-divorce house sale on a new Corvette, and wasn't shy about parking it at the restaurant. Sure enough, a few customers made snarky comments about how it must be nice to be able to afford that, how they were glad to have helped him buy it, or how it really made them want to bring their business there.

But as others here have mentioned, luxury brands are everywhere these days. When I drive by low-income apartments and rentals in town, I see lots of upscale brands in parking lots, and lots of cars and SUVs loaded with expensive upgrades. Maybe some people wouldn't think, "Rich bugger", but "That's crazy, he's probably over his head in debt for that!", as I think when I see those vehicles.

You could spend a lot more on buying a pickup truck, so I don't think it's as obvious as perhaps a Ferrari. Plus, who cares? As my DW says...unless you are paying my bills, cooking for me, or fornicating with me...then you can bugger off. ;)

Nonetheless...I do get what the OP is concerned about. I owned an airplane for a bit and while it was significantly cheaper than many RVs I see out there, I registered it under an LLC to maintain anonymity.

It sounds like this is just an emotional purchase, not a practical one. You're just "lusting". So, I would generally advise against it. It's not just a matter of affording it.

I don’t worry about what people think.

I've lived under the radar all my life, mostly because I prefer it that way, but also because I didn't want to appear to be showing off. I was a small business owner in a small town and always feared what others thought about me and my standard of living. I can say this now, I worried about it way too much. Get the Telsa. It's a lot cheaper than the base model pickup that I'm looking at.

It sounds like this is just an emotional purchase, not a practical one. You're just "lusting". So, I would generally advise against it. It's not just a matter of affording it.
Oh, please!

I guess you avoid the blow that dough thread.

It’s about priorities, not about avoiding spending on anything but needs.

Last edited:
Wait on this new Tesla coming soon, then maybe you can feel justified in your guilt. No way with a Model 3/Y.

tesla-roadster-1.jpg

I see Tesla's all over the place, they are not rare like a Ferrari (which I did see a few years back at the stoplight).

I say go ahead and buy it. Anyone asks, you can say you will save money by not buying gas anymore :)
Besides, most folks will think you are on a payment plan, as that is how many buy a car.

Most of our big ticket spending per year has been travel, and the cost of that is not obvious unless I tell folks, and we don't wear wool socks ;)

Anytime I'm spending 5 figures, let alone almost 6, there had darn better be some emotion. If I don't love it, I'm not buying it!

Over the years, whenever I've needed a new car, there have been plenty that checked the boxes, but it's the one that feels right, that I like most, which I buy.

We live two lives. In Vancouver we drive a Mercedes which is more common than Honda.

But in Mexico, we drive a Nissan and I wear a Timex. We try not too look independently wealthy. My shorts and polo shirts fit right in and my sandals are real leather.

We did indulge in a luxury condo but it is not visible to the average person.

A Tesla Model 3 is fine but an X does stand out.

I say go ahead and buy it. Anyone asks, you can say you will save money by not buying gas anymore :)
Right, just come across like a green nutcase, and they'll think you spent all your money trying to save the planet.

I bought a used BMW years ago (2003 540i with a V8 and a manual). Fun to drive, but I didn’t care for the comments I got from some friends and co-workers. It cost less than a new Civic, but people assumed I was “living large”. Most likely, I won’t be buying another luxury marquee again. Unless maybe I win that billion dollar lotto.

On the flip side, a Model 3 in my neck of the woods wouldn’t raise a single eyebrow. After all, it’s the “cheap” Tesla. YMMV, but if it were me, I’d go for it. Everyone I know who has one loves it.

I have 2 Tesla's and can promise you what others think is the last thing on my mind.

There are so many of them in Southern California nobody sticks out for having one.

I'm waiting to see my first homeless person with one.

Oh, please!

I guess you avoid the blow that dough thread.

It’s about priorities, not about avoiding spending on anything but needs.

Funny the OP used the word "lusting"..OTOH if you pause on buying because of what your neighbors or family might think, maybe you don't really want it..

But the OP should do what ever they want to, it's his money.

I'm parked next to a Tesla is the hospital lot. I can't tell what model but maybe the Model 3 performance - giant wheels and small aspect ratio tires (probably 235/35R20 ) It just doesn't look like a wise thing to be driving in the winter in Michigan

Back
Top Bottom