Copy - Paste?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Mental block... help!

Very often, I post a link, as well as a quote from a website. Takes too long the way I'm doing it. There has to be an easier way.

I ususally copy/paste the quote to the new post, then go back to the source to copy the URL to paste it as the link.

Here's the problem... the original quote that I copied is still on the"mouse" ... so I open up editpad, and paste , then delete that, then go back to the original page that I'm quoting, and highlight, copy and paste the URL to my new post.

Pease don't make fun... remember I'm old and sensitive. :(

There has to be an easier way.:facepalm:

Mental block... help!

Very often, I post a link, as well as a quote from a website. Takes too long the way I'm doing it. There has to be an easier way.

I ususally copy/paste the quote to the new post, then go back to the source to copy the URL to paste it as the link.

Here's the problem... the original quote that I copied is still on the"mouse" ... so I open up editpad, and paste , then delete that, then go back to the original page that I'm quoting, and highlight, copy and paste the URL to my new post.

This is not uncommon. After the the first copy and paste quote, before you copy the url, first refresh the page of the url you're copying. Then copy the url, it will paste correctly in the post.

The quote doesn't get replaced by the next thing you copy unless you paste into and delete from editpad? I never heard of that problem. Then again, I usually use IE 11 instead of Edge and I don't use editpad. I may have even deleted editpad.

The quote doesn't get replaced by the next thing you copy unless you paste into and delete from editpad? I never heard of that problem. Then again, I usually use IE 11 instead of Edge and I don't use editpad. I may have even deleted editpad.

I'm not following the problem either (though I have a suggestion that helps in general). Here's what I do:

A) Here at ER-org, click "Reply to Thread", or "Quote"to open the text box for your reply.

B) Go to another page and copy some text.

C) Go to my post window, and paste. Next, if you want to copy the URL...

D) Go back to the external web page, click anywhere in the URL line of that browser (just to get the cursor active in the link - maybe OP is not doing this step?), then I "select-all" (CNTRL_A), which for me is the easiest/quickest way to grab the entire URL, without making an error and maybe only grabbing a part of it (especially on a long URL).

E) Go back to the post window, click, and paste.

imoldernu, you seem to have some 'stickiness' of the first copy, ( the original quote that I copied is still on the"mouse" )? I guess I just don't see that on any browser I've ever used, and I don't see any need to refresh the page.

Oh, the other somewhat separate helpful thing - I use a copy/paste buffer app on my system. That allows me to copy several things from one or more web pages, then select them to paste into the post (or document). That saves me from going back and forth, and I often get confused midway as I do that. There are many apps for that, in Linux I use "ClipIt", I have a similar app on DW's MacBook, but forget the name offhand, and I'm sure they are available for Windows.

For me, it's one of those "can't live without" apps. And it works everywhere, not just browsers. Really handy for spreadsheets, etc.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Copy URL To Clipboard https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/url2clipboard/

After installing, reboot your browser.
Go to a page, and select some text.
Right-click to see context menu "Copy Page URL"
Select "Text and URL"
Paste into your other window.

The first paragraph in this post is an example of the result.

If you have similar addons installed, even in other browser or OS, sometimes the clipboard is not available for modification per this addon.

I know absolutely nothing about editpad. Never heard of it.

In Microsoft Edge (or probably any other browser), open the webpage that you want to copy paste from, in another tab. Then:

(1) Copy paste the URL into your post
(2) Copy paste the text you want into your post.

Using that method, I did the following in less than 15 seconds. I doubt the URL has any relevant info, but I am just using it as an example.

https://www.wikihow.com/Copy-and-Paste

This wikiHow teaches you how to copy text, images, and files from one place and paste them into a different location on a Windows or Mac computer, as well as on an iPhone, iPad, or Android mobile device.

Mental block... help!

In general, copying something to the clipboard overwrites whatever was there before.

So the problem is that after you have copied the quote and you go back to the source to copy the URL, you are not actually copying the URL to the clipboard.

What you need to do is highlight the URL (there are multiple ways to do this, easiest in Chrome is to click anywhere in the URL) and then either type Ctrl-C or right click and select Copy from the popup menu. That will move the URL to the clipboard for you to bring it back here to paste.

I'm not sure what is different between the first time you attempt to copy the URL (immediately after copying and pasting the quote), and the second time you attempt to copy the URL (after doing the editpad stuff). But there is something different in the actions you are taking. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that you are getting the URL highlighted but are not typing Ctrl-C or choosing Copy because you mistakenly believe that it has already been copied.

In general, pasting something from the clipboard does *not* erase it from the clipboard - it is left there in case you want to paste it multiple times. So when you paste the quote into editpad, that doesn't do anything to clear it from the clipboard.

To copy... highlight what you want to copy... be it a url or text... then hit Ctrl-C (the Crtl and C buttons at the same time... this copies it to the clipboard).

To paste... go to where you want to paste it and then hit Ctrl-V.... that will paste whatever is on the clipboard to where you pointer is.

There is an easier way.
If you are using Windows, clipboard history keeps track of all contents you pasted into the clipboard.

To invoke it, type WIN+V (that's the windows key on your keyboard - next to ALT key)
The first time you do it, it will ask you if you want to turn it on, click Yes.
It will keep track of all the items you copied to the clipboard.

The next time you type in WIN+V it will show the history of your clipboard, you can click the one you want to use and paste it the window where your mouse is located.

Is anyone here, using the Chrome browser? There is an edit pad for chrome, but it looks like it's just for tablets. I downloaded it thinking it was an extension, but it disappeared. ??

I don't use control C or control S or any other letter codes... To do anything with Chrome, I right click for a menu, (as... "Copy") or (Select")... and others, but no place on that menu to "delete". The only way to get the original copied item off the "mouse" is to paste it somewhere else....ie. editpad, and then delete it.

Ie. I copy and past the URL onto the ER page.... after I do that, I have to get that URL off the "Mouse" in order to copy post the copy.

I'm getting too old for this...:LOL:

I copy and past the URL onto the ER page.... after I do that, I have to get that URL off the "Mouse" in order to copy post the copy.

After pasting the url, selecting/copying the text should overwrite what’s in the clipboard, at least in my experience..

After pasting the url, selecting/copying the text should overwrite what’s in the clipboard, at least in my experience..

Am putting myself on probation. Y'all are right...:facepalm:

After 36 years of computers. You'd think.... duh!:(

What I wanted to do was to go to the page I was going to post info from... and pick up the URL and the selected quote at the same time, instead of going back and forth. I was doing that using editpad, but was hoping for a chrome extension that would take two or more "copies" and then go to the page I was working on and enter copy 1, copy 2, copy 3 etc.

Last edited:
Is anyone here, using the Chrome browser? There is an edit pad for chrome, but it looks like it's just for tablets. I downloaded it thinking it was an extension, but it disappeared. ??

I don't use control C or control S or any other letter codes... To do anything with Chrome, I right click for a menu, (as... "Copy") or (Select")... and others, but no place on that menu to "delete". The only way to get the original copied item off the "mouse" is to paste it somewhere else....ie. editpad, and then delete it.

Ie. I copy and past the URL onto the ER page.... after I do that, I have to get that URL off the "Mouse" in order to copy post the copy.

Are you sure? I googled Chromebook equivalents of control commands and found this. I don't have a Chromebook so can't test.

Chrome OS also supports standard text-editing keyboard shortcuts other operating systems support. For example, you can press Ctrl+Backspace to delete the previous word, use Ctrl + Z to undo, and use the standard Ctrl+X, Ctrl+C, and Ctrl+V shortcuts to Cut, Copy and Paste. Consult our in-depth guide to text-editing keyboard shortcuts for more shortcuts.

https://www.howtogeek.com/189324/master-chrome-os-with-these-chromebook-keyboard-shortcuts/

Are you sure? I googled Chromebook equivalents of control commands and found this. I don't have a Chromebook so can't test.

https://www.howtogeek.com/189324/master-chrome-os-with-these-chromebook-keyboard-shortcuts/

I don't think he's saying they aren't available, he's saying he doesn't use them (I think).

The main idea of the graphical interface was to get away from having to remember key codes. And I appreciate that thought, but you really can work faster and more error free if you get used to some of them. For me, Control C, X, B (Bold), U (Underline), I (Italics), A (All), P (Print), O (Open), F (Find), R (Refresh), S (Save), and some of their CNTRL_SHIFT versions (Save As) are just second nature now.

And most menus show them to you, so it helps if you need a refresher, or to find one you don't commonly use.

I'm pretty sure DW still avoids the key-codes. Drives me nuts if I see her going through a bunch of menu, copy; menu, paste operations. I feel like I'm getting Carpel Tunnel just watching her.

-ERD50

I use a mouse and WIN10 with Edge as my browser. With Win10, it is pretty easy. Highlight - right click - select copy - right click - select paste. I have the choice of Copy, Delete, Paste, Select all, Print or Read Aloud. Only the first 3 actually work on the highlighted text. The others work on the entire page.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-copy/bijpdibkloghppkbmhcklkogpjaenfkg?hl=en

An extension for Chrome that works like the Firefox add-on I posted previously in this thread.

There is an easier way.
If you are using Windows, clipboard history keeps track of all contents you pasted into the clipboard.

To invoke it, type WIN+V (that's the windows key on your keyboard - next to ALT key)

The next time you type in WIN+V it will show the history of your clipboard, you can click the one you want to use and paste it the window where your mouse is located.

This is so awesome! I never knew this was a thing. Well, this will be my new go-to method of copying and pasting multiple items. I just activated it and tested it out and it works beautifully and simply!

Try using the method that Go-NoGo posted above. It's so easy!

But, this aside, why are you trying to get the original copy "off the mouse?" If you're just using the copy and paste functions (whether keyboard shortcuts or right clicking), once you copy a new item, the old item is automatically erased.

Here's a quick video I just uploaded of me using the regular copy and paste functions in Chrome, without getting the original copies "off the mouse." And ignore my loud breathing, I've a cold!

There is an easier way.

+1 I knew that was in there somewhere but forgot how to get it. Now I activated it and hope I will remember the Win+V to bring it up in the future.

Wow, Win+V works. I can see several items recently copied. I haven't seen that function since, Microsoft Bob maybe? You learn something new (old?) everyday.

Am slow the learn...
I tried the Widows V and found the multiple copy editpad, and it works.

Thank you!

Aside:
Tech is becoming more than I can handle.

Even though I have a smartphone, an old ZTE tracfone, we only use it in the car for emergencies. We use a landline... and that is the only number we give out, for others to call us. The world has left us behind. We are expected to carry a phone with us. Actually a phone for me, and a phone for jeanie.

I can see it now... son calls my smartphone, and i forgot to bring it with me, so he calls jeanie's phone, and it's in her jacket on the hook in the cloakroom. Son panics, calls our land line.. no answer. Then a call to 911.

So... the rest of the rant... Whenver we have to contact any business by phone... The only way they want to reply to a question, is to send us a text.
There should be a government requirement that every person over age 5 MUST have, and carry with them a cell phone.

Getting old is getting hard to do... memory loss, new technology, losing some physical abilities to ride my bike (for safety reasons)... peripheral neuropathy, and having to call people to fix the transmission in my car, to replace my dishwasher, to shovel the driveway, mow the lawn, and to be the Boy Scout Comissioner and 1,000 other things that were easy to do....

Now not so easy. So, back to w*rk... to learn to use Win + V.

:dance:

Coming back with a thought.
If you ever wondered why we don't all speak the same tech language, sometimes it's because we're not aware that others are speaking in the framework of a different experience.

When you have a few minutes, try this website, which details the different browsers in use. Betcha a nickle that you won't recognize or know about all of them. Even now, I am using "Slimjet"... on an old Windows 7 machine.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-browser-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-safari-vs-edge/

...and... Slimjet. (an easy transition from Chrome)

https://www.slimjet.com/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom