Could Affairs Be Good For A Marriage?

The Gores were telling friends they "grew apart" after 40 years of marriage and there was no affair involved...

Mmmmm, hmmmm...

I wonder how long it will be before new pics of 'boy and gal pals' will be posted....:whistle:

The Gores were telling friends they "grew apart" after 40 years of marriage and there was no affair involved...

Mmmmm, hmmmm...

I wonder how long it will be before new pics of 'boy and gal pals' will be posted....:whistle:

Which one gets which?

I suspect that the Clintons will remain married until all political aspirations are over. Until then the marriage has much to offer, notwithstanding cold ashes. Gore has made it clear that he does not intend to seek public office again, so the separation doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is that Edwards didn't learn this lesson.

Mmmmm, hmmmm...

I'm pretty sure Tipper had a three way going with Frank Zappa and John Denver back in '85. :whistle:

Ehhhh...three way...too many towels. Well, so I've heard....:angel:

The Clintons' marriage may have been a professional decision from the getgo where they furthered each other's careers. The Gores seemed to have more of a classic marital situation with lots of kids and Tipper being the woman behind the man and being more family-oriented. Maybe because the family days are over the Gores are going their own ways now while the Clintons are still quid-pro-quo'ing it.

But I have only a couple of friends had affairs (that I know of; probably more) and they were not good for those marriages.

Is this what is know at the 40 year itch? DW and I are at 38 this year, Oh Boy!

The Clintons' marriage may have been a professional decision from the getgo where they furthered each other's careers. The Gores seemed to have more of a classic marital situation with lots of kids and Tipper being the woman behind the man and being more family-oriented. Maybe because the family days are over the Gores are going their own ways now while the Clintons are still quid-pro-quo'ing it.

But I have only a couple of friends had affairs (that I know of; probably more) and they were not good for those marriages.
Gore has undergone a major transition from political underdog to political rock star and prize winner. I think they are splitting up because they can afford to.

The Clintons not so much. I think she might send him packing when the time is right.

Affairs can be good or bad. I think mostly bad. But I have had many and I am fully committed to my current partner. But that is because of her not them.

The Clintons' marriage may have been a professional decision from the getgo where they furthered each other's careers. .

Can't speak for anyone else, but members of my family have known Bill Clinton since College. Hillary was absolutely gaga for him at Yale.

Is this what is know at the 40 year itch? DW and I are at 38 this year, Oh Boy!

Just celebrated 35 and I'm still trying to figure the lady out.

Attachments

• diving.jpg
    diving.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1
36 years for DH and I this December. Hope that 40 year itch thing ain't true.

I don't know if affairs are good for a marriage..........all I know is they would be deadly for MY marriage...............

Al and Tipper Gore separating after 40 years, that's very surprising. We may never know for sure the reason why. Seems like mostly, they just drifted apart.

I keep thinking maybe it's because Al wants to conserve energy and Tipper leaves all the lights on in the house. Something like that going on for 40 years might have just been too much. Or maybe Al always squeezed the tootpaste in the middle, for 40 years. Or maybe they have philosophical differences on how to stack the dishwasher and just couldn't come to a compromise. All understandable reasons to say enough is enough :)

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1993338,00.html?xid=rss-topstories

Who would have thunk a few years back, the Clintons would have the most stable marriage rather than the Gores or Edwards'? (that is, if you use staying married as the sole definition of stable).

Al and Tipper Gore separating after 40 years, that's very surprising. We may never know for sure the reason why. Seems like mostly, they just drifted apart.

I keep thinking maybe it's because Al wants to conserve energy and Tipper leaves all the lights on in the house. Something like that going on for 40 years might have just been too much. Or maybe Al always squeezed the tootpaste in the middle, for 40 years. Or maybe they have philosophical differences on how to stack the dishwasher and just couldn't come to a compromise. All understandable reasons to say enough is enough :)

Al and Tipper Gore Separate: Why Some Long Marriages End - TIME

Who would have thunk a few years back, the Clintons would have the most stable marriage rather than the Gores or Edwards'? (that is, if you use staying married as the sole definition of stable).

The Clinton marriage is one of convenience..........Bill "conveniently" forgets to be faithful, and Hillary "conveniently" forgets that Bill is unfaithful..........;)

Let's bring this back to ER since perhaps that explains the Al-Tipper breakup

What do you or your spouse do in ER that makes them nuts and threaten to leave you (or worse) that was ok while you or spouse was working?

We used to do a full check on financials about every quarter. Now I'm checking every week
Makes DW nuts since we dont actually change anything. She compares it to getting our hosue reappraised

36 years for DH and I this December. Hope that 40 year itch thing ain't true.
I thought the 40 year itch thing was about a person's age and not the number of years they've been married...:eek:

I've heard about the 7 year itch for married couples. Hmmm, for me that was 26 years ago...

Hmmm. Three years past the 40 year mark...still going strong! Been together basically 24/7 since ER in '96. We feel like dinosaurs when the subject of marriage comes up among friends. Wonder how many people in ER are still with their original spouse...or at least with the spouse who helped with being able to ER?

Hmmm. Three years past the 40 year mark...still going strong! Been together basically 24/7 since ER in '96. We feel like dinosaurs when the subject of marriage comes up among friends. Wonder how many people in ER are still with their original spouse...or at least with the spouse who helped with being able to ER?

My casual idea judging from what is reported on this board is that very many are still with their mate of most of their life. I am not sure that reporting is absolutely accurate though.

ER itself and our children growing up is what bombed my marriage. My wife wasn't too keen on self impoosed spending limits as her friends spent more while having less. This fact can be interpreted variously, and she interpreted it one way and I another. :)

Back
Top Bottom