Crap, Another Market Kills Self Check-Out

Thanks to genetic engineering soon produce will grow its own bar codes.

Wow this appears too complex. I just tell the register what the produce is by typing in part of the name and look for its picture. Select and it is weighed and priced. No way I'm writing down codes on little labels. Who's going to read that scribble?
The scales in produce are closed to all the food bins, so it's easy to walk over to the scale and get a scannable label printed out and a quick scan at checkout. If you don't want to do this you can do it your way at checkout. For us it makes self-checkout go really fast.

I've bought bulk stuff (some weird kind of almonds) at our Mariano's that did not have a code. I just punched in the code from some other almonds. No problem, no one is even looking at the product vs. the code. I'll try the peanuts code for the macadamia nuts next time (kidding!).

Plus, above that, one of our local stores told my wife they do not stop people even when they know they are stealing. Really sad on so many levels.

I'm sure it's because if the thief fights back (and many do) the potential costs to the store of an injured employee are far in excess of the relatively nickel and dime cost of whatever was stolen. And/or the owner/manager may simply feel it isn't worth the cost of sending an employee to court. It is a business decision after all.

That said the store where we mostly go does have store security and they will prosecute - I've seen the police taking someone out in handcuffs twice. But I'm sure the regular cashiers are told not to confront a shoplifter. That was the policy at the stores where we lived before and the store where we go now is part of the same company.

The scales in produce are closed to all the food bins, so it's easy to walk over to the scale and get a scannable label printed out and a quick scan at checkout. If you don't want to do this you can do it your way at checkout. For us it makes self-checkout go really fast.

Now I understand, thank you.

I primarily use self checkout when I have a few items and a little produce. For weekly stocking I use the full service, haven't seen any issues with a long queue time yet.

I am amazed at people's inability to count. Yesterday I took my 11 items to the 15-and-fewer line at my neighborhood store, and the young man in front of me had 24 items. I wish the cash registers would sound an alarm at the 16th item and refuse to proceed.
Oh, they can count. They just don't care. They do not want to wait .

First it was Costco, Now Albertsons. I asked the checker why ? " Shrinkage " was the reply.

Home Depot and 2 other markets nearby still do it, but with a checker supervising at all times.

I would be ok with killing the self checkout if replaced with a " Cash Only, No Talking " line. :rolleyes:
The reason I think the self check out isn't quite a winner is because companies don't really save money having one. In theory a company saves money, in practice no, because they still have to have someone there in the area for alcohol sales and other potential issues.

Which reminds me of a pet peeve, which I'm too lazy to put in the proper thread. The Giant where I sometimes shop, has someone roaming the self-checkouts in case someone needs help. This person also bags your self-checked items, while you are going through the business with the scanner, and doesn't ask first if you want them to bag for you.

No!!! Do not tell Wegmans about this. I have learned to do the self-checkout precisely because I can bag my own groceries. Well, also because at the time I go, the self-checkout is always available.

Wegmans has the helpers, but so far they only help when asked.

I go grocery shopping on Tuesdays and usually get there before 8am. Tuesday mornings are supposed to be the least busy time and I have found it to be true. It's mostly other retired people but also working people making a mad dash for it. Those are the people I see in front of me with too many items in express.

Instead of going into a silent fury, as I used to, now I pity them a little. My next destination is home, and it doesn't matter when I get there.

I have learned to do the self-checkout precisely because I can bag my own groceries. Well, also because at the time I go, the self-checkout is always available.

Me too. I use the self-checkout at Kroger or Meijer for two reasons:

1) usually I just want to pack my own bags - not a huge deal, but I like things the way I like things ;-)

2) Sometimes I just have a couple of items and self checkout is just so quick and easy.

And I don't have to talk to anyone, not even to just exchange pleasantries.

Exactly. Manifestation of the current American attitude of "Eff you. So, what are you gonna do about it?" It's been going on for quite a while

Pretty much. It has been my contention for a long time that if EVERYONE (and I mean EVERYONE, even me!) were just *a little* more courteous, then society would be exponentially better. But, as long as "it's all about ME!" and the population continues to grow and confine us further, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

I go grocery shopping on Tuesdays and usually get there before 8am. Tuesday mornings are supposed to be the least busy time and I have found it to be true.
You're way too busy & regimented for my idea of retirement. :greetings10:

I like the laser checkout system at Empire Market.

I like the self checkouts when I don't have a ton of items and they are not disappearing around here. I have not seen anyone write a check in years.

It's not just minimum wage or unskilled jobs. I spent a great deal of my career developing software to replace people in back office positions. The thought was if a human adds no value to a business transaction why should they do it?

Me too.
My last great project was to replace the owner of the company, then 10 employees can now work on their own. :cool:

Do these retailers consider at all what the customer wants ? or is it a situation of the retailer knows what is " Good for the Customer" ?

Other industries research the customer opinions . Maybe it's not applicable to non durable sales.

Last edited:
Me too.
My last great project was to replace the owner of the company, then 10 employees can now work on their own. :cool:

Yes, I was always amazed that as indispensible as I was that if I went on vacation for a couple weeks that the work just kept humming along without me... not sure how they did it, but they seemed to muddle through better without me. :D

Back
Top Bottom