Crap, Another Market Kills Self Check-Out

I was behind some woman that insisted she write out her full name, in cursive, on the card reader. She was so slow and the name was so long the reader kept timing out. :facepalm: I was tempted to point out that it accepts any little scribble.

Thinking about this, I have noticed that the green "approve" light comes on the instant the pen touches the screen. Next time I'll try just an "x" instead of writing a name. That'll be faster.

A couple of years ago, I encountered an over 15 checking out in the 15 or less line. I told the manager about it, and told him if it happened again I would find another store. Not hard as there was one across the street. Several weeks later it happened again, and I went to the manager and handed him my shoppers card and told him why. I then wrote a note to management through their website. Never got a reply, but never went back either.

And the moral of this story is...... they do not give a crap....

I try to use self-checkout when the lines at the regular cashier are long but I have about a 50% success rate. At a Wal-Mart I had to fake the system out by not bagging one item although the receipt correctly showed that I'd paid for it. I made sure I had the receipt with me when I left but no one challenged me.

And I'd LOVE a no-EBT line. Those end up being two transactions since the customer has to pay separately for items not covered by EBT.

Great idea. I almost always pay cash. I think I'll start using checks. And practice nice slow cursive writing.:D

Not to mention remembering how to spell out the numbers: $156.07

One Hundred Fifty Six and 07/100 Dollars...

Do they still teach this stuff in schools? Do Millennials even do checks?

You really need to try bartering. Or make the cashier an offer. If he/she says they aren't authorized to negotiate, ask him/her to call a supervisor over. The folks behind you will find it very entertaining and will express their appreciation! Soon, everyone will want to be behind you in line!

Great idea.
When you are done with that trick give them cash. Insist on training the cashier on the proper way to count change.

Y'all just don't chat up the checkout folks enough. When they see me, they open a new lane for me, check me out, and close the lane.

Thinking about this, I have noticed that the green "approve" light comes on the instant the pen touches the screen. Next time I'll try just an "x" instead of writing a name. That'll be faster.

My checkout name for the screen is Elvis. Works like a charm.

Lots of stress showing in this thread. For me, having a high degree of financial security bought enough tolerance to forgive the 85 year old lady who probably had a life a hell of a lot tougher than mine, yet remains the most pleasant person in the store---for her, I'm able to manage a smile and a little slack.

I use the self-checkout lanes once in a while so I can get rid of all my small coins (dimes, nickels, pennies). I can dump them all into the change slot before I put my bills in or pay with a card.

Some supermarket items such as fresh bakery goods (donuts, rolls, bagels) don't have UPC codes so I need help to call up the right store code. Even if I have only normal items, nearly half the time something odd happens at the scanner which delays me and needs a cashier to help out.

I do credit one supermarket I go to at night on the way home - the night manager often opens the self-checkout temporarily to relieve crowding on the very few cashier lines.

I don't know if the "Slows" at the self check are necessarily slow due to technologically challenged.

On weekends there are tons more people shopping. The normal lines are longer. So many people who do not normally use the selfies have to use them. They're just not used to it. If they own a tablet or iPhont (and they probably do) they are more technologically up on things than I am.

Even I slow down if I am at a store I don't usually shop at. The self checker protocols and audo/visual cues are not standardized so I find myself waiting for that final "Cash back"? or whatever coup de gras question that never happens or some other sequence of events that happens at Store -A- but not at Store -B-. At the regular store I'm faster than the machine is

Of course I don't know where you shop.

Not to mention remembering how to spell out the numbers: $156.07

One Hundred Fifty Six and 07/100 Dollars...

Do they still teach this stuff in schools? Do Millennials even do checks?

My son has the bank write a check and send it to anyone who needs a check. :cool:

I use self-checkout a lot because the baggers do such a lousy job. I give them 4 or 5 of my reusable bags and ask them to use them all, and they stuff it all in 2 bags, crushing the bread, dropping bottles on bananas, stuff like that.

What drives me nuts in the checker lines is the people watching everything being rung up, looking at the total, and then realizing they're going to have to pay for it. They look in their purse or pockets for their checkbooks, and then start slowly filling it out, when they could've put in everything other than the amount while waiting.

Yes, well, it used to be that easy around here but now many stores have "upgraded" to chip and pin, so now one has to stick the card in the reader and leave it there for some time. The machine could use that time to verify if the card is good for, say, $100, but no, it waits until the total is determined (almost always under $100 for me) THEN begins the electronic querying process while everyone twiddles thumbs. Aha, finally, yes the card is approved for $52.16. Since the total was above $50 you must sign too. Oops, silly you, you began to remove your card before signing! Now we need to start the verification process over. After more time, you put your wallet away so you can select the OK button and awkwardly sign on a screen with the fat stylus. Remember, you'll be penalized if you remove the card before the annoying buzzer sounds! Finally you are permitted to retrieve your wallet and put the card back in it. I really want to know who comes up with these designs, and how much field testing they do.

We have 'tap' now for our chip and pin cards and it is fast! For under $200 at Costco and some other places and under $100 at others it's just 'tap' and go! No PIN entry even. And the terminals seem rocket fast in most instances. Very convenient.

my son just draws happy faces. always works just fine.

We have 'tap' now for our chip and pin cards and it is fast! For under $200 at Costco and some other places and under $100 at others it's just 'tap' and go! No PIN entry even. And the terminals seem rocket fast in most instances. Very convenient.

You have Costco and high speed Internet.

Everything is slow here but all chip cards are insanely slow. Thirty seconds or more for authorization is typical.

All except one convenience store in a little plaza. I noticed it a while ago and mentioned it. Guy told me it was the fastest in the area! After months I agreed.

Little machine was barely bigger than my CC. I told him I thought the screaming speed
was due to the little reader using advanced technology called tinybytes. He still looks at me a little differently.

I have no idea what they did to make that transaction so much faster with whatever implementation of technology used. If it's secure it's great.

I was self-checking out of Walmart the other day and was in a rush... not sure why... anywho, I had cough drops and cough syrup... ran the cough drops through fine... scan the cough syrup and have to wait for an attendant to approve it before I can pay :mad::mad:

Stupid. Alcohol I can understand, and I understand that cough syrup has alcohol in it but to hold up things for cough syrup is ridiculous.

And BTW... get off my stinking lawn!

What's the rush? Relax and live longer. I love taking out my checkbook to pay, even when I originally didn't intend to, especially when there's some young / obnoxious "can't wait 2 minutes to pay for his redbull and chips" millennial on line. If an older lady pulls out her wallet to pay cash, I'll compliment her on it - she'll turn, smile and start a conversation. I also like to chat with cashiers. Life is good when you're retired. :)

Everybody is not retired so knowingly doing this is sort of rude it seems to me but whatever. Knowing you are aware will make me feel better about being rude and impatient with your type next time a slow poke is in front of me chatting about the weather while they pay with their check.

Why cash only? I find cash takes too much time. Just swipe the card.
Swipe? What century you living in? Have to shove it & wait for the annoying remove buzzer anywhere I go these days.

last time at the ghetto kroger some old lady started yaking with the checker - "ma'am, this is the EXPRESS lane, not the buffet line"
So what is a studly young millionaire doing at a ghetto Kroger anyway? Try Whole Foods.

Ha

Giant foods in the PA lets you scan you're loyalty card, pick up a scanner, and bag as you go. They conduct random audits. I scan the scanner at checkout, pay, and go. It's much less tedious.

See what Amazon is doing:

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-go-grocery-store-future-photos-video-2016-12

I think the store actually opened in December.

The Giants in MD have the scanners too but I keep forgetting to use them. I finally remembered once and it worked well but not sure how it works for produce. We have bring your own bag or pay a nickel so it really works well if I could just remember to bring my grab bags that you can load directly in the cart.

Swipe? What century you living in? Have to shove it & wait for the annoying remove buzzer anywhere I go these days.

Ok You are probably correct. I live in Iowa across the river from Nebraska maybe the "technocracy" hasn't caught up here yet?

The only place I have run into here that actually utilizes the "chip" in my credit card makes me wait is the Vet I take my dog to and yes, you can have a nice conversation while that thing is percolating

BUT.... I meant debit card. That is still swipe and run at least here. Do they make you wait for processing now too? I can't believe they can't find a way to make it faster

What drives me nuts in the checker lines is the people watching everything being rung up, looking at the total, and then realizing they're going to have to pay for it. They look in their purse or pockets for their checkbooks, and then start slowly filling it out, when they could've put in everything other than the amount while waiting.

Well that's because I have to be sure I don't get overcharged for something, but to help everyone out, instead of a checkbook, I count out my change.

It's a very untrusting situation, as no sooner do I hand the change to the cashier, but he/she then re-counts it all, sometimes twice. ;)

I was self-checking out of Walmart the other day and was in a rush... not sure why... anywho, I had cough drops and cough syrup... ran the cough drops through fine... scan the cough syrup and have to wait for an attendant to approve it before I can pay :mad::mad:

Stupid. Alcohol I can understand, and I understand that cough syrup has alcohol in it but to hold up things for cough syrup is ridiculous.

And BTW... get off my stinking lawn!

Many stores are putting restrictions on cough syrups for large quantity purchase and age limits. It seems the young dumb kids take Dextromethorphan (DM) in large quantities to get euphoria, hallucinations, distorted visual perceptions and loss of motor control. Sometimes called Robo-ing or robotripping (from robitussin dm) and many others.
They just need to wait 70 years to have loss of motor control :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom