Crate Training

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I’m once again hoping the eclectic crew on ERdotOrg will have the answers. DW and I are getting a Golden Retriever puppy in about 8 weeks. This will be our 5th but for the first time we would like to crate train. I understand that we need to start with a small crate but how small? Does anyone have suggestions on crates, training books, etc?

You don't have to buy a small crate. Buy the large crate that you will eventually need but block off the back half (or 2/3) of the crate with pieces of plywood or plexiglas slid through the bars of the crate. A friend of ours put a big cardboard box inside a plastic garbage bag in the back of their dogs crate. You know how Golden's can chew so don't use cardboard or plastic or you will have a vet bill for removing the plastic. They will even chew the plywood if you don't start the training right away. We cut and sanded plywood to fit between the bars. Our friends have Molson Golden and to tire him out they chase him on their quad. Start training early. We always started with puppy classes and our dogs were a pleasure to be around.

We crate trained (sort of) our husky mix. He was a rescue and seemed semi-familiar with the concept when we got him. But he'd been a street dog picked up by the dog catcher - so he'd unlearned some of his training.

For us the way we got crate training to work was a combination of incentives (treats when he'd go in by himself and settle down)... and a lot of long walks/playing with him when he wasn't in the crate. Young dogs have energy and get bored... so long walks and tossing the ball and very important.

For our dog - the crate is his safe space/happy space. We only lock it if we're going to be out for a long period... but he tends to take naps in there throughout the day. He prefers to sleep in the crate as well... in the evening, when the tv goes off he puts himself in the crate. LOL.

Beyond my earlier snide comment..

We started to crate train our current dog (corgi/something mix, much bigger than a corgi).

We got her from a shelter at around 1-2 yo. Crate training actually went well. We started primarily because she was a bit of a chewer. She had clearly been potty trained before, and that kicked in quickly. The chewing went away quickly. For about a year or two, she would go to the crate, but we hardly ever closed the door.

Eventually, we just decided she, and we, did not need it.

We still have the crate, and use it very rarely if we are visiting someone. FWIW, I would recommend a collapsible metal crate. Easy to transport, for a "just in case" visit.

We are very lucky that she travels well. No need for a crate in the car. Give her a bed, and she sleeps the whole way to Florida and back.

Congratulations on the Golden retriever. aka the best dogs evah.

I just got a GR puppy a couple of weeks ago. I started out crate training but I think only lasted a couple nights. She sleeps on the bed w/me now. She is a snuggle bug. She was good about getting me up to go out. There was a couple rough nights where she had diarreha. Vet gave her a script on her visit last week. The last few nights have been great.

ohh and if your experience is like mine STOCK up on neosporin!!! Those puppy teeth are sharp

Good luck w/your puppy

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't that a beer? :D

I've had a lovely golden. His name was Michelob because he was the color of beer. We called him Mick. Great dog.

I would agree about getting a large crate he/she can grow into. I always give my dogs a small treat anytime they go into their crate, and it has been fairly easy to train them.

One of our dogs was nearly impossible to crate train. Treats, enticements, nothing... I made a lot of mistakes then that scared her of it. Ultimately, we fostered an older shelter dog that was crate trained and loved the crate. Our little pup (around 8 months old at the time) watched what he did, and followed along. Zero issues ever since.

Second dog took to the crate immediately.

In both cases, our dogs strongly prefer the crates to be in the room with us at night, and now we don't even put the gates on anymore. That's just where they go for their time.

Stick with it. Under no circumstances try to force the dog into the crate (that's what I did... dumb dumb dumb), and you might consider if it doesn't go well right away, see about fostering an older, experienced dog who can show yours what's what! (Also helps the shelters!)

You never use the crate to punish. You want them to think of the crate as their safe, quiet place.
CardsFan, Yeah, name isn't very original. The puppy was given to them in a Molsen beer box and these friends have no imagination for names.
Forgot to mention in my first post that as the dog grows you move the plywood further back.

One way to create a positive association with the crate is to feed the pup inside it.

For Golden Retriever size dog, a 42 in long ("Large") folding wire kennel works well. They come with a removable divider which can be used until he/she grows in size. First link below is example of such a kennel.
Kennel training is relatively easy for the vast majority of dogs. Trick is to be very consistent and use positive reinforcement when the dog is in the kennel. Second link is the way I normally do it. All my personal dogs over the years and all the dogs I've fostered for rescues got kennel trained for night time sleeping and times when I'm not home. Some adult dogs with separation anxiety are more of a challenge but you are starting with a pup so shouldn't be an issue.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QAVNYGK/ref=twister_B00YBP53ZW?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:
If it were me, I would buy a crate for his eventual adult size. That will become his safe place and they usually learn to love it. If you are concerned about accidents in a bigger space, you could temporarily block it off with a cardboard box or petition until he is trained and grows out of the more confined space. I also think the suggestion of feeding in the crate is a good idea for a while.

Thanks all. I am getting the kennel Whisper66 recommended and have subscribed to the trainer's YouTube channel. We will see how long we last. DW will head in Scrapr's direction ASAP. She wants the dog in bed and the dogs always realize that I should get shoved to the side to make room. :)

Crate training works great,. We foster rescue puppies and setup the crate in the living room. When we open up the crate and let the puppy out to play, my 8 year old will enter the crate and hang out. He seems to love his old safe space.

Also, give clicker training a try. Works great.

I had never used a crate for my labs over the years but recently acquired a 6 month old lab that had been crate trained. Knowing she was used to a crate, I got one (large folding wire kennel) thinking she would be more comfortable being in a new place. She went into it the first night easily enough but did not seem to ever get settled. The next day, I moved the crate to the garage and just put a comfy foam dog bed next to my bed, and she has slept there since (almost a month) with no issues at all. I guess I am fortunate that she was crate trained/house broken but since I am with her 24/7, it is easy enough to keep her from having any accidents inside. She also travels very well so have not needed a crate in my vehicle either. Good luck with the new pup.

My dogs all learned their crates was where they got to go for chill time and to eat. It does take time to get them to learn to settle themselves in the crate.
Kong stuffed with peanut butter or cream cheese, a chew toy (since the puppy with be teething) will help him associate the crate with nice alone time.

Now for a car crate. My pet peeve is people who allow their dogs to ride free in the car. Sorry, but as a person who competes with my dog and have friends that do as well, we have heard way too many horror stories of unrestrained dogs in cars dying in accidents, or the popular "my dog rides on my lap", dog dying when a small fender bender causes the airbag to deploy.

I have Gunner crates, and I believe my dog's life was saved when I was driving last winter and the freeway iced quickly, I was hit twice by sliding vehicles but the crate was strapped down and my dog was fine. Please get a good car crate. :)

When we crate trained our Vizsla, we got a crate that had a divider in it to keep it small while she was small. They should be able to stand up and turn around, but not be able to go to an empty corner and do their business. If they start doing that, the potty train gets really hard. Thankfully, our Vizsla never had any accidents in the house at all...she was quick and easy to train, as was our Golden about 20ish years ago. Our Boston Terror was a different story...

When we crate trained our Vizsla, we got a crate that had a divider in it to keep it small while she was small. They should be able to stand up and turn around, but not be able to go to an empty corner and do their business. If they start doing that, the potty train gets really hard. Thankfully, our Vizsla never had any accidents in the house at all...she was quick and easy to train, as was our Golden about 20ish years ago. Our Boston Terror was a different story...

Vizslas are a wonderful breed. Smart and sensitive.

We always crate train the dogs to sleep in it at night in our bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom