Crosswind Landing

This is a test of the Boeing 777 crosswind landing. I would not have though landing some of these would have been possible.

Thanks Rustic!

I can't wait for DW to get home so I can show her these! A few years ago, during our arrival at Lanai, the pilot made three attempts to set us down in a very strong cross wind before getting us on the ground. We were bouncing around and facing significantly offset to our direction of travel over the runway. DW was squeezing my arm and weeping. I was amazed the pilot didn't give up and take us back to Maui.

Now I know what it must have looked like from the outside of the plane! From inside, we only knew that it was very rough and we were facing a different direction than the plane was traveling.

Now I know what it must have looked like from the outside of the plane! From inside, we only knew that it was very rough and we were facing a differently direction than the plane was traveling.
A textbook example of why a pilot needs a lot of tail rudder.

A textbook example of why a pilot needs a lot of tail rudder.

...and why we practiced slips over and over in basic flight training. I remember an instructor who loved to push in the throttle on downwind, about halfway between midfield and the numbers and announce an engine-out emergency...and that flaps were inoperative as well.

...and why we practiced slips over and over in basic flight training. I remember an instructor who loved to push in the throttle on downwind, about halfway between midfield and the numbers and announce an engine-out emergency...and that flaps were inoperative as well.

Glad my instructor never did that particular trick.

Watching those crosswind landing I was thinking imagine how tough that would be in a trail dragger. :)

Thank God I flew Rotary Wing. You don't like the wind....come to a hover and turn around!:LOL:

Wasn't there a Hong Kong runway where this was the norm rather than the exception?

Imagine the stress on the [-]pilots[/-] gear struts.
Once again I can't decide who's more nuts: the pilots who get paid to attempt these landings, or the photographers who are jostling each other to get closer to the runway for a good tight shot...

I remember seeing a show about the B-52... they showed that the wheels would turn to line up with the runway even when the plane was angled due to crosswinds...

Wonder why nobody else has done this... this has to be many decades old technology....

Also... I wish I still had this.. someone had a video of people landing at the old (IIRC) Hong Kong airport... (maybe Singapore... I don't know which one has a mountain)... they said you had to fly toward the mountain, turn sharply 180 and then drop between buildings to land... Some of the landings were scrapping their wings...

I remember seeing a show about the B-52... they showed that the wheels would turn to line up with the runway even when the plane was angled due to crosswinds...

Wonder why nobody else has done this... this has to be many decades old technology....
I suspect the aircraft manufacturers learned it would be cheaper to build runways that would rotate to align with the wind...

Once again I can't decide who's more nuts: ... the photographers who are jostling each other to get closer to the runway for a good tight shot...

I was one of them crazies. "Plane spotting" was my passion for many years. On good days I would go to the airport before or after work and sometimes even during my lunch break (hum nothing better than to eat lunch surrounded by the sweet smell of jet fuel...;)). When going on vacation, my first question always was, how's the plane spotting there... You get the picture.

I took thousands upon thousands of pictures over many years. I may even have a picture of one of the retired commercial pilots lurking around here in my collection :LOL:(especially if you operated on the east coast for one of the majors in the late 1990's, early 2000's). Some of my pictures have been published on various "spotting" websites, some I have traded with fellow photographers from around the world (Sweden, France, Switzerland, Italy,...) some have been used in airline manuals and on airport websites, and some pilots have asked me for pictures of aircraft they used to pilot. It was so much fun!

Of course, 9/11 changed everything. Lurking around the airport perimeter with a huge bazooka-looking photo lens raises red flags immediately nowadays, particularly in the US. So that was that. :(

To the pilots: is it ok to use your outside engine as auxiliary landing gear like this guy almost did? :D

I think it goes like that: any landing you can walk away from is a good landing...;)

I was one of them crazies. "Plane spotting" was my passion for many years.
Your first name wouldn't happen to be Tony, would it?

I ended up on a plane spotter's website - at least I think that's me sitting in the co-pilot's seat in the Convair T-29.

Wetwing.com: USAF in Early 70's

BTW: I can answer his question but I'd have to kill him if I did. :cool:

To the pilots: is it ok to use your outside engine as auxiliary landing gear like this guy almost did? :D

Not recommended in a Skymaster...:LOL:

Attachments

• SKYMASTER.jpg
    SKYMASTER.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 126
Back
Top Bottom