Debating an electric zero turn mower

I bought a Ryobi 40V string trimmer in 2020, and have been quite pleased with it. I haven't completely run down the battery once yet.

I knew those 2 cycle engines were bad, but was never really sure how bad. At least a gas riding mower is 4-cycle, but it is still not good.

Yes, 2-strokes are really bad, but small 4-strokes are still very bad, compared to a car engine.

It just isn't feasible to put such expensive stuff like catalytic converters, computers, sensors computer controlled fuel injection, gas fume capture systems, and so on, into a product that is much cheaper than a car. Looks like some are switching to a simple fuel injection, which helps, but it takes all that other stuff to really lower emissions.

It just seems like going battery is a simpler, better solution. Even if you charge the batteries from a truck engine running a generator - that truck has all the modern pollution controls.

-ERD50

Lithium battery powered tools are OK if you have spare battery packs and a reliable source of electricity for the long term.

UPDATE:

I went and picked up the Ego Z6 yesterday. I had it set for delivery but that kept getting pushed out, so I just decided to go pick it up. Had to rent a U-Haul trailer to get it home.

I put it together on the trailer so I could just drive it off. Well, that didn't work out. Seems the main control panel / display is DOA. Charges fine. The green start button lights up. The USB port works. But I cannot power up the mower. After calls to Ego and Lowes asking me stupid questions, I am going to return it and rethink all this.

Although all the reviews are glowing, this failure has put me off to all the techno wizardry. I know how to work on a gas mower (I used to flip them) and I know I can always get one up and running without a lot of fuss. I don't know how much a new display costs, but my guess is it ain't cheap. And while this failure will cost me nothing, I am concerned about what happens in 5 years when the warranty is up.

Personally, I wouldn’t let this change my mind. Electronics have typically been that way - they either work fine right out of the box or they don’t. It’s gotta be frustrating, but I’d see it through. Good luck.

I pressure washed the house yesterday with my way over 25 year old gas machine. It started up on the second pull despite not having been used in over a year. I use regular gas in it. In the 25+ years I've had it I had to change out the valve rocker arm ($20) and the recoil starter ($15). And the wand but that is not an engine problem.
I don't see any way an electric mower/pressure washer/etc. would last that long without at least new batteries. Which aren't cheap!

I'm not even close to being ready to switch to a battery powered lawn mower. Small gasoline engines are actually very simple and with the advent of electronic ignition decades ago, about the only problem you might face is a dirty carburetor if you don't run the fuel system dry at the end of the season. This can normally be taken care of in a few minutes and you'll be ready to mow. Also, I don't think I ever bought a new mower. I usually am given fairly new units with minor problems that are easy to fix. So economically, it doesn't make sense for me at this time. If a battery powered unit has an electronic failure, it's usually not a simple fix with readily available parts. Maybe down the road with a more proven track record, I'll convert. I'm already sold on battery powered drills, hedge trimmers, leaf blowers, etc. They've certainly come a long way in the past ten years.

Well, my wife came home and I mentioned the Ego ZTR again and she said order it. Will be delivered Friday. Yeah!

Here's all my other cordless stuff:

WOW!!! Impressive collection of tools.

To comment on battery operating tool, I like them a lot. So many advantages to them like no oil changing and less maintenance. I have had a few battery- operated tools that I have had for 20 years and still work and do just fine. never had a problem or had to replace batteries.

UPDATE:

I went and picked up the Ego Z6 yesterday. I had it set for delivery but that kept getting pushed out, so I just decided to go pick it up. Had to rent a U-Haul trailer to get it home.

I put it together on the trailer so I could just drive it off. Well, that didn't work out. Seems the main control panel / display is DOA. Charges fine. The green start button lights up. The USB port works. But I cannot power up the mower. After calls to Ego and Lowes asking me stupid questions, I am going to return it and rethink all this.

Although all the reviews are glowing, this failure has put me off to all the techno wizardry. I know how to work on a gas mower (I used to flip them) and I know I can always get one up and running without a lot of fuss. I don't know how much a new display costs, but my guess is it ain't cheap. And while this failure will cost me nothing, I am concerned about what happens in 5 years when the warranty is up.
Very sorry to hear that, I’d be put off too. Hope it all works out to your satisfaction. I did a search online and found several others that had similar issues that were only fixed when the customer demanded a total replacement, that’s not so encouraging either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/egopowerplus/comments/olb3hy/z6_completely_dead/

Actually the main reason I still mow after about a two-year layoff is just for the exercise. Every doc says the best thing I can do for myself at this point is keep up the cardio exercise and given the hills I have to deal with it is more than just a walk in the park. It's a pretty good workout, there's an incentive to do it, and I get the immediate gratification of seeing results afterward.
+10. I plan to do as much as I can in and around the house, car, etc. for as long as I can for the exercise more than the satisfaction of not “paying a guy.” I’ll be saddened when the day comes that I can’t do things for myself…so I’m putting it off as long as possible by staying active!

Personally, I wouldn’t let this change my mind. Electronics have typically been that way - they either work fine right out of the box or they don’t. It’s gotta be frustrating, but I’d see it through. Good luck.

Exactly! Electronic are or can be an issue with any product. I have returned things through the years with issues with electronic problems doesn't mean it is the mower isn't a good product.

Exactly! Electronic are or can be an issue with any product. I have returned things through the years with issues with electronic problems doesn't mean it is the mower isn't a good product.
This is the first gen of riding mowers from EGO introduced in Mar 2021 IIRC, so it may not be the same as mature products, electric or otherwise. But I’m an EGO fan, so I hope their riding mowers are just as great as their other products.

ANOTHER UPDATE FROM OP

Well, I caved and went to get another one from a different store (the first store sold me their last one). This time, they assembled it at the store and i tested it out before I drove it on the trailer. That was nice because I knew it was unused and I watched them assemble it (which is easy, 8 bolts). Had that been my first experience I would be ecstatic. As it is, I am just giddy.

Will report back on performance once the yard dries.

ANOTHER UPDATE FROM OP

Well, I caved and went to get another one from a different store (the first store sold me their last one). This time, they assembled it at the store and i tested it out before I drove it on the trailer. That was nice because I knew it was unused and I watched them assemble it (which is easy, 8 bolts). Had that been my first experience I would be ecstatic. As it is, I am just giddy.

Will report back on performance once the yard dries.
Hope it goes great!

You are going to love the Ego 2-stage snow blower.

What's a snow blower? Sent from Panama city Florida, where you don't have to brush the sunshine off your windshield.

Curious to know how this thing works. Does it have hydrostatic drive like a conventional ZT mower or is it all electric?

Curious to know how this thing works. Does it have hydrostatic drive like a conventional ZT mower or is it all electric?

All electric. One motor on each drive wheel and one motor on each blade. Four motors total.

Here's a video of a guy beating the crap out of a new Ego Z6.

Last edited:
All electric. One motor on each drive wheel and one motor on each blade. Four motors total.

Here's a video of a guy beating the crap out of a new Ego Z6.

I don't know why it didn't dawn on me, but that's a really different sound for a riding mower. Seems more obvious than the difference between a gas mower and an EGO push mower, several of my neighbors have them.

I don't know why it didn't dawn on me, but that's a really different sound for a riding mower. Seems more obvious than the difference between a gas mower and an EGO push mower, several of my neighbors have them.

The Ego Z6 zero turn is quieter than my Ego 21" self-propelled mower in driving around mode without the blades running. Once the blades are on, they seem about the same.

Attachments

• Fun_in_snow.jpg
    Fun_in_snow.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 25
One of these things. See how much fun I'm having?
My neighbor has a plastic little cab for him to hide in. His machine has heated grips too. Mine is bare bones but it works.

OP glad you got a working machine. I have an Ego trimmer and blower. The first blower I got was a lemon but it's replacement has been great.

Went out and mowed the front yard with the new Ego Z6. I practiced some yesterday and discovered I am a terrible zero turn driver. I had it in the slowest speed and still ended up in the flower beds a couple of times. I suck. I chickened out today and used the push mower to trim around all the beds first so I didn't have to get close to them when I was mowing for real. Glad I did. I still suck. But it was a hoot! I started getting the hang of it towards the end. Then I put it in sport mode and did some donuts in the street. The inside wheel lifted enough to peel out. What a dork, I am. My wife rolled her eyes.

I can't mow the back yard yet because it is fresh sod. If you turned me loose on that with this mower, it would look like a dirt track for motocross.

It was hot and humid and I didn't break a sweat, which is good and bad. No workout, but I will mow more often and keep the yard looking nicer.

Went out and mowed the front yard with the new Ego Z6. I practiced some yesterday and discovered I am a terrible zero turn driver. I had it in the slowest speed and still ended up in the flower beds a couple of times. I suck. I chickened out today and used the push mower to trim around all the beds first so I didn't have to get close to them when I was mowing for real. Glad I did. I still suck. But it was a hoot! I started getting the hang of it towards the end. Then I put it in sport mode and did some donuts in the street. The inside wheel lifted enough to peel out. What a dork, I am. My wife rolled her eyes.

I can't mow the back yard yet because it is fresh sod. If you turned me loose on that with this mower, it would look like a dirt track for motocross.

It was hot and humid and I didn't break a sweat, which is good and bad. No workout, but I will mow more often and keep the yard looking nicer.

Awesome!

I love it that this comment is from a man who landed aircraft on a pitching "runway" at night.

...I want an EGO push mower but I can’t just dump my perfectly good Honda HRX217HYA gas mower, only 5-6 years old. If I had a really large lawn that warranted a riding mower, I’d probably buy an EGO... [TBH she'd be all for it...]

What if you sell the Honda mower on Craigslist, FB Marketplace, multiple mobile apps so the net loss is less?

Back
Top Bottom