Debating an electric zero turn mower

corn18

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have made the switch to all Ego yard tools: 21" self-propelled lawn mower, edger, trimmer, blower, chain saw and self-propelled snow blower. The Ego version costs about 40% more than the gas equivalent, but it is so worth not having to deal with gas and maintenance. The EGO has been great. I have five batteries now that keep everything running without recharging in the middle of a job.

But now I want a riding mower. EGO sells a zero turn electric for $5500 which is again, a 40% premium over an equivalent zero turn. But I don't really need a zero turn. A regular riding mower would work fine and the small ones can be had for $2000. So now the EGO is a 125% premium over what I need. And I can get a decent used riding mower for $1000. That $5500 price tag is getting hard to justify.

But I hate gas equipment. I still have a gas pressure washer for heavy duty needs. Also have a gas backup generator. There is not a suitable electric alternative for these items, although I do have a small electric pressure washer for smaller duty. I use only ethenal free gas in them which really helps with the maintenance / reliability.

I'm not sure I want a gas riding mower, though, when a suitable electric replacement is available.

Anyone made the switch to an electric riding mower?

.... I'm not sure I want a gas riding mower, though, when a suitable electric replacement is available.

Anyone made the switch to an electric riding mower?

I have not owned one, so I can't comment on that. I'd say it's a personal decision - are the drawbacks of a gas mower enough to justify the price for you? Maybe consider it a "Blow That Dough" worthy post - if you want it, and can afford it, why not?

I will add, that from an environmental viewpoint, it appears that electric lawn equipment makes a *lot* more sense than electric vehicles. Gas lawn equipment has fewer emission controls, they produce a lot of pollution, relative to their use. So electric conversion is a big improvement - which is not so much the case with an EV vs a good hybrid.

I did a quick search, found numbers all over the place, but it certainly is significant. I'm pretty sure that if you looked at it from the big picture view, throwing subsidies at converting lawn equipment to electric (or compressed air, or some other alternate stored energy) would have done a lot more for the environment than the subsidies for EVs.

One example (though I don't see how these numbers equate - maybe I'll do a deeper dive later):

https://www.onlynaturalenergy.com/g...imates that hour,of toxic pollutants per year.

The EPA estimates that hour-for-hour, gasoline powered lawn mowers produce 11 times as much pollution as a new car. According to the EPA, each gas-powered lawn mower produces as much air pollution as 43 new automobiles driven 12,000 per year – lawn care produces 13 billion pounds of toxic pollutants per year.

-ERD50

I have not owned one, so I can't comment on that. I'd say it's a personal decision - are the drawbacks of a gas mower enough to justify the price for you? Maybe consider it a "Blow That Dough" worthy post - if you want it, and can afford it, why not?

I will add, that from an environmental viewpoint, it appears that electric lawn equipment makes a *lot* more sense than electric vehicles. Gas lawn equipment has fewer emission controls, they produce a lot of pollution, relative to their use. So electric conversion is a big improvement - which is not so much the case with an EV vs a good hybrid.

I did a quick search, found numbers all over the place, but it certainly is significant. I'm pretty sure that if you looked at it from the big picture view, throwing subsidies at converting lawn equipment to electric (or compressed air, or some other alternate stored energy) would have done a lot more for the environment than the subsidies for EVs.

One example (though I don't see how these numbers equate - maybe I'll do a deeper dive later):

https://www.onlynaturalenergy.com/g...imates that hour,of toxic pollutants per year.

-ERD50

I knew those 2 cycle engines were bad, but was never really sure how bad. At least a gas riding mower is 4-cycle, but it is still not good.

I intended to work in the yard this weekend and the 40 volt battery in my relatively new electric string trimmer was dead. Went to charge it, and it wouldn't hold a charge. So I changed to my backup battery and it wouldn't hold a charge. Bear in mind a 40 volt lithium battery costs $139, and I bought the backup battery last year so I'd have a spare.

The same thing happened to my 18 volt batteries last year that powers my drill and impact wrench.

I have an Airens 54 inch zero turn mower with a 23 hp Kawasaki engine. In 3 years, it's never failed to start--and has been trouble free. And it's the same mower as a Gravely--and built like a tank. I'm so thankful that I depend on it starting.

Yesterday, I wrote off battery powered yard tools and went out and bought a new gas powered string trimmer. It started up and runs great. And I would never think of owning a battery powered zero turn or riding lawnmower as the price of battery replacements is simply too much.

I intended to work in the yard this weekend and the 40 volt battery in my relatively new electric string trimmer was dead. Went to charge it, and it wouldn't hold a charge. So I changed to my backup battery and it wouldn't hold a charge. Bear in mind a 40 volt lithium battery costs $139, and I bought the backup battery last year so I'd have a spare.

The same thing happened to my 18 volt batteries last year that powers my drill and impact wrench.

I have an Airens 54 inch zero turn mower with a 23 hp Kawasaki engine. In 3 years, it's never failed to start--and has been trouble free. And it's the same mower as a Gravely--and built like a tank. I'm so thankful that I depend on it starting.

Yesterday, I wrote off battery powered yard tools and went out and bought a new gas powered string trimmer. It started up and runs great. And I would never think of owning a battery powered zero turn or riding lawnmower as the price of battery replacements is simply too much.

I am en EGO guy for the past 5 years and have had no issues with their 56V system. I currently have a total of five Ego 56V batteries that I use for all the different tools listed. Also have 10 different Ryobi 18V One+ power tools that have given me zero trouble. And I beat the crap out of them.

The only lithium batteries I have had problems with dying are the generic 20v models

This is what I am considering. I get a 10% military discount, so with tax I save maybe $200.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-Dual-H...ower-with-Mulching-Capability-CARB/5000200347

16408105.jpg

You probably can’t find a financial argument, so it’s a personal decision. I have an EGO blower, and an EGO multi tool edger-hedge trimmer-string trimmer and I’ll never go back - had them all for 3 years, no issues whatsoever yet. However, I only own one 5.0Ah battery. I want an EGO push mower but I can’t just dump my perfectly good Honda HRX217HYA gas mower, only 5-6 years old. If I had a really large lawn that warranted a riding mower, I’d probably buy an EGO. I see it uses 4-6 batteries at a time, so charging is a different proposition than the smaller equipment - but there’s a gang charger included. Best of luck. Compared to owning a boat or a plane, any riding mower is a bargain - that’s what I’d tell DW. :D [TBH she'd be all for it...]

Last edited:
I love the EGO yard equipment, have been using the for about 5 years as well, although I only have three batteries which I switch between products.
For me, the costs include the price tag, the cost the next generation will be paying for my choices, the convenience of the EGO equipment, as well as the much lower local pollution & noise pollution.

If I had a bigger yard, and because of the stellar performance of the EGO products in the past, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one. The push mower works great for my size yard though.

We own the Ego ZTR mower, as well as their leaf blower and line trimmer. Have a total of six batteries. The mower is great. We have about 1 1/2 acres of lawn and the charge lets me get the job done without stopping. Later this year we're planning on replacing our Toro snowblower with the Ego two stage snowblower where the same batteries are used and it is possible to buy the snowblower without batteries.

We own the Ego ZTR mower, as well as their leaf blower and line trimmer. Have a total of six batteries. The mower is great. We have about 1 1/2 acres of lawn and the charge lets me get the job done without stopping. Later this year we're planning on replacing our Toro snowblower with the Ego two stage snowblower where the same batteries are used and it is possible to buy the snowblower without batteries.

You are going to love the Ego 2-stage snow blower. I first bought the one-stage and while it blew snow great, what a pain to push around. The two-stage is a beast. I blow my 75x12 ft driveway then blow all the sidewalks in my cul-du-sac. And if the older folks look like they need it, I blow their driveways too. Other than getting covered in snow when the wind is blowing, I would classify snow removal as fun now.

Well, my wife came home and I mentioned the Ego ZTR again and she said order it. Will be delivered Friday. Yeah!

Here's all my other cordless stuff:

Attachments

• IMG_5243.jpg
    IMG_5243.jpg
    917.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5244.jpg
    IMG_5244.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5246.jpg
    IMG_5246.jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5247.jpg
    IMG_5247.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 51
Anything that I’ve transitioned over to electric I’ve been very happy with. My current equipment is too new and I keep my stuff in good working order, but as things change, I will definitely be going electric. Nothing like pushing a button and things just go. No gas, oil or pulling a rip cord. Not to mention quiet. I’m a big fan of noise reduction.

Anything that I’ve transitioned over to electric I’ve been very happy with. My current equipment is too new and I keep my stuff in good working order, but as things change, I will definitely be going electric. Nothing like pushing a button and things just go. No gas, oil or pulling a rip cord. Not to mention quiet. I’m a big fan of noise reduction.

Agreed. The newer battery-electric tools/appliances are very good, the older generation were pretty wimpy. Lithium batteries, and getting more serious about the power levels on these things have made them very desirable.

I'd buy a lot more of them if they would standardize on the darn batteries. I don't want to be stuck with one manufacturer for all my stuff, and I want to be able to swap batteries between them.

Years ago, environmental groups pushed for standard charging for cell phones, and that became a reality with power over USB, and the Euro nations backed it, and the rest of the world followed.

I wish the environmental groups would make a push for standard batteries for all these things. Far too many batteries and tools and chargers get thrown out because one of them died, and the owner just buys new. And if you had enough batteries and chargers on hand for your needs, you could buy the new tool without batteries.

-ERD50

It seems a good alternative if your yard is sized to be completed within the batteries charge. For a big yard, it may be longer mowing time at only 42 inch deck. But if your yard works for the capacities, I don't see an issue. Since you already have many of the same EGO battery equipment, it helps with the commonality and battery swapping. I don't think the price is that much difference than a quality gas powered zero turn. That is a key, get sufficiently heavy duty enough so it lasts many years, then annual costs are actually lower since it will last so much longer.

I am like Bamaman, I have the big Ariens zero turn. Mine is the 60 inch cut Apex that is the same as the commercial Gravely (same mfr, just different paint color and labels). The Kawasaki engine has been great for 4 years now, and with 2 acres I keep mowed it gets pretty consistent use. I do have several gas cans to fill, which is only a small hassle. Preventative maintenance (PM) on it is easy enough since I have the skills and tools to do it. Live out in the country and have a big yard, just one of the things to do.

Agreed. The newer battery-electric tools/appliances are very good, the older generation were pretty wimpy. Lithium batteries, and getting more serious about the power levels on these things have made them very desirable.

I'd buy a lot more of them if they would standardize on the darn batteries. I don't want to be stuck with one manufacturer for all my stuff, and I want to be able to swap batteries between them.

Years ago, environmental groups pushed for standard charging for cell phones, and that became a reality with power over USB, and the Euro nations backed it, and the rest of the world followed.

I wish the environmental groups would make a push for standard batteries for all these things. Far too many batteries and tools and chargers get thrown out because one of them died, and the owner just buys new. And if you had enough batteries and chargers on hand for your needs, you could buy the new tool without batteries.

-ERD50

I think the different battery packs are part of their evil plan to buy more of their brand. It worked on me. I have all Ryobi tools (drills, saws, sanders, etc...) but wish I had started with Milwaukee. More expensive but I like them better. To switch over now would cost a fortune, though.

The internal batteries are pretty much all the same. 18650 lithium cells wired to whatever voltage the tool requires. They could easily make a standard pack, but then we could pick and choose and swap between brands and they wouldn't want that.

I think the different battery packs are part of their evil plan to buy more of their brand. It worked on me. I have all Ryobi tools (drills, saws, sanders, etc...) but wish I had started with Milwaukee. More expensive but I like them better. To switch over now would cost a fortune, though.

The internal batteries are pretty much all the same. 18650 lithium cells wired to whatever voltage the tool requires. They could easily make a standard pack, but then we could pick and choose and swap between brands and they wouldn't want that.

Exactly - that's why I'd like to see environmental and consumer groups put the pressure on standardization. If companies can't be "shamed" or pressured into it, maybe some government regs are in order (though that's my least favorite route, for many reasons).

-ERD50

My only experience so far with battery-powered yard gear is the Milwaukee chain saw. It's surprisingly powerful. I've been very impressed with performance. The best part is no gas/oil or wondering if it's going to start.

But the huge 12Ah battery stopped accepting a charge after less than 3 years. Fortunately, I was JUST inside the 3-year warranty, by a month or two. So Milwaukee eventually sent me a new battery, though it took about 2 or 3 months and the process was ridiculously bureaucratic. Had it been a month or two later, that would have cost me $239 for a new battery.

My ZTR is a very reliable Ferris 48" with 21HP Kawasaki. It's a commercial rig that I bought new in 2005 for $5600. Still going strong. I only put about 25 hours per year on it, and I am meticulous about maintenance. So it will probably last longer than me.

I also have a Stihl leaf blower and line trimmer that are both relatively new and also ultra-reliable. I do get tired of messing around with gas, oil, and fuel stabilizer. But I like the raw power and reliability of Stihl. So I'm probably sticking with gas for a while longer.

Frank and I have a yard guy, Percy, who mows and edges our lawns every week or two depending on how fast the grass is growing. He charges each of us $35/mow. Even in our hot rainy climate that is so conducive to grass growing, this still only adds up to about $1200/year. You'd be surprised at how many retired people do not mow their own yards.

Unless you are genuinely thrilled and ecstatic looking forward to the opportunity to mow your own yard, I'd get a yard man instead of a rider mower. Take your weekends back!

6978-albums171-picture1165.gif

I live in a townhome. I hear the yard guys out their right now mowing and blowing.

I live in a townhome. I hear the yard guys out their right now mowing and blowing.

Isn't it great? After mowing my own yard for years, I love hearing Percy (my yard guy) out there mowing and blowing.

Isn't it great? After mowing my own yard for years, I love hearing Percy (my yard guy) out there mowing and blowing.

I am enjoying yard work so far. We always had a yard service because I was gone all the time. Now that I am retired, it is nice getting back into it. Maybe by the time my new mower stops working I will change my mind.

Unless you are genuinely thrilled and ecstatic looking forward to the opportunity to mow your own yard, I'd get a yard man instead of a rider mower. Take your weekends back!

Actually the main reason I still mow after about a two-year layoff is just for the exercise. Every doc says the best thing I can do for myself at this point is keep up the cardio exercise and given the hills I have to deal with it is more than just a walk in the park. It's a pretty good workout, there's an incentive to do it, and I get the immediate gratification of seeing results afterward.

Back on topic, I'm looking hard at the new Milwaukee battery electric which generally gets good reviews but a disturbing number mention an issue dealing with sudden and repeated stoppages for no apparent reason. (All my battery tools are Milwaukee, so the batteries all fit.) Also the manual cautions against using a hose to clean it off. Who ever heard of a lawn mower that can't stand getting wet? It doesn't say in the manual, but does that mean you can't mow wet grass? If so I'm out. The battery well isn't sealed against dust and that looks like it'll need a vacuum cleaner to get it clean. All in all, for $1,100 (yikes!) I think it needs more development so I'll probably wait at year or two. I'm really happy with my other Milwaukee tools so if I do buy an electric I'll probably buy that one.

And there isn't a doggone thing wrong with the gasoline powered Toro that I have now so it's hard to justify pitching that just because "I wanna...". Filling it with gas every mowing, changing the oil and air filter once a year is not a challenge for me, and neither is sharpening the blade, which has to be done on the electric anyway.

Re the noise level, on the Milwaukee the sound level is ~90 dbA (I forget exactly) which is pretty close to most gas-powered mowers. A factoid I learned from model airplanes is that most of the noise is not generated by the engines or motors, but from the propellers. This is true of propeller driven full size airplanes too. So while electric mowers are quieter, it is unrealistic to expect near silence and you'd probably be better off hanging on to your earplugs when using them.

It's funny, when I moved into our home 9 years ago I was gifted a used Toro push mower. I haven't even bothered changing the oil on it. I just keep filling it each spring with a little bit since it tends to burn a tad throughout the summer. That thing is like rock solid. I don't even bother running ethanol free in it. So basically in terms of time consumption to maintain, I drive to the gas station to fill up 87 octane, bring my can with, and when I am done filling my truck, I just drop the tailgate and proceed to fill the gasoline can as well.

MAYBE this won't be sustainable, but so far it's worked for 9 years without any signs of the mower slowing down. I do sharpen the blade each spring as well, which you would also need to do on an electric. I haven't made the switch to electric yet. I bought a dewalt electric chain saw and quickly realized it wasn't powerful enough and the battery didn't last very long.

I have all Echo gas saw, weed whacker, backpack blower. My neighbor tried using a battery blower and quickly bought a STIHL as the battery wasn't powerful enough for the whole yard clearing task each spring and fall.

I am TEMPTED to get a battery lawnmower...and when my push gas dies, I think I will. But for now no need for me to switch.

Frank and I have a yard guy, Percy, who mows and edges our lawns every week or two depending on how fast the grass is growing. He charges each of us $35/mow. Even in our hot rainy climate that is so conducive to grass growing, this still only adds up to about $1200/year. You'd be surprised at how many retired people do not mow their own yards.

That's fine for a small suburban yard. My 2 acres would be $80 and up. Not sure the current prices. With inflation it's probably $100 or more.

Also I do not mind mowing or yard work. At some point in the future it might become too much, but hopefully that is around the same time my big zero turn is used up.

Back
Top Bottom