Detroit-Sad post-apocalyptic images

There is something oddly beautiful about those photos. Detroit must have been a great city once upon a time.

Yup, its a hard road to crawl when your population has dropped by so much. I hope they can get things together and pull off a Pittsburgh.

Yup, its a hard road to crawl when your population has dropped by so much. I hope they can get things together and pull off a Pittsburgh.

I lived in Pittsburgh in the 80s and it was a pretty vital city. Even in the 80s people in Pittsburgh used to talk about the decline of Detroit. I don't think PGH ever got to the stage that Detroit is in now, financially or socially. However, the population of the city of Pittsburgh continues to decline and I see that it is now only 75% of what it was when I lived there. It's really sad what has happened to the Pittsburgh International Airport. I loved the old round PIA terminal building, and I remember it as bursting at the seams when it was a major hub for US Air. I recall flying direct to London on British Airways! Last time I flew to PIT was in 1997, when the 1992 airport terminal was at its busiest, and it still looked like they had overestimated capacity. Now, without US Air, it is an albatross.

I find these stories of decline inexorably sad. I have not set foot in my home country (Ireland) for several years, because I want to remember it as it was.

That theater made me want to cry. I can only imagine how grand it once was.

And yes, I think Detroit should look to Pittsburgh as an example of how a city can go "bust" with the steep decline of one critical industry and reinvent itself as one of the more economically vibrant and diversified economies in the country.

The difference may be that Pittsburgh busted early in the decline of manufacturing, and Detroit busted too late. Earlier in the decline, the hole you have to dig out of isn't as deep.

Ziggy29

Detroit's problems are more than just economical.

Last edited:
Having grown up in metro Detroit, I could not help but shed a tear when I ran across this collection of images-

Modern Ruins of Abandoned Detroit (PHOTOS) - weather.com

A sad and tragic reminder of what this historic and proud city once was :(

It is very sad to see that city go to ruin. The first photo brought back memories as I spent a lot of time in Plant 21 when I was with the Fisher Body Division. Before the new era of doing vehicle pilot programs in the assembly plants, a lot of it was done at Plant 21, checking the fit and assembly of the various vehicle components. I'm talking the 60's and early 70's.

Agree 100%. Listen to Detroit talk radio for a day or two. Far too many, inc some local politicians, still just don't get it. I admire Pittsburgh's turnaround efforts, but unfortunately I gotta agree with Ziggy that Detroit has fallen further in many ways than Pitt ever did. A true Detroit renaissance will require a sustained Herculean effort of both Detroiters and outsiders.

That theater made me want to cry. I can only imagine how grand it once was.

Yeah... art and education... two of the things that mark the moral values that we cherish and that separate us from androids. Sad.

These pictures remind me of something I've been meaning to bring up in a public forum. Is there any modern precedence for a large city becoming COMPLETELY abandoned? Is it possible that Detroit completely clears out in the next decade or two, because it can't recover?

Ziggy29

Nevertheless, the root cause was the dependence on one industry and creating a false sense that they were not highly vulnerable to a downturn in that industry. Surely there was plenty of mismanagement along the way, but that was largely based in some mistaken belief that the gravy train would never stop rolling on.

These pictures remind me of something I've been meaning to bring up in a public forum. Is there any modern precedence for a large city becoming COMPLETELY abandoned? Is it possible that Detroit completely clears out in the next decade or two, because it can't recover?

Chernobyl. I have seen several programs on tv about how it is crumbling and being taken back by nature. The images from Chernobyl are interesting, many movies come to mind of life after humans.

I doubt Detroit will be abandoned.

In Detroit there are so many images of once grand and beautiful structures in total ruin and decay. They are so unusual because we seldom ever see such degradation. I find them fascinatingly spooky.

There is a lesson to be learned from Detroit. While not TEOTWAWKI it is Atlas Shrugged in real time.

Someone needs to find vast quantities of crude oil below Detroit! :dance:

If you think those pictures are hard to look at, try driving around the immediate areas outside of downtown and see the scores of abandoned housed and dilapidated neighborhoods.

I lived and worked near downtown Detroit in the mid-1970s. As I drove across the Ambassador Bridge cutting through Canada to get to Buffalo, I remember distinctly thinking I'm not glancing back as I wanted this place to be a distant memory.

I'm surprised that enterprising eBay-ers and etsy-ites haven't descended on Detroit with huge moving trucks to strip out the file drawers and clocks and chairs and safe deposit boxes, and other ephemera and paraphernalia that has been abandoned, to sell online to hipsters and collectors.

I'm surprised that enterprising eBay-ers and etsy-ites haven't descended on Detroit with huge moving trucks to strip out the file drawers and clocks and chairs and safe deposit boxes, and other ephemera and paraphernalia that has been abandoned, to sell online to hipsters and collectors.
My naïve friend, even the copper from the street light wiring has been taken.

Look at the pictures again. There are two pictures of the auditorium of an elementary school, one from 2008, one from 2009. By 2009 the auditorium has been stripped bare.

Someone needs to find vast quantities of crude oil below Detroit! :dance:
Or shale, for that matter. In this area, in the Eagle Ford shale and gas play in southern central Texas, fast food joints are *starting* at $10 per hour. Our one restaurant in town, the one that's not open full-time and is always packed at lunchtime (both during the week with oilfield workers and on Sundays with the church crowd), they had to announce that they are cutting back on their hours of operations starting next month. Not because business isn't good enough to support it -- but because they can't get enough people to work those hours.

Or shale, for that matter. In this area, in the Eagle Ford shale and gas play in southern central Texas, fast food joints are *starting* at $10 per hour. Our one restaurant in town, the one that's not open full-time and is always packed at lunchtime (both during the week with oilfield workers and on Sundays with the church crowd), they had to announce that they are cutting back on their hours of operations starting next month. Not because business isn't good enough to support it -- but because they can't get enough people to work those hours.

I work in the Eagle Ford from time to time, depending on the client. It's crazy what's going on. Hotels room in a Holiday Inn in Alice average $300/night, if you can get one.

Unfortunately, there are no shale plays in the Detroit area. Oil in Michigan has been fond in the northern part of the state, but not in any great quantity.

You have to go to the Utica play in northern Ohio to find stuff like that!

I work in the Eagle Ford from time to time, depending on the client. It's crazy what's going on. Hotels room in a Holiday Inn in Alice average $300/night, if you can get one.

Yup, and RV parks are sprouting up all over the place here for temporary housing.

The woman who is the postmaster in my little town's post office told me not long ago that she and her husband owned a restaurant in a town a few minutes from here until recently -- she had to close because she couldn't keep it staffed or get enough people hired to keep it going.

To an area like Detroit this must seem like a fantastic problem to have -- pretty much anyone that wants to work *can* work -- but it has its own set of problems and challenges as well. A bankrupt local economy, however, is not really one of them.

If you think those pictures are hard to look at, try driving around the immediate areas outside of downtown and see the scores of abandoned housed and dilapidated neighborhoods.
My curiosity stirred up by an earlier thread on Detroit and having too much free time on hand, I had researched videos on youtube and found the following video. Your comment motivated me to link it here.

It was made by a layman, not a reporter, and his recorded comments may not be accurate, but the images of the area he drove through were worthwhile for me to see the situation, without being there myself.

Detroit's Ghetto: The worst Ghetto in the USA! Facts and a tour of Dying Detroit - YouTube

My naïve friend, even the copper from the street light wiring has been taken.

Also on youtube, there was a news segment where the occupants of an apartment complex that caught on fire complained about looters breaking in to steal appliances, while the owners were evacuating and waiting for firefighters to arrive.

Back
Top Bottom