Diamonds are a jeweler's best friend

astromeria said:
Neither DH nor I feel warm & fuzzy about getting or giving gifts--it just doesn't do it for us. ...We are turned on by acts of service and physical intimacy rather than gifts--but that's us, not everyone feels loved by the same things.

Neat thoughts. Sounds like you found the right formula.

When I was 20 I surprised my 17-year old sister by buying her the tiniest diamond earrings for her birthday. We walked into a diamond store and she picked out the smallest diamonds they had to offer. It costed me about 200 dollars and to me that was a fortune. But to watch my even-then-very-pragmatic sister, who I love very much, jump up and down in that busy shopping mall and then bear-hug me made me feel positively giddy myself. That was 9 years ago and she still treasures those diamonds, although she can easily afford much nicer ones on her own today.

Rich, I think you're going to knock the socks off your wife this Saturday.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
So, how do you handle those times when the urge hits one of you to just outright give something meaningful but expensive to the other? Say, for example, you are just feeling appreciative for the emotional and spiritual presence of the other and wish to express it in some symbolic manner in addition to whispering sweet words?
Well - first of all we are both rather literal people, so symbolism does not play a large part in our lives.

Expressing appreciation seems to happen more in spending time together and doing fun things together or doing something nice for each other. I often plan special days for the two of us - doing things we enjoy. I guess I've become the vacation/daytrip planner of the family and I try to arrange things so he has opportunities to do some of the things he really enjoys. John fixes things for me or takes care of things for me. He has a strong caregiver streak so he uses that to express his appreciation. We are also very verbal in our expressions of appreciation and gratitude for each other.

I guess either of us might say - "Why don't you get yourself that big toy X you've been thinking about?". I guess giving each other tacit permission to spend money on ourselves is what we do instead of giving each other expensive gifts.

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
Well - first of all we are both rather literal people, so symbolism does not play a large part in our lives.

Expressing appreciation seems to happen more in spending time together and doing fun things together or doing something nice for each other. I often plan special days for the two of us - doing things we enjoy. I guess I've become the vacation/daytrip planner of the family and I try to arrange things so he has opportunities to do some of the things he really enjoys. John fixes things for me or takes care of things for me. He has a strong caregiver streak so he uses that to express his appreciation. We are also very verbal in our expressions of appreciation and gratitude for each other.

Similar to Astro's comments. Now that you mention it, I guess we do pretty much the same thing. Which explains in part why I am so naive about this diamond thing -- we just don't exchange valuable objects very much, but have periodically supported each others' slightly guilty purchases.

Wonder if this is a FIRE thing, that is the lack of strong attraction to baubles.

Here's an interesting and applicable article:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2006-07-31-women-tech_x.htm
Study: Women like tech toys more than shoes

By Edward C. Baig, USA TODAY

"NEW YORK — Is a plasma TV a girl's new best friend?
An Oxygen Network survey released Tuesday found that more than three out of four women said they'd choose the TV over a diamond solitaire necklace. Women preferred a top-of-the-line cellphone to designer shoes by a similar margin. And a little white iPod narrowly trumped a little black dress.
. . ." :)

Rich, You know your wife. She'll be thrilled with the diamond (otherwise you wouldn't make this gesture). Don't let us rain on your parade.

Audrey

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Now you tell me! :)
Three out of four women may prefer a plasma TV to a diamond, but I'm sure your wife is the fourth. :) :D :D

Back
Top Bottom