Diamonds are a jeweler's best friend

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
Oy.

Just bought a diamond ring for my DW -- combined b'day and 35th anniversary. I guess you don't LBYM every week ::).

While the giving will be awesome, exposing myself to this world of seemingly arbitrary value based on a color, "characteristics" and other grades was quite an eye-opener. Boy did I feel vulnerable. Hope that using a reputable, large local diamonds-only jeweler will be of some protection. Is it mandatory to get an independent appraisal routinely? These are the guy that everyone else seems to use as appraisers, so it seemed kind of redundant.

Plan to give it to her next Saturday. I'll let y'all know how my "investment" goes. We have an awesome, world-class marriage, and I think she'll get the message.

Coming from a (strange?) woman's perspective:

I never "got" the value of diamonds at all. It's just a rock! A geological marvel - yes - tremendous forces and unusual circumstances create such a rock. But in everyday life, like Valentine's Day, it seems to be some great marketing conspiracy of a certain industry. Never wanted to own a diamond ring - afraid I would lose the stone. Happy with a simple gold wedding band - just like DH's.

I eventually trained DH not to bother - he bought me a few nice pieces of top notch gold jewelry in the early days, but other than wearing it a few times, it just wasn't that important to me. The expensive stuff lives in the bank safety deposit box now.

I think I'm different..... I guess most women love owning and wearing expensive jewelry?

I'm sure your wife will appreciate the declaration and appreciation represented by that ring Rich.

Audrey

audreyh1 said:

I never "got" the value of diamonds at all.  It's just a rock! A geological marvel - yes - tremendous forces and unusual circumstances create such a rock.  But in everyday life, like Valentine's Day, it seems to be some great marketing conspiracy of a certain industry. Never wanted to own a diamond ring - afraid I would lose the stone.  Happy with a simple gold wedding band - just like DH's.

I eventually trained DH not to bother - he bought me a few nice pieces of top notch gold jewelry in the early days, but other than wearing it a few times, it just wasn't that important to me.  The expensive stuff lives in the bank safety deposit box now.

I think I'm different.....  I guess most women love owning and wearing expensive jewelry?

I'm sure your wife will appreciate the declaration and appreciation represented by that ring Rich.

Audrey
This sounds a lot like my DW. She would shoot me if I spent money on a diamond for her -- right after she let me know that it's her money too and inquired about the return policy where I bought it. I know this for a fact because I made the mistake of buying her nice jewelery early in out marriage. We have the money to afford these minor extravagances, but she just doesn't see value in owning and wearing expensive jewelery.

She gets insanely excited when I make her a card and gift wrap an insignificant frivilous item that I remember she looked at somewhere. But I've learned not to spend too much money on something for anniversaries or birthdays.

::)

audreyh1 said:
I never "got" the value of diamonds at all. It's just a rock!

Can I put you in touch with my DW? :D

Really, though, I think I do understand that it's a token, a symbol; it's cost ensures that it's not taken lightly (much to the delight of deBeers and company who own the industry like the Mafia, I've heard). Because she knows that at one level I feel exactly the way you do, I hope that makes it all the more special.

Not sure if any of that makes sense. But I put it in the same category as "no one on their death bed ever looked back and wished they'd spent more time at thei office." In this case, it's "no one on their death bed ever looked back and wished they had given less to their loved ones."

I have to agree with Audrey. I've never been one to long for expensive jewelry. Of course, being a jeans and T-shirt type of gal expensive jewelry wouldn't look so hot.

That being said I've finally decided to get a three diamond ring. I won't call it an anniversary ring because I want it to represent something else....my husband of 32 yrs and my two sons.

I guess I finally decided to do something just for me. And it's so unlike me that I'm thinking this just might be lots of fun. And, yes, I'm making DH come along to write out the check. (something he hasn't done in years!!)

Spouse has tactfully informed me that she has enough jewelry for now but she won't hesitate to replenish her stock if she feels she's running low.

Good thing too-- two months of my salary is the same as two years' worth.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Not sure if any of that makes sense. But I put it in the same category as "no one on their death bed ever looked back and wished they'd spent more time at thei office." In this case, it's "no one on their death bed ever looked back and wished they had given less to their loved ones."

Rich, you know in your heart what DW appreciates, and if it reinforces and is symbolic of what you both have in your relationship, go for it. Celebrate to your heart's content.

Its just a cool thing to do something nice for your spouse. Congrats on your 35th Rich.

Rich, as a gut check, price what you are thinking about at bluenile.com That way you have some clue of you are being taken to the cleaners (more than usual, anyway).

brewer12345 said:
Rich, as a gut check, price what you are thinking about at bluenile.com That way you have some clue of you are being taken to the cleaners (more than usual, anyway).
Great idea -- thanks.

I like jewelry. I especially like colored stones. Depending on the hue and tone of a woman's skin, certain stones look better than others. My wife looks astonishing wearing a good deep blue sapphire.

OTOH, many blonds look wonderful wearing rubies.

I wish I didn't have to LBYM. This is one area where I would enjoy being very generous.

I sometimes wear a diamond pinky ring that was my Dad's, and before him, the stone was his great-grandmother's. I don't wear it often; my Dad was more of a sport than I am by quite a bit!

Ha

My wife used to work at / as a jeweler.  It's funny to watch her closely when women show her their new engagement rings.  She also chooses her words carefully when complimenting them.  I wouldn't dare to buy her a ring (without her choosing it first). 

riskaverse said:
My wife used to work at / as a jeweler. It's funny to watch her closely when women show her their new engagement rings. She also chooses her words carefully when complimenting them. I wouldn't dare to buy her a ring (without her choosing it first).

Something is fishy here.

Name: riskaverse
Position: Recycles dryer sheets
Date Registered: October 21, 2002, 09:07:47 AM
Last Active: Today at 03:14:30 PM

Local Time: August 06, 2006, 03:19:46 PM
Language:

I know, I saw it was changed a couple of days ago, and I changed it back to male, but it reverted. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something.

Nords said:
Spouse has tactfully informed me that she has enough jewelry for now but she won't hesitate to replenish her stock if she feels she's running low.

Good thing too-- two months of my salary is the same as two years' worth.
My wife has declared the same thing. We have some fabulous diamond rings and tennis bracelets and earrrings. But she decided that now we are retired, continuing to build the jewelbox makes no sense.

She gets her jollies by stopping into the $15 store at the airport and buying a bauble that appeals to her if she sees one.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Can I put you in touch with my DW? :D

Really, though, I think I do understand that it's a token, a symbol; it's cost ensures that it's not taken lightly (much to the delight of deBeers and company who own the industry like the Mafia, I've heard). Because she knows that at one level I feel exactly the way you do, I hope that makes it all the more special.

As a true of measure of appreciation, you can tell your wife that you'll give her any one of your organs (no, not that one). Not only that, you'll perform the surgery yourself. :)

Rich_in_Tampa said:
I put it in the same category as "no one on their death bed ever looked back and wished they'd spent more time at thei office." In this case, it's "no one on their death bed ever looked back and wished they had given less to their loved ones."
That's an interesting point of view. Since our money is held in joint tenancy, and both of us were breadwinners at one time, we don't really "give" each other expensive things and stuff. Neither of us is really into birthdays, anniversaries, or those kind of rituals.

But we sometimes spend a ton on big toys for both of us to enjoy! That's really fun!

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
That's an interesting point of view. Since our money is held in joint tenancy, and both of us were breadwinners at one time, we don't really "give" each other expensive things and stuff. Neither of us is really into birthdays, anniversaries, or those kind of rituals.

Hmm. I see where you are coming from.

So, how do you handle those times when the urge hits one of you to just outright give something meaningful but expensive to the other? Say, for example, you are just feeling appreciative for the emotional and spiritual presence of the other and wish to express it in some symbolic manner in addition to whispering sweet words?

I am sure that every successful and durable couple has this figured out, but just curious about what your "currency" is in this regard (after all, not all gestures are meant to be exactly mutual).

audreyh1 said:
That's an interesting point of view.  Since our money is held in joint tenancy, and both of us were breadwinners at one time, we don't really "give" each other expensive things and stuff.  Neither of us is really into birthdays, anniversaries, or those kind of rituals. 

But we sometimes spend a ton on big toys for both of us to enjoy!  That's really fun!

Audrey
That's pretty consistent with us. DW and I were both electrical engineers and both of us contributed significantly to our savings. We do celebrate birthdays and our anniversary. We just celebrate by making a special shopping trip and getting all the ingredients for a great meal at home (which we prepare together). Or we plan a trip and bring a special bottle of wine. We do occasionally buy an expensive toy together. Often it is unique camping gear or new GPS software, etc.

But if diamond jewelery made my DW happy, I would gladly spend our money on it for her. If giving her a diamond necklace communicated to her how much she means to me, I would not hesitate to research and buy her diamonds. :)

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Hmm. I see where you are coming from.

So, how do you handle those times when the urge hits one of you to just outright give something meaningful but expensive to the other? Say, for example, you are just feeling appreciative for the emotional and spiritual presence of the other and wish to express it in some symbolic manner in addition to whispering sweet words?

I am sure that every successful and durable couple has this figured out, but just curious about what your "currency" is in this regard (after all, not all gestures are meant to be exactly mutual).
My DW loves to gain new experience and travel. She also loves new electronic toys and widgets. I am always looking for a new destination to explore with her. She likes to do her own research of new places, but I will often suggest we plan a trip to somewhere new and then provide her with the framework research of how to get there, where to stay, etc. She is very happy when we are planning a trip together.

I do shop for physical gifts for her for birthdays and anniversaries, but she is much more excited about a $15 high-tech, white LED flashlite for reading in the tent than she would be with a diamond necklace. She has told me explicitly not to spend our money on jewelery. We've been together for over 30 years. She's not difficult to shop for. :) :D

Neither DH nor I feel warm & fuzzy about getting or giving gifts--it just doesn't do it for us. He gave me a diamond pendant once--it's very pretty and I wear it occasionally, but it doesn't make me feel loved or special or anything (perhaps I'm not good at symbolism!). When we buy a new car together and drive off in it, that's fun. When we're heading off on a trip together, that's fun. But those aren't exactly gifts.

We buy occasional expensive things after discussing it, and depending on whose expertise it falls under, one of does the research. For travel--almost always my idea--I do everything except pay the bills (his job!) and purchase online tix (I find it irritating). When I feel lovey-dovey, I give him a kiss, or initiate sex, or suggest an outing I know he'd like, announce a dinner party and invite his friends, suggest he have an evening with the guys or see a guy movie, that sort of thing. We are turned on by acts of service and physical intimacy rather than gifts--but that's us, not everyone feels loved by the same things.

Back
Top Bottom