Difference between a Boomer and Millenial

My son does the exact same thing, with the exception he always calls me back. He will only text if he sees I have called and won’t be able to call back for awhile....he’ll fire off a quick text telling me he’ll call me later. NEVER listens to my voicemail.

It used to annoy me until I realized that it really doesn’t matter. He always calls me as soon as he can. Yes, I have to repeat my “message” but it beats the alternative of him ignoring me.

Now if he always texted me back and asked me what I wanted, THEN I would get really annoyed as I wouldn’t want to type it all out. Instead, I’d be typing “Listen to the message, son!” [emoji34]

This one hits home, as it is what usually happens (and just did before i made this post). But, sometimes the call back is delayed. No problem if there is no emergency.

I guess I just need to accept, in an emergency, text, don't call.

Texting is OK for short messages such as 'See you at 10' or 'I got the pizza'. But the young people like to have marathon conversations via text. I text them saying 'Hey, how about we discuss this by phone??'

I'm good with texting. Just get used to it. It's the new world

Texting is for 14 year old girls.... use e-mail.....

Texting requires a Phone Signal connection and if you travel, your phone plan may not always be available.....And texting requires that you be on a Single Device (Your Phone) -- If you don't have your phone or lose it, you don't get the message.

OTOH --- Email can be picked up by any device, any where in the world, and WiFi is pretty much everywhere now....

Last edited:
My phone shows me a text of the voicemail. I don't think I've actually listened to one in months. I just glance at the transcript of it and decide if I need to call back, text back, or if it was just informational.

Our son is 16 and rarely texts any more. We are probably the only ones he texts with, all else is done on Snapchat or Instagram. Because of that, he doesn't always see his texts, which drives me nuts. Daughter is 14 and only texts because she doesn't have snapchat. Oh, I guess she uses Instagram too.

One time I left my son (a Millenial) a voice mail and then when we called me he had no idea why I called. I asked him if he listened to my message. He said no. Then he said, "Why don't you just text like a normal person?"

Anyway -- I mostly do text him for the reasons other have mentioned. It is less intrusive and he can read it when it is convenient for him. I don't have to worry about whether he is at work or with someone, etc.

He does very long texts and types using both thumbs and is very rapid. I text usually using one finger which drives him nuts. I looked it up and this is considered the sign of an old person...

I actually am a good typist so I like email. He uses email only when absolutely required.

I did just buy a Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad and it also works as a keyboard for my iPhone. I sent some longer texts to someone today using the keyboard and that was really nice. Of course, I don't have that when I am out and about.

If he calls me he will leave a voice mail though (usually just to call him but occasionally more -- of course, he knows that I listen to voice mails). DD drives me nuts as she calls and never leaves a voice mail. I generally don't return the call unless there is a voice mail or a text or a FB message (what she uses more often than texting). A lot of her calls or not anything urgent just wanting to chat when she is bored. If it is important she will text or send a FB message or rarely will leave a message.

Anyway -- with others who have smart phones I usually will text them instead of calling them for personal calls (business calls I will usually call) because I think it is less obtrusive.

I’m no millennial (but I still know how to spell it :LOL:), but I love texts over voice mail and long emails. Worst voice mailers leave a long rambling message with the phone number (often not the same as the number that shows up in the display) garbled at the very end, so you have to keep listening to the entire message over and over to try to decipher the phone number to call back.

As an older boomer I remember one house, one phone number, no answering machine, and somehow everyone being able to get in touch with everyone else.

My wife’s best friend, who lives next door, mails letters with notes in them. DW usually gets them on the 2nd day and is thrilled to open and read them. No Wifi or Bluetooth (or device for that matter) required. ;)

SnailMail...for when you really care. :flowers:

Everyone who calls us gets the answering machine. If you leave a message I'll call back.

My annoyance is the opposite, an old Dad who phones, and hangs up when he gets the answering machine, tells me it's because nobody is home. No matter how often I tell him leave a message, he just hangs up.

Maybe we should start a thing, when someone text's you, just text back, "phone me". :D

My wife’s best friend, who lives next door, mails letters with notes in them. DW usually gets them on the 2nd day and is thrilled to open and read them. No Wifi or Bluetooth (or device for that matter) required. ;)

SnailMail...for when you really care. :flowers:

There is something special about getting a letter.

Unfortunately for us, our DUMB mail person would probably deliver it to the wrong house.:mad:

After months of frustration and inconsistency I gave up on Mighty Text and switched to Yappy. Only used it for a couple of weeks but so far, so good.
I send texts using my Chromebook using Hangouts. I can send and receive texts on any device...my Android phone, Chromebook or any computer when I am logged in using my Google account.

I have never enjoyed talking on the phone. I just can't think of things to say on the phone and I can't think fast enough to respond to questions or comments when talking (on the phone or in person). Not to mention I have a quiet voice and hearing "huh" and "what did you say" gets old in a hurry.

I much prefer email since I have more time to think about what I'm going to say and can go back and proof read to make sure I didn't say something stupid. I also tend to write paragraphs to answer one sentence questions, so email gives me plenty of room to write.

Texting is OK but the space is limited and it takes too long to type anything out. It seems nobody wants to text anything more than one or two word responses to any question I ask.

I actually used to enjoy writing letters to people. You know, on actual paper (though I prefer typing to handwriting). Unfortunately, no one takes the time to read or write anymore. The last few times I wrote a letter they called me by phone to talk about what I wrote. Kind of defeated the purpose of writing a letter.

So, I come to forums like this where I can satisfy my need to babble on endlessly. :)

Texting is OK for short messages such as 'See you at 10' or 'I got the pizza'. But the young people like to have marathon conversations via text. I text them saying 'Hey, how about we discuss this by phone??'

Exactly. I have nothing against text messages and find them practical most of the time (it took a while, but I have come to see the benefits of texting). But I know 2 people who like to carry marathon conversations via text. When I look at the content of a 1-hour texting session, I can’t help but think that the same information could have been delivered by phone 4 or 5 times faster and that I wasted my time. When I receive a text from them nowadays, I feel more dread than joy. Besides, a text messaging session is so much less engaging than a phone call to me.

Finally, when I am driving, you can text me all you want, I ain’t responding. But I will answer a phone call.

I'm a Boomer, and I love texting. We have an ongoing multi-person text involving me, my two siblings, my two kids, my brother's son, and my sister's daughter. Currently these folks are in Upstate NY, near NYC, Denver, Steamboat Springs, Florida, and California. We would never communicate otherwise. We are in contact nearly every day, multiple times/day. It's wonderful.
As far as voicemail, if there is no message, there will be no reply, unless it's a family member, but they never do that. They'd just text.
I admit, I am guilty of not listening to DW's VMs, and I'll just call her back. But often it's before her VM has even come through.

I also love FaceTime (which I guess is Apple's version of Skype?). My grandkids are far away, and it is such a treat to get a few minutes (that's about their attention limit) to see and speak with them, and catch up with my kids.

I complain sometimes about all of this connectivity, but my life is enriched by connecting to my kids and grandkids.

There are several reasons that make the phone more difficult. Both you and the other party need to be available at the same time. A text/email can be answered later, maybe just a minute or two later, and you don't have to jump and stop what you are doing.

Tex/email less likely to be misunderstood. Text/email can be done silently. Text/email provides a record.

When you get into a lot of back/forth, a phone call can cut through that better sometimes. Pick the right tool for the job.
-ERD50

Well said.

We haven't had a landline in over 10 years, our children (in their late 30's) have never had a landline. My sister doesn't have a landline, my brother is in a timezone 10 hours ahead, our daughter 8 hours behind, our son works rotating shifts. My wife has a sister and brother with a landline as well a mobile number, her other sister does not have a landline and works out of town 5 days a week.

Consequently we much prefer email and text for communicating as we can then be pretty sure the message gets through. When we want to talk we'll usually send a text first to be sure we aren't interrupting something.

Appointment reminders that come in nearly always come in as texts these days and again this is something I prefer to having the cell phone ring at difficult times and then having to remember what is said as I am rarely in a place with a pen and paper handy.

We haven't had a landline in over 10 years, our children (in their late 30's) have never had a landline. My sister doesn't have a landline, my brother is in a timezone 10 hours ahead, our daughter 8 hours behind, our son works rotating shifts. My wife has a sister and brother with a landline as well a mobile number, her other sister does not have a landline and works out of town 5 days a week.

Consequently we much prefer email and text for communicating as we can then be pretty sure the message gets through. When we want to talk we'll usually send a text first to be sure we aren't interrupting something.

Appointment reminders that come in nearly always come in as texts these days and again this is something I prefer to having the cell phone ring at difficult times and then having to remember what is said as I am rarely in a place with a pen and paper handy.

Yes, I much prefer to send a text when I want to communicate something that is not urgent. I don't wish to interrupt someone with a telephone ring, and as a recipient, I would much rather deal with a text. Especially if I'm cooking and my hands are grimy with raw chicken or something.

That link didn’t work properly for me (no biggie), but I’m guessing it’s related to an impending phaseout of Google+.

I’ve got a Google+ account but never really knew what it was or its features. Google’s attempt at social media/networking? Mainly I hope Google+ accounts get “downgraded” to basic status.

Texting is for 14 year old girls.... use e-mail.....

Texting requires a Phone Signal connection and if you travel, your phone plan may not always be available.....And texting requires that you be on a Single Device (Your Phone) -- If you don't have your phone or lose it, you don't get the message.

OTOH --- Email can be picked up by any device, any where in the world, and WiFi is pretty much everywhere now....

It's not like I don't speak with my sons live on the phone. Men like specific information. They don't like jabbering on the phone. Is there is a significant event or issue we talk immediately. However we check in frequently and have texts back and forth.

I also FaceTime my son and his baby girl. I send email when we're on trips (like now) to keep them up to speed on what our plans are.

My wife on the other hand is on the phone almost daily with her daughters and can be ten to thirty minutes a pop. Talk about Mars and Venus. Men are so different and that certainly needs to be recognized.

That link didn’t work properly for me (no biggie), but I’m guessing it’s related to an impending phaseout of Google+.

I’ve got a Google+ account but never really knew what it was or its features. Google’s attempt at social media/networking? Mainly I hope Google+ accounts get “downgraded” to basic status.

The link opened for me, the first paragraph reads
The classic version of Google Hangouts is on the way out, and the company will migrate consumers to a reworked version of the chat service next year.

I do text with two thumbs but don’t text often.

When the text is longish I switch to dictation.

The link opened for me, the first paragraph reads

Ah! Well, there you go, thanks for posting the clarification. I’ve never used Hangouts and don’t use much social networking (present company excepted).

When I text I stick to iMessage which seems good although can have difficulties working with Android but only in a corner case: iPod Touch <-> Android.

Amending my earlier post in this thread, maybe the future will see the following:

“It’s your mother. Text me.”

It's not like I don't speak with my sons live on the phone. Men like specific information. They don't like jabbering on the phone. Is there is a significant event or issue we talk immediately. However we check in frequently and have texts back and forth.

I also FaceTime my son and his baby girl. I send email when we're on trips (like now) to keep them up to speed on what our plans are.

My wife on the other hand is on the phone almost daily with her daughters and can be ten to thirty minutes a pop. Talk about Mars and Venus. Men are so different and that certainly needs to be recognized.

Just realize that most of those differences are between you and your wife as individuals, and not necessarily between other individuals as couples. Enough of us wives don’t care for phone calls that also needs to be recognized.

I notice communications between me and different family members really depends on each individual and I’ve learned to adjust to each one as to what works best for them. I don’t spend a lot of time communicating anyway.

Im not much of a talker. I text at least 95% of my “conversations”. Quick and to the point. Most of my texts are to groups of friends or relatives. So texting is far more convenient for me - communicating with several people at once. I only talk on the phone to MIL and an older friend, neither know how to text.

Back
Top Bottom