Disaster prep Poll

Have you prepped for a natural disaster?

• Yes, we're ready just in case

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • No, we haven't done anything special

Votes: 45 46.9%

• Total voters
Yep...live in EQ country and can survive much longer than the recommended 3 days. As if in 3 days all will be back to normal :LOL:.

4 months of food/water and two years worth of scotch and cigars. One must have their priorities in order.

Enough food and water for a couple of weeks.
Also along with like minded neighbors enough protection from civil unrest which is more of a concern than any natural disaster.
Also have a get home bag in the car, don't feel the need for a bug out bag.

Taking my best bottles of bourbon is part of on my evacuation list, if I'm not in a minute-by-minute life threatening situation.

No. Lots of lakes with water and we have camping supplies and matches.

We normally have enough canned and dry goods to last several weeks when you include our frozen goods. If power goes out, it's usually restored in less than a hour. If it can't be restored, we'd cook any proteins so they last a little longer and eat what won't last.

Roughly the same, plus a lot of camping equipment/supplies, so the only real reason for us to leave would be actual damage to the home itself, which would probably mean a tornado (!)

The urbanized area surrounding New York City has over 18 million people in about 6000 square miles. Evacuation in the face of any disaster is simply a pipe dream, so we plan to ride it out at home. We store food and water sufficient to make it through at least a month without resupply or electricity. There have been two times in the past 6 years when the power was out for over a week in large portions of CT.

have survivor kit in each car, and food/fuel, other supplies at home.

30K rounds of ammo. What else do you need?

30K rounds of ammo. What else do you need?

You can't eat or drink ammo. You can't heat or cool with it either. Unless you're going to commit armed robbery on your neighbors, how does that alone help you survive a blizzard, ice storm, earthquake or hurricane? Especially with no gun. [emoji12]

You can't eat or drink ammo. You can't heat or cool with it either. Unless you're going to commit armed robbery on your neighbors, how does that alone help you survive a blizzard, ice storm, earthquake or hurricane? Especially with no gun. [emoji12]
Easy ammo(along with the firearms) makes you very popular with folks who need it. Similar to a large alcohol stash.

I voted no, although that's not entirely true. After many years in the USAF both active duty and reserves, I certainly have lots of stuff, headlamps, shortwave radio, first aid supplies, etc. in a location I can easily get to. I don't have a "bug out" bag. I also don't have a supply of water, so I might have to ride it out on Diet Pepsi, Orange Fanta and cans of beans and lentil soup. I keep a huge supply of cat food and litter on hand so they would be set for months. But they don't drink Fanta.

We are certainly in an earthquake area and I buy both earthquake and flood insurance. If the big one hit, who knows if any roads would be passable? The main thing that bothers me is that I only have 4 cat carriers, but I have 7 cats, so I really need to have more on hand in case we need to evacuate.

I voted no, but our motorhome is parked about a mile away; I always keep gas and water tanks at least half full so we could use it as emergency housing or for evacuation.

Taking my best bottles of bourbon is part of on my evacuation list, if I'm not in a minute-by-minute life threatening situation.

When we moved certain items upstairs a few days ago as part of our preparations for Harvey, my Bourbon collection was the first thing I moved. 🥃🥃🥃

Nothing I can do about the Colonial Pipeline being shut down. The Southeast is now going to suffer the 3rd shutdown in a year.

We always have too much food on hand. With two fridges full and an overflowing pantry, I have been begging my wife to buy less food.

Water is another thing. Hard to stock water, but I have a 25,000-gallon swimming pool in the back. It may have too much mineral and salt in it due to evaporation. I lose about 1/3" of water each day, hence the salt and mineral build-up. Drinking that water is still better than dying of thirst, I guess.

+100!

Back
Top Bottom