Disposing of a Satellite TV Dish

pjm-7

Recycles dryer sheets
What can I do with a Satellite TV dish that is on my house. I have owned my house for a few years and have this b*tt ugly TV dish on the side of my house. I have never used the thing (only have an antennae if I need to see something on TV). I called DISH and they will not remove the dish because of the "potential liability" of damaging my house. Once I get the thing off of the house should I just put it on the curb with a "free" sign on it and hope that someone hauls it away. Has anyone disposed of one of these things before?

What can I do with a Satellite TV dish that is on my house. I have owned my house for a few years and have this b*tt ugly TV dish on the side of my house. I have never used the thing (only have an antennae if I need to see something on TV). I called DISH and they will not remove the dish because of the "potential liability" of damaging my house. Once I get the thing off of the house should I just put it on the curb with a "free" sign on it and hope that someone hauls it away. Has anyone disposed of one of these things before?

I just threw mine in the garbage after I took it off of my house. The provider does not reuse them, so just toss it!

Mike

. Once I get the thing off of the house should I just put it on the curb with a "free" sign on it and hope that someone hauls it away. Has anyone disposed of one of these things before?

That is what I've seen people do. Lots of folks save up scrap and sell for salvage.

🐑

Once I get the thing off of the house should I just put it on the curb with a "free" sign on it and hope that someone hauls it away.
That sounds like a good approach (put any inside-the-house hardware out with it, and the cable, too, to sweeten the deal), if you live in a place where there are enough "scrappers" and "gleaners", etc to make it likely someone will see it and take it. If "Freecycle" is up and running where you are, maybe post a note there. I don't think I'd let the recipient remove it from the house--too much chance of damage to the house or a fall/liability issue.

Our community has a storage unit at our recycling center, just for electronics. I've seen several in there. We heard they sold the contents as scrap to fund for the recycling center staffing.

That said, we'd probably just put at the end of our driveway. We live in a very low traffic street, but there's a pick-up truck that cruises around on trash day, picking up stuff he can sell. I'm guessing this would make the cut for him.

Goodwill industries takes electronic recycling, so call and see if they will take it. Or since its mostly metal find a scrap metal dealer and leave it there.

we have a web site in the twin cities for free stuff. It is amazing what people will take for free.

should I just put it on the curb with a "free" sign on it and hope that someone hauls it away.
When I lived in a big city, I would set things like this out by the curb the day before normal trash pickup. It was usually gone before the trash was picked up.

Anything made of metal has some value. Just take it to a local metal scrapping place. Worst case, they give you a buck or so and it stays out of the land fill.

1976f0a6-faf3-11de-bf0e-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg

I switched from Directv to FIOS back in 2011, but had left the big dish up on the roof. My roof is fairly flat, so the dish wasn't all that noticeable. As for being an eyesore...well, some people would probably make the argument that my entire house is an eyesore! :p

Anyway, about two years ago, it started leaking in the room underneath that dish. So, I got up on the roof and took the dish down. Dropped it off the side, and it landed in a big bush. I just left it there and forgot about it! I coated all of the bolts with roofing tar and then bolted them back in, and then spread some more tar over the tops. Then I sprinkled on some of those flakes that wash off the shingles over time and build up in the rain gutter, while the tar was still sticky.

As for the dish itself, back in October we got a big dumpster to do a cleanout at my grandmother's house, and they said I could throw some of my old junk on, too. So I used that as an excuse to get rid of the dish. Guess I could have put it out to the curb with a sign that said "free" on it, and hope it disappeared. I have an old barbeque grille I need gone...thinking about trying that route for it.

Was a few years back, but after a couple of years of being subscribed to satellite internet DSL became available in my neck of the woods. Put the old dish and bits of electronic hardware up for sale on an internet reseller and it sold pretty darn quick. Those may have been a bit more of a novelty then compared to today's SatTV, but who knows?

+1 put it by the curb. They make real good reflectors for long range WiFi experimenters. I also used one for getting long range acces to cell phone towers from remote places.

Satellite TV repair man was out to fix a problem. He wanted the old dishes. He removed them and I was happy to get rid of them. I got the idea that he definitely had a use for them.

We canceled our satellite subscription a couple weeks ago. It's not easy for me to get up with the ladder and tools I have to remove it. But I have installed an outdoor antenna on the mast where the dish is mounted, so it still serves some usefulness!

We have a county recycling center about a mile from the house so we take most junk stuff there or if electronics to Goodwill. For some reason the electronics recycling center is at the other end of the county.

If you want it gone extra fast, put it on the curb with a "For Sale - $50" sign on it.

No matter what I put by the road, someone eventually takes it...broken lawn chairs, old CRT TVs, an old beaten up desk. It was all junk in my mind, but it was all taken.

Whenever I have a situation like this, I say 'Goodwill'--they've never refused anything I drop off, but I don't drop off junk either.

How about a bird bath?
img_1593085_0_4ec5c84c9ba294e4fefe86f42e19ccc3.jpg

The "eyes" of the dish make a dandy high tech pencil holder.:rolleyes:

img_1593085_1_561f68759eca371588372432946e693d.jpg

My mother, being Scottish, was never inclined to toss things unless they were really hopelessly broken. Some years back in her prior home, an ancient table fan finally gave up the ghost and she put it out with the trash. Before the trash pickup, she looked out and saw it was gone and wondered why anyone would have picked up the old fan as it really was kaput. Next trash pickup, the same old fan reappeared... this time with the neighbor's trash. ;)

Back
Top Bottom