Advice on Fireplaces please

MichealKnight

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have 2 gas fireplaces.

House has a basement, main level, and an upstairs - both fireplaces are on the main level in 2 different rooms.

In 11 years of living here, we've NEVER EVER used them.

I'm going to call a fireplace company out - and my goal is to see if either of these work, and to learn how to turn them on and to make sure it won't blow up the house in the process.

Any thoughts from anyone? And also anything to look out for when fireplace company comes out vis a vis things to make sure they do, and things - not to be talked in to? Thanks

They will probably clean them and check to make sure the chimneys are in good shape, along with the caps up top. I think that is about all they did for our wood burner. It did not need repair.

The main thing I’d want to know beyond just basic safety is whether or not it’s a sealed system - drawing combustion air from outside and expelling it outside. There were fireplaces that used to not even be vented. I really wouldn’t want one of those in my house.

Our house was a 1956, what year is yours?
More important, what kind of construction?
I think our was just bricks and mortar.

I'm really interested in what the fireplace company addresses with your inspection.

Some 17 years ago I added a set of ventless natural gas logs to my living room fireplace. The fireplace was designed as a wood burning fireplace, full masonry flue with damper. I keep the damper fully closed at all times. By my visual inspection, the masonry joints have badly deteriorated such I would never consider having a wood fire. I did add carbon monoxide detectors. The detectors only have a life of about ten years so they have been replaced.

I would expect the inspection would include the integrity of the gas lines, sufficient air flow to efficiently burn the gas, and if the gas logs require a flue, is it working properly. Be sure that they determine if the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (OGS) is working properly if ventless. Sometimes the pilot assembly needs replacing or cleaning. I have replaced the pilot assembly every couple of years. Usually because the pilot will not stay lite, or I don't have a pure blue flame pilot indicating efficient combustion.

Our house was a 1956, what year is yours?
More important, what kind of construction?
I think our was just bricks and mortar.

Ours was built 1992.

Vis a vis construction, it's all stucco on the exterior - don't know more than that. Thanks.

RE2BOYS thanks so much for that info....haven't had someone come out yet due to storms but soon I will, and I will address each of those points.

I'm not a chimney expert, but sure they built them different in 1956 vs 1992.
Hopefully they will be good to go with cleaning and maybe minor work.

Back
Top Bottom