DNA Testing and New Sibling?

I think there is an initial buzz when two related people meet through a DNA test, and confirmed connection. For at least one party, though, I suspect there is a lot of disappointment when this information is taken to relatives, especially the parent(s). Probably a lot of anger and loud discussions. This could cause to disconnect from further search. I think I've run into that.

I would like to take the test and have my dad's second family to take the test to settle a 50 year old who's your daddy question. I think they are my step siblings but their mother says she and my father got married 10years earlier then likely. He was not even in the country at the correct times. Plus the fact that he was still married to my Mom.
Wouldn't matter if they didn't quarrel over it at the funeral/memorial. Would have liked to keep in touch with the kids but I moved away and I do not know them at all.

I found a 1st cousin once removed through 23andme, but she was adopted at birth and doesn't know anything about her birth parents. The DNA says we clearly share a pair of grandparents, but I don't know which ones. She hasn't been able to get her birth records so it's a moot point. Pretty interesting, anyway.

Interesting stories everyone. My 2 siblings wanted nothing to do with her and had no contact. We texted everyday and had great conversations. All the parents involved are long dead. I was really shocked and hurt. Rob, I seem to be having a run of unfair luck lately.

I guess this is God's joke on us. Who knew we all had traceable serial numbers?

After giving her pictures of my dad and his family as well as helping her finish the family tree she said to never contact her again. Any future relatives can buzz off.

That is very cold.
I met a relative for the first time when I was about 26. There was zero emotional connection, how could there be with no common life experiences. Yet I never would think to shun them, that would be so rude.

Hey, if you want to be mean, look up some weird rare disease that runs in families, and is hard to diagnose, then tell her you have it, and wish her luck. ;)

Sunset, that is so funny! However, I cannot be that mean.

Through Ancestry I was contacted by 2 young ladies with the same last name as mine.
In going to the family trees, I found that they were the granddaughters of my first cousin.
My cousin's father was my Dad's brother.
One lives in NY, the other in Florida, and I am on the West Coast. Because of age differences and distance, I can see no reason to pursue it further.

Hey, if you want to be mean, look up some weird rare disease that runs in families, and is hard to diagnose, then tell her you have it, and wish her luck. ;)

Believe it or not, that actually happened to me.
A relative I was in touch with through 23andme contacted me asking about a rare (1 in 50,000) genetic disorder that some of her family had.

I had never heard of it, and I'm pretty sure it didn't (and doesn't) exist on my side of the family, but it certainly got my attention!

After giving her pictures of my dad and his family as well as helping her finish the family tree she said to never contact her again. Any future relatives can buzz off.
That's sad. Maybe it sparked some trauma in her that she couldn't face.

I'm so sorry Terry! You really did NOT need that, especially now.

When this thread was going I would have passed with nothing to say. (Little did I know.) I took a 23andMe test early in the year, mainly interested in the national origin part of it. What came back in that regard was not surprising, but the DNA matches were.

My sister was not my sister, but was half-sister. I also had a half-brother and another half-sister, plus a 1st cousin with the same surname as the new half-sister. There were a couple of known names on my Mom's side, but none on my Dad's. Within a week, I had a message from a 2nd cousin 1R saying that she had sperm donors in her family, and from the half-brother saying that I was the first half-sibling to show up and that he knew his paternity was from a fertility clinic (that happened to be within an hour's drive of where I grew up).

I replied that it didn't seem right to me, and I pretty much mentally shelved the whole thing as covid provided lots of distraction. From time to time, I would get an Email from 23 with a list of new matches (as more people took tests). In October, I sent out some more reply messages to the earlier contacts, and also asked my sister to send me a look at her Dad side of the family tree from 23. Her Dad side did not match him either, and also did not match mine. I pretty much accepted at this point that my Dad was not my bio-Dad.

I then got more replies from the DNA relatives. It turned out the 2nd cousin lived about an hour away from me, and we exchanged phone #'s. She was well informed about the donor and the family, except that the donor wanted to remain anonymous, and was disturbed that DNA testing made it a risk of being found. She shared some family info, trying not to to get too close to the donor. I was able though, to take what I learned and figure out who it was. I also heard back from the new 1st cousin and half-sister, and we have had a phone and a Zoom call. I've talked with the half-brother too. I expect that when covid is managed, we will get together at some point.

In November, I took an Ancestry test to see if there were different matches there, and mid-Dec. I found out that there were. So far though, none of them have replied to me. Some may be unaccepting, as I was at first, and some may be donor relatives and also want to stay private.

Both of my parents have passed, so I have no one to ask about this.

I took a dive into the ancestry of the new paternal line. In addition to filling out the information that I had "lost", I discovered that both of my Dad's were descended from the same person who came to New Jersey from Scotland in 1685. It rather helped to learn that.

When this thread was going I would have passed with nothing to say. (Little did I know.) I took a 23andMe test early in the year, mainly interested in the national origin part of it. What came back in that regard was not surprising, but the DNA matches were.

I bought a test, that I'm waiting for the new year to do and send in, avoiding the mail delivery crush.
It will be (I hope) informative and interesting to see what turns up. :popcorn:

I got notified of the new traffic in this thread because I had responded early on, but when I went backward I was stunned to see that it was about having my dad take the test but sending the results to me first in case there were any surprises.

There weren't, but about four months later, my dad said that with all of the genetic testing he decided it was time to tell me that my late mother had had a child before they were married, and put him up for adoption. Of all of the things in this world that I could have been told, that would have been at about number one million of things I would have expected to hear.

Dad actually knew her when this was happening and was one of the few people who knew about it, since this was in the early 1960s. And it changes a lot of how I see their early relationship, since he did not consider her "damaged goods," but she might have leapt to say yes when he asked because she had had to have a C-section and so wasn't going to be able to hide the truth from any future suitors.

My dad asked me not to tell my brother until he (Dad) is gone, and I am honoring. No DNA matches have come up that could be from that half sibling, so who knows if he is alive or every knew he was adopted or has any kids who might be looking for relatives.

But everytime Ancestry sends me an email about a new match, I clench my teeth a bit.

I'm not going to go looking, but if he finds us, of certainly tell him all about his birth mother.

It took me many weeks to get over the shock.

googily..why did you have to know about this and why in the heck did you need to hear about the C section? Damaged goods. what the heck.

Your Mom took that part of her life to her grave and FWIW it wasn't really your Dad's place to tell you about it. And then he asks you to keep it a secret from your brother!

Not cool, Dad...

googily..why did you have to know about this and why in the heck did you need to hear about the C section? Damaged goods. what the heck.

Your Mom took that part of her life to her grave and FWIW it wasn't really your Dad's place to tell you about it. And then he asks you to keep it a secret from your brother!

Not cool, Dad...

I already knew she had had c sections for both my brother and me, so that wasn't anything Dad told me.

He said that he decided to tell me himself because someone might show up someday as a relation and he wanted me to have heard about it from him rather than it being out of the blue. And I'm actually really glad he did.

And he didn't consider her damaged goods--he was sweet on her before she got pregnant. "Damaged goods" wasn't anything he said--it was my phrase, recognizing how many women in that era feared that's what they would be seen as.

Last edited:
In a situation similar to mivansfan, my late MIL, shortly before she died, told my late wife a secret she had been keeping for 60 years. Her sister had a child out of wedlock with her future husband, and put it up for adoption.
That meant my late wife's cousin had a full sister she never knew about. Apparently this was known to her father's family, but not to her mother's.
Her cousin was devastated, because she could never find her, as the doctor died, and the records were destroyed.
Now, with all the DNA matches it might be possible.

I already knew she had had c sections for both my brother and me, so that wasn't anything Dad told me.

He said that he decided to tell me himself because someone might show up someday as a relation and he wanted me to have heard about it from him rather than it being out of the blue. And I'm actually really glad he did.

And he didn't consider her damaged goods--he was sweet on her before she got pregnant. "Damaged goods" wasn't anything he said--it was my phrase, recognizing how many women in that era feared that's what they would be seen as.

Well you seem OK with it so that's all the matters. It was still out of the blue from him so I don't really see a difference there. Will you ever tell your brother that you knew this and kept it a secret from him. It would bother me if I was your brother and the two of you decided to keep a family secret behind me back.

In a situation similar to mivansfan, my late MIL, shortly before she died, told my late wife a secret she had been keeping for 60 years. Her sister had a child out of wedlock with her future husband, and put it up for adoption.
That meant my late wife's cousin had a full sister she never knew about. Apparently this was known to her father's family, but not to her mother's.
Her cousin was devastated, because she could never find her, as the doctor died, and the records were destroyed.
Now, with all the DNA matches it might be possible.

People are different but I would not have told this secret. All it did was cause your wife's cousin distress and anixety.

Well you seem OK with it so that's all the matters. It was still out of the blue from him so I don't really see a difference there. Will you ever tell your brother that you knew this and kept it a secret from him. It would bother me if I was your brother and the two of you decided to keep a family secret behind me back.

If he hadn't told me, I would have 1000% refused to believe anyone who came knocking, even with DNA, and told me that story. Since Dad was around while Mom was pregnant, I got to grill him to remember as much as possible. I would have been enraged that neither of them had told me if I had found out through someone else.

I go back and forth on whether to tell my brother. He had a very fraught relationship with Mom, and I think my elderly father doesn't want to see my brother's differences with Mom become even more acute. But, I don't know.

DW told me she is interested in doing research on her family as she had 7 siblings and there are gaps in family history. He sister has been chasing after this information but gave it up years ago. Which DNA service is best for family tracing and possible DNA connections (23 and me, Ancestry, others)?

Back
Top Bottom