Do you have a QUIET home/condo/apt?

Interesting thread and comments.

Ms. gamboolgal and I are planning on building with Concrete construction when we retire and build our retirement home. Hopefully lakefront or on a few acres in rural area.

While on the job 10 months per year, our housing in Africa is concrete construction and it is very quiet. That was what got us to start looking into concrete construction for our retirement home.

As others have said, double or triple pane windows make a big difference also.

And obviously being on large lot / land, lot's of tree's, and being more rural is to be considered.

There seems to be general consensus for concrete construction. Once on vacation I was walking around a new residential development outside of Munich with a German friend and we saw a home under construction. The walls were cinderblock. She said German construction standards require it. She went on to share that when she and her (also German) husband moved to the states some years ago, they were appalled at the shoddy construction and consequently noisy environs. I immediately wanted to relocate permanently to a new build German home. :)
We rented an apartment on a lake near Munich that was concrete and had nice windows in 2015/16. Nice for the first few months until a new set of neighbors moved upstairs. They weren’t overly loud people but you could hear everything even normal conversation.

I live in an end unit townhome...... The next two neighbors have been very quiet. My hearing sucks, though, so maybe I just don't hear it, ha ....ha. .

This was the situation with my Sister, she lived in a townhouse and always said how quiet it was.
We stayed over a week, and could hear the neighbors running up and down the stairs and in the kitchen.
Turned out, my Sister needed hearing aids, had them, but never wore them. :facepalm:

A month after I moved into my house, an amorous limpkin sat in a tree outside my house and shrieked all night every night for an entire week. The sound cut through the concrete block walls like a knife. With a pair of lungs like that, I’m sure that Mr. Limpkin was popular with the ladies. Fortunately, the Florida limpkin mating season only lasts a month or so.

Sometimes two or three sandhill cranes will sneak up to my home office window and let loose with their distinctive trumpeting cry, practically knocking me off the chair.

I don’t mind these kind of interruptions to the peace and quiet. I do object to endlessly barking dogs (and their inconsiderate owners), but fortunately there are none close by - knock on wood. A child-free and dog-free community could be really quiet. :)

We moved from a home on 4 acres with 100 acres of wilderness out our back door. We'd hear nature and owls--and people firing their guns all hours. And everyone had motorcycles and ATV's that made a lot of noise. The lake was 1/2 mile, and we'd hear Ski Nautiques and serious water skier boats half the year.

We moved to town on a street with 7,500-10,000 square foot homes. The neighbors are all self employed, and they work all the time. None have hobbies at home and none cut their own grass. And nobody knows each other. Other than a few pool parties, it's incredibly quiet here.

When we first moved into town one of our neighbors was letting their 2 dogs bark excessively. We have 4 that don’t do that. We made a point to get to know them and then would tell the dogs to be quiet when we were outside. They didn’t get offended and started making their dogs be quiet.

Back
Top Bottom