Do you have an amazing view - can I see?

From the deck.

attachment.php

Timely thread..we close this week on our retirement home with 250+ ft of frontage on a small, no-motor lake with amazing views from inside and outside the house. It's bigger than we wanted, needs to be updated (was built late 90s) and is a heck of a lot more expensive than I ever in my wildest dreams would have planned on spending..but the views are amazing and we're even adjacent to a nature preserve on one side..so, only one neighbor who's reasonably far away.

Moving from a sub with 450+ houses, one of which is about 25' from my property line. We LOVE our current house so it's tough to leave the house itself..but not so tough to leave the property where we're on top of other people, some of who are nice..and others who are not as nice.

Gonna be a big change..property of the new house is amazing but still pretty darn stressful! Especially as we'll be going backwards in terms of house functionality and upgrades and will be spending a big bucket of $$ (above and beyond what we'll net on this house after commissions, etc) to do so..but as I tell the wife..we're "buying dirt", and THAT, you can't change - unlike the house itself.

What's even more crazy is that we haven't even listed our current house yet as it's not ready. Yikes. Best case, it goes on the market 9/1. So I'll be carrying two houses for a while. With no W-2 paychecks, that's CRAZY stressful and I'm wondering what in God's name I was ever thinking..

Attachments

• LakeView.jpg
    LakeView.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
No electric motors allowed? DD's in-laws have a place on a small 36a pond near us that prohibits gas motors but doe allow electric. They have a swim raft and bolted a motor mount to it and put on an electric motor and a few patio chairs and putt around the pond for a cocktail cruise.

No electric motors allowed? DD's in-laws have a place on a small 36a pond near us that prohibits gas motors but doe allow electric. They have a swim raft and bolted a motor mount to it and put on an electric motor and a few patio chairs and putt around the pond for a cocktail cruise.

Yep..no motors. It's very shallow. Plus, the by-laws prohibit motors of any kind - gas, electric, solar :), etc.

Canoes, paddle boats, etc are fine, though..

Never lived on a lake before. I know sound travels easily across water. Lot of retired people in the sub including my ONE (yay!) neighbor. So I "HOPE" the people across the lake are reasonable..unlike my current neighbors, one of which just installed an outdoor sound system around their pool (complete with multiple, very large sub-woofers) that's comparable to what you'd find at your average professional concert venue..

Ding, ding, ding, that's correct!
We see it from our patio in West Vancouver! From here to Everett on the left HS.

Three views from our patio:

Attachments

• f0950019.jpg
    f0950019.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 119
  • f1350079.jpg
    f1350079.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 115
  • f1380015.jpg
    f1380015.jpg
    686.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
I have a 70s era summer cabin atop Hells Canyon National Recreation Area in SE Washington.

The views pictured are about 5 miles away from the cabin uphill and downhill.

The picture at high elevation doesn't do it justice, as the skyline is like that for over 180 degrees, and the view goes about 4500 feet down to the Gran Ronde river. The river picture is hazy due to a few nearby forest fires.

The view from my front deck is less spectacular, but also pleasant.

The cabin itself is in a nice forest, with seasonal stream.

Attachments

• Em and Katy.jpg
    Em and Katy.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 125
  • Snyder Bar.jpg
    Snyder Bar.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Cabin front deck in rain.jpg
    Cabin front deck in rain.jpg
    753.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Lets not forget each of us's portion of the newely established in NH, ME, & others R.E., residential & commercial, "view taxation scheme", sweeping the country.

I'd love to address this in court!!

How much is to much?
Its to much for me.

To focus on the thread: (sorry, the pic did not seem to load. It was a foggy days pic anyhow!)
Keim & kcowan above had taxable views....hehehe...J/k!

Good luck & best wishes to all!

Last edited:
Lets not forget each of us's portion of the newely established in NH, ME, & others R.E., residential & commercial "view" taxation scheme, sweeping the country.

How much is to much?
Its to much for me.

Good luck all!
Haven't heard of this...

It's nothing new, or "newely" established. https://www.citizenscount.org/news/does-nh-have-view-tax has an explanation of the misconception. Most places have a land valuation, and a structure valuation. My nice view lot is appraised higher than non-view lots, but less than some of the really nice view lots.

That makes sense. It seemed to me that a special view tax was nonsensical, as it's "baked in" by the properties already inflated value.

But I've seen weirder taxation attempts.

Haven't heard of this...

Thats my happenstance.
Many haven't heard of it, or other state taxation schemes.

I hope it helps other taxpayers dispute it/their taxation schemes also.
A family member just sold his 2 lot CapeCod property.

Luckily he was the BigDigs PRIMARY architect, with a recognized name in Mass akin to Kennedy.

Oligarchs beware!

Good luck & best wishes.....

IMG_8894.jpgIMG_4953.jpg

The first picture is the view from the beach condo in So CA that we thought would be our forever home. It’s now rented to a long-term tenant. The second picture is our current view from the kitchen, living room, back patio and master BR of our current retirement home in Palm Springs.

Lot of lovely views in this thread! So much beauty everywhere.

Great thread! Such amazing views.
Here’s mine. From the porch and from the new pool I had built.

Attachments

• 14ACBFF5-81B4-422D-8580-93A164DDBAEF.jpg
    14ACBFF5-81B4-422D-8580-93A164DDBAEF.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 9100ABFC-694F-42EB-BCD8-8980C395E66F.jpg
    9100ABFC-694F-42EB-BCD8-8980C395E66F.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 118
Back
Top Bottom