Do you have an amazing view - can I see?

Backyard from the house we lived in for 18 years (bottom)

New house with ICW view from waterside. (90 miles south)

Attachments

• 20190122_143503.jpg
    20190122_143503.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20170207_065521.jpg
    20170207_065521.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 55
We could have picked a place with a view of the mountains, but most have a not so great view of tick tacky houses and other junk between the house and the mountains. I have know for a long time if you like your view you better own it. Our last place we built as our retirement home 30+ years before we were going to retire. We bough 8 acres of woods and put the house in the middle with a curved drive so you could not see the house. from the road or any other house. We then decided to move to a state with better weather lower taxes and better politics and started over looking for the perfect house or piece of land. Took awhile but we found a place on 7.5 acres of woods that had a National Forest 40 feet out the back door. The drive is 1200 feet long with a 90 degree curve for privacy. When the leaves are off we can sort of see a couple of neighbors but we pretty much own our view and enjoy the mountain views coming and going from our secluded home.

Great thread.

Hey here is a question for those of you who live on acreage: Do you have friendships with neighbors ? Just wonder if being further away helps or hurts neighbor relationships.

Great thread.

Hey here is a question for those of you who live on acreage: Do you have friendships with neighbors ? Just wonder if being further away helps or hurts neighbor relationships.
We live on 7 acres and I can not see either of my immediate N/S neighbors from my house. The one South is a gem of a neighbor - very helpful and just all around one couldn't hope for a nicer neighbor. The one to the North I haven't talked to for more than 15 years. A #1 a*****e. So, it depends :cool:

When my kids were younger our houses had great local schools but never any good views. The houses with the best views always had mediocre schools. Now they are grown up we decided to overcompensate. (View from our balcony in Northern Arizona)

Attachments

• IMG_2897.jpeg
    IMG_2897.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 65
Great thread.

We lived in our previous house on 8 wooded acres for 35+ years. Some neighbors were friends and others just there. Three closest neighbors were always willing to help each other when needed but not get together regularly. Current house (6 years) most of the neighbors are on a wave as you go by each other on the road level. The one that we were friendliest with moved. One other neighbors we see to talk once in awhile and the woman building next door we see and talk to regularly, usually to help answer questions since she is trying to be her own general contractor. If she would have spent a little bit more up front she would have moved in 2 years ago and have spent less money by now. Of course closing the world down for over a year didn't help.

Great thread.

I don't live permanently on my acreage but I am there a lot. The closest neighbor is over a mile away and then jumps to over 3 miles away plus. I have great relationships with all of them and have meet new friends. When I'm at the ranch I often will get a few ranchers that stop and we shoot the bull. I have been taken tomatoes every time I go now and put a bag of them in their mail boxes. Lol The one guy said he can't get any tomatoes to turn red this year.
One rancher called yesterday and was wondering about the trial they use to get to a field, that I will own shortly. He asked if they can still use it. I told him that nothing will change and you do what you have done for the last 100 years. It is all part of getting along and working together because we all need each other to make things work.

IMG_20210306_155007908_HDR.jpg

20190512_152048.jpg

Views from my brother's house.

PC250001.JPG

PC090007.JPG

Views from my house when I first retired in 2006. Sold it. Now trying to figure out where I want to live in retirement.

I like a lot of the views posted. I think the PNW has the most beautiful scenery.

Not crazy about the area where everything is brown. We live on the water on the east coast, and were in the Smokie Mountains the last 10 days looking for a summer place. Here is the view from our cabin at 3500' elevation. And a waterfall on side of the road.

Attachments

• cabin view.jpg
    cabin view.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 51
  • waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 48
I like a lot of the views posted. I think the PNW has the most beautiful scenery.

Not crazy about the area where everything is brown. We live on the water on the east coast, and were in the Smokie Mountains the last 10 days looking for a summer place. Here is the view from our cabin at 3500' elevation. And a waterfall on side of the road.

To each their own. I love it.

When my kids were younger our houses had great local schools but never any good views. The houses with the best views always had mediocre schools. Now they are grown up we decided to overcompensate. (View from our balcony in Northern Arizona)

Horfield,

Beautiful view! I have noticed that this thread has attracted a lot of folks who have not posted a lot. Welcome to the forum!

How much snow do you get?

Great thread.

We just moved to an acreage 6 months ago so me experience is limited. Like I said, we can't see any neighbors but we talk to new neighbors more often than the tract home we used to live at. It's a different dynamic. All meetup are impromptu and on our daily walk. Meetup with the old neighbors were mostly planned gatherings every few months. Acreage neighbors are always willing to help and I have reciprocated as well. I am hands on kind of guy so I like helping and so do they. On a different note, if you are an acreage kind of guy/gal then you probably know it already. Few common traits I have seen in all neighbors around me: "Can do" attitude with "hands on" efforts, loves peace and independence, love of land, etc.

I don't live permanently on my acreage but I am there a lot. The closest neighbor is over a mile away and then jumps to over 3 miles away plus. I have great relationships with all of them and have meet new friends. When I'm at the ranch I often will get a few ranchers that stop and we shoot the bull. I have been taken tomatoes every time I go now and put a bag of them in their mail boxes. Lol The one guy said he can't get any tomatoes to turn red this year.
One rancher called yesterday and was wondering about the trial they use to get to a field, that I will own shortly. He asked if they can still use it. I told him that nothing will change and you do what you have done for the last 100 years. It is all part of getting along and working together because we all need each other to make things work.

When we lived on some acreage (in the midwest - part of a farm) our new neighbor came over shortly after she moved in. She asked us if we had seen the tornado go through our back 40 (primarily trees) the day before. No, because we were in town during the event. We did see a house that had been lifted off its foundation and dumped onto one of the roads leading home. We wondered how close it had come to our house. What a way to get to know your neighbors!

We got along well with all but one of our near-by neighbors. That's the way it should be. We let everyone fish in our pond - only asked that they tell their teens to pick up after themselves. :facepalm:

The only neighbor we didn't see eye to eye with was the one who w*rked days and left two vicious dogs to guard their property - neither on a leash. When we tried to go for a walk, they would bound over our front 6 acres and force us back inside. We called the sheriff who told the folks that we would be within our rights to shoot the dogs next time it happened. It never did happen again and I doubt I could shoot a dog. But, we were never friends. What a shame. Neighbors should be, well, neighborly like street's neighbors.:)

Love this thread, surprised not many golf course views

I wondered about that too. (I knew a guy who lived on a course. He never had to buy shag balls.:facepalm:) Some courses are truly beautiful and I don't even play anymore so YMMV.

Man, all these mountain homes 3 hours from me are hitting $1+ million price tag. They were in the 700K a year ago.

Same here in Northern California, Lake Tahoe went up between 30 to 40 per cent in the last year. Now everyone is fleeing Tahoe and surrounding areas duty heavy smoke from the fires with no end in sight. :confused:

Living on acreage, kinda a trick question for me. Our zipcode is 50 miles long, 5 miles wide, with mountains and national forest and New Mexico, to define it.

In my section (640 acres) there is just us, a family of 3 and 2 Airbnb's. We don't get along with the one neighbor because she doesn't like me walking the dogs without leashes, her kids love the dogs.

My town has maybe 250 residents add another 300 snowbirds, and at times I know most of them, though not so recently.

I am friends with most neighbors within a 3 mile radius of us except for one rancher, who is a "stay of my yard" kinda guy.

Ronstar, you have a beautiful place!

I wondered about that too. (I knew a guy who lived on a course. He never had to buy shag balls.:facepalm:) Some courses are truly beautiful and I don't even play anymore so YMMV.

The joy of having a golf course view fades away very quickly if you happen to be in the 'hit zone'. Just need to be very selective when choosing to make sure your golf course home isn't in that zone.

Last edited:
The joy of having a golf course view fades away very quickly if you happen to be in the 'hit zone'. Just need to be very selective when choosing to make sure your golf course home isn't in that zone.
Yes. My parents were golfers and selected their home just off #14 tee box. Even the most vicious hook couldn't hit their place.

City House/Country House

[/ATTACH]

Country house looks out on vineyards and redwoods.

City house looks at the Golden Gate Bridge and the S.F. Bay.

Attachments

• City House.jpg
    City House.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom