DQOTD: Buy new furniture and move, or wait?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We plan to relocate 750 miles within 12 months, and we’ll undoubtedly use a moving company (vs DIY). We intend to replace several rooms worth of furniture, but we’ve held off just to avoid paying to move it - we’ll just buy there. But it occurs to me we might get furniture discounts here while we’re waiting that are more valuable than the incremental cost of moving it. If we wait until we get there, we may be forced to pay higher prices if we buy all at once or we’ll have to wait months for discount seasons. Might not happen but I'd like to avoid having rooms empty or partially furnished for 6-12 months (waiting for a discount). It’s easy to estimate the cost of moving, but the incremental cost? Anyone have an insight?

Last edited:
It's up to you, of course, but if it was me, I'd not move the old furniture and instead I would buy the new furniture after your move. You may run into discounts at your new location too, and certainly you would have less to move.

Also, I am thinking that it might be easier to figure out what would look good in various rooms, and the right scale for the new furniture, if your rooms aren't cluttered with old furniture.

I wouldn't buy ALL the new furniture during my first week there; I'd buy the necessities and take my time buying the rest. For me the necessities would be a bed, an easy chair, and a small collapsible table. But YMMV on that. I might buy a blow-up bed from Wal-Mart to sleep on until I could find just the bedroom furniture that I want, but a comfortable easy chair is important to me so I would buy that right away.

Used to be that you'd get a discount in your target location if you were a resident. But with the collapse of the furniture industry over the last 20 years, those days are basically over.

If you're still looking to move to the Raleigh area, High Point is a great place to furniture shop. I can't say for sure that the prices and selection are still better there than elsewhere since I haven't really shopped since 2001, but that's always been the reputation.

Moved cross country several times. Furniture doesn't fare well even if using the most experienced and expensive (company pays for my moves) moving company. It's big, awkward to carry, awkward to cover/protect, and gets stuff stacked on it as well as being stacked on other things. Tables and desks are the no. 1 things that have been damaged in all of our moves.

We have moved a antique dining room table about 10 times around the country. My DH takes the legs off , puts the table between 2 mattress’s right below the roof of the truck. Not one mark on it. Moving companies frequently damage stuff so I would definitely wait. Plus the furniture might not fit well in the new home.

I would wait too. You don't want to be picking out a new place to fix the furniture you just bought.
*I have always wanted to make a trip down to High Point. It is not like buying NC furniture when there was still the industry there but the mall sounds like a fun thing to do. I would be overwhelmed and not be able to choose so not much point.

Wait. Once you are living in your new home you may in fact change your mind.

We did buy one piece of furniture prior to moving (same city) and we ended up regretting it.

Bring the good stuff you have now with the move but don't buy more.

It seems like you need to check with the moving companies and try to nail down something on quantity and prices. They must have a general idea of the different costs. If you really like your furniture you might find out it would not be that expensive to just move it.

Get some idea of what you are going to purge and ask around for a cost. My sister has sem-hoarding and impulse buying issues and had a company provided move so she packed everything but the kitchen sink. She also got major blowback from her work due the weight of her belongings and the cost of the move. Four years later lots of the stuff she moved hasn't been taken out of the moving boxes.

It's up to you, of course, but if it was me, I'd not move the old furniture and instead I would buy the new furniture after your move. You may run into discounts at your new location too, and certainly you would have less to move.

Also, I am thinking that it might be easier to figure out what would look good in various rooms, and the right scale for the new furniture, if your rooms aren't cluttered with old furniture.

I wouldn't buy ALL the new furniture during my first week there; I'd buy the necessities and take my time buying the rest. For me the necessities would be a bed, an easy chair, and a small collapsible table. But YMMV on that. I might buy a blow-up bed from Wal-Mart to sleep on until I could find just the bedroom furniture that I want, but a comfortable easy chair is important to me so I would buy that right away.
We weren't planning to move the old stuff.

And I agree with matching the furniture to the room in some cases. Bedroom not so much, living and dining yes.

It just occurred to me 50% discounts on furniture aren't unheard of. So a $4K bedroom set might be had for $2K. I doubt the incremental moving cost would be anywhere near $2K - but I don't know, hence the thread.

The other posts about damage in transit is a good thought. We're replacing a 40 yr old bedroom set, it would be a big disappointment to have our new bedroom set damaged right off the bat. Damage might trump economics.

Last edited:
Bring the good stuff you have now with the move but don't buy more.
The good stuff we have would fit in a pretty small van :blush:. Just a few pieces of furniture, but a lot of little stuff. Our driveway is going to be full of free furniture before we leave...

Hickory used to be the furniture capitol of America. That's long gone, of course; but still lots of good quality stuff there at various price points.

Off topic. Consider obtaining quotes from both regional and national movers (local won't go that far). I always had better results with local and regional movers than the big, national players (retired military - got that moving moving thing down pat). :cool:

That's the way to do it. Then you will get the stuff you want when you are there and you it will fit and the color will be right and you can make the rounds of many stores and take your time.

Besides if where you are going is anything like here furniture is always on sale anyway.

It just occurred to me 50% discounts on furniture aren't unheard of. So a $4K bedroom set might be had for $2K. I doubt the incremental moving cost would be anywhere near $2K - but I don't know, hence the thread.

Seems like you have almost a dozen answers saying not to buy before you move. Maybe that is an indication.

The other posts about damage in transit is a good thought. We're replacing a 40 yr old bedroom set, it would be a big disappointment to have our new bedroom set damaged right off the bat. Damage might trump economics.
I have had SO many pieces damaged in transit. It's not even unusual. I can't imagine wanting to buy brand new furniture beforehand, because that would just be a set-up for me to get all mad and blustery and litigious later on.

Also, as I mentioned it is just plain awful to buy furniture that is of the wrong scale or style for the room (even the bedroom). Reading through your lines, I think you have the urge to shop right now and I think what we are all saying is, "Curb that urge! Cease and desist! You'll be happier later on if you just wait." :LOL:

Reading through your lines, I think you have the urge to shop right now and I think what we are all saying is, "Curb that urge! Cease and desist! You'll be happier later on if you just wait." :LOL:
Just the opposite. We have a 40 year old cheapo bedroom set, and an empty dining room - so we haven't had any urges at all. Just thinking about the economics, but again damage probably trumps economics.

All I have.done.the last 15 years is move, move,.move. Us twice, our daughter, my parents.twice, my elderly aunt. At one time, I had three double car garages full of stuff. I have a 5 bedroom house and 3 bedroom lake house, and still cannot a car in my two garages.

I honor that you are.willing.to.make lifestyle change. I just wish all our family trash wasn't someone's treasure. I am a believer in buying upholstered furniture new and scrounging around for other used pieces.

My last used furniture was a Hancock and Moore cordovan leather hideabed with down cushions for $200. It cost about $6,000 new. Talk about nap heaven.

Last edited:
The good stuff we have would fit in a pretty small van :blush:. Just a few pieces of furniture, but a lot of little stuff. Our driveway is going to be full of free furniture before we leave...
Sounds like you could probably move it yourself, or maybe use a pod. I don't know if a pod is actually cheaper than space on a big van but it seems like a good way to pack things yourself, and have a little more time to load and unload.

I'll bet the delta between one of those options and moving quite a bit more furniture is a lot more than you think. Anything across state boundaries is quite expensive. I wouldn't hazard a guess on any of the options, but you might do it before making any decisions like this.

You might also be surprised what you might want different at your new house, even in the bedroom. It could be a lot bigger or smaller than you picture, which would change the king/queen decision.

What I did was take a trip to High Point a few week before, maybe even a few months, and scheduled delivery of what I bought once I had a confirmed date. Often the furniture isn't in stock and has to be ordered anyway.

I liked FurnitureLand South and High Point Atrium Mall. I think FLS had a discount/outlet place called Furniture Land South Too, or something like that, I had good luck in.

There's also Green Front furniture out of Farmville VA that some people love, and last I heard they had a store in Raleigh too. I tried the Farmville one twice but it was so scattered among a dozen or so buildings that I found it tough to browse, and it seemed like a lot of what they had just didn't appeal to me. Older styled, in my view. Maybe I just wasn't in a shopping mood then, and my trip to High Point happened to be on a good day for me.

Salvation Army will come pick it up.

I say wait. We're (hopefully) going to be making the same decisions soon. From what I've read, in addition to the base cost you pay 50cents/pound. I can totally understand wanting to arrive ready to move in and have things feeling settled, but realistically I think it just takes 6 months or so to get set up in a new home and have things the way you want them.

Curious why you think you can find better deals now? When are you planning the move? I would think NC would be a great place to furniture shop.

Can you do your furniture shopping for future delivery when you do your house hunting?

I bought some appliances back in May but told them that I would not be ready to have them delivered until late July or early August once our kitchen renovation was complete... no problem! In fact, it worked out well for us since the warranties don't start until they are delivered.

I know so many people including me who Moved furniture or bought it quickly after a move and really regretted it.Move and take your time buying furniture .

I think what W2R said is excellent advice. What looks good in one place may not in the other.

Back
Top Bottom