DQOTD: Buy new furniture and move, or wait?

We have moved a antique dining room table about 10 times around the country. My DH takes the legs off , puts the table between 2 mattress’s right below the roof of the truck. Not one mark on it. Moving companies frequently damage stuff so I would definitely wait. Plus the furniture might not fit well in the new home.
+1000

Our movers, a contractor to International Van Lines, was amazing. They stole things I didn't know were valuable. They broke things that were unbreakable.

Seriously they stole family heirlooms that I guess were worth $5?, managed to break a 60 yo wooden desk chair. My DW's vintage B&O stereo system was thrown inside a box with zero padding. Never mind the electronics, they broke the case and veneer.

They actually held our stuff hostage as they didn't want their payment in the agreed upon form of a cashier's check. Instead we had to come up with cash.

Curious why you think you can find better deals now? When are you planning the move? I would think NC would be a great place to furniture shop.
I was assuming sales come and go like many products, maybe not? I would start looking now, expect to move within 12 months.

Can you do your furniture shopping for future delivery when you do your house hunting?

I bought some appliances back in May but told them that I would not be ready to have them delivered until late July or early August once our kitchen renovation was complete... no problem! In fact, it worked out well for us since the warranties don't start until they are delivered.
That’s an interesting angle I hadn’t thought of, thanks.

Last edited:
The fewer times a mover touches your stuff, especially new stuff, the better. Good luck on the move. We downsized 3 years ago and are still tweaking furniture.

Back
Top Bottom