Dryer Sheets

RobbieB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Every time I see this I smile. Sometimes I even laugh. It's one of the things that got me to sign up here. Little things...

I friggen hate dryer sheets. I love that they are not needed anymore.

For decades now we (now I, wife died 5 years ago) have been dutifully following the advice of the appliance salesman who warned us not to put fabric softener in the agitator opening of the washer as it would mess up the machine. Use "dryer sheets" instead. Which we did. For 25 years. From time to time I would find some strange irritation in my clothes (especially flannels) and reach in and remove the dryer sheet. Once I even pulled one out of my butt crack. I friggen hate dryer sheets.

I bought a new washer about a year ago. High efficiency, there is no "agitator" and there is a little drawer where you put the detergent and the fabric softener. The salesman (same one) no longer cautioned against the use of liquid fabric softener, he said this new dispenser worked well. And it does.

It was with great joy that I took the whole remaining box of dryer sheets and flung it to the trash. I even remember I added more than a few expletives as I watched it arch through the air into the can.

Fini!

It was with great joy that I took the whole remaining box of dryer sheets and flung it to the trash. I even remember I added more than a few expletives as I watched it arch through the air into the can.

Fini!
You tossed them too soon! Dryer sheets can be used in places where mice like to nest, like stored cars, RVs etc. The mice generally chew them to make them a little fluffier before they incorporate them into the nest, however.

We stopped using fabric softener and dryer sheets, and have noticed little or no difference.

Then again, I hand-wash and dry gym outfits and brassieres, while the sheets go over the deck railings to dry in the sun and wind. One thing I would hate about a HOA is that they don't let you hang clothes outside!

I've been using white vinegar in the agitator cup (where fabric softener goes) and it acts as a good softening agent... plus the added bonus of anti-bacterial, anti-odor, etc... And dirt cheap.

I also hate dryer sheets and have never used them since leaving home (my mother swore by them).

Rodi - does the white vinegar help with static cling?

I also hate dryer sheets and have never used them since leaving home (my mother swore by them).

Rodi - does the white vinegar help with static cling?

Yes. Static is a problem here in San Diego because of the dry air... And I have very little issue.

As for sheets/towels... I dry those on the line... nothing like fresh air smelling sheets sanitized in the sunshine. Again - I use vinegar in the wash as a rinse agent.

Yes. Static is a problem here in San Diego because of the dry air... And I have very little issue.

As for sheets/towels... I dry those on the line... nothing like fresh air smelling sheets sanitized in the sunshine. Again - I use vinegar in the wash as a rinse agent.

I line-dry jeans and towels, but the air around here is not so fresh...

Well, I accidentally bought an extra jug of white vinegar recently so I'll give it a try!

Well, I accidentally bought an extra jug of white vinegar recently so I'll give it a try!

It doesn't take much - at most 1/4 cup. Clothes come out smelling clean (not vinegar-y) and not like perfume.

Back
Top Bottom