Shocking Price to Launder a Comforter!

When I bought the new washer and dryer for my Dream Home (back in 2015 right after moving in), I chose LG supersized models. I wash and dry all my king sized comforters in them with no issues for $0.00 each.

So I really don't know what to tell you! I'm flabbergasted. You're quite correct, the prices they are asking from you for this are highway robbery.

I do have a nearby laundry that also does dry cleaning, and I took my fake Persian rug to them once right after the move into this house. It came out fine after dry cleaning. So I suppose that's another option although I don't remember the cost.

That's the problem, the nearest laundromat is 8 miles away. Then there is the sitting there for over an hour.

Hang it over a clothesline in the backyard and beat it with a broom like my momma did. :LOL:

Not sure where you live but given what labor costs here in NorCal this sounds reasonable to inexpensive.

Well, I would slam dunk that comforter into our washing machine, transfer it to the dryer in a mostly dry state (with one half of dryer sheet of course) and hang it to complete with an air dry. And give myself a $50 tip. :D Been there, done that (without the $50 tip).

This honestly seems to me just as easy as donkeying that thing around town.

Do I ever have items dry cleaned? Yes, but there has to be a good reason.

I live in one of the few newer neighborhoods in Florida (2000's) that doesn't have 3 levels of HOA to beat you about the head and shoulders worse than any momma for even having a clothesline in your backyard.

Hang it over a clothesline in the backyard and beat it with a broom like my momma did. :LOL:

I go to the laundromat. Can be entertaining! Really mostly just hard working people trying to get their stuff done.

Can you imagine:
Laundromats
In Walmart...

Well, I would slam dunk that comforter into our washing machine, transfer it to the dryer in a mostly dry state (with one half of dryer sheet of course) and hang it to complete with an air dry.

Exactly what I ended up doing. Worked out well.

You mean a trip to the Laundromat is not on your bucket list:confused:?

They are great for people watching.

Our comforter is almost 10 years old but needs replacing. It was closer to $250 and has been laundered at home many times, usually about every 6 months. I don't think I'd pay for professional laundering of a comforter. This is from someone who has paid for dry cleaning of suits andsports coats. Not opposed to the idea, just seems unreasonable for comforters.

That's the problem, the nearest laundromat is 8 miles away. Then there is the sitting there for over an hour.

Just remind yourself that you're making $40/hour and no taxes on it.

That's why a duvet with a duvet cover is a better choice? Europeans figured that out long ago.

That's why a duvet with a duvet cover is a better choice? Europeans figured that out long ago.

+1
I have a white goose down comforter and use a duvet cover. I have one duvet cover for fall/winter, and a different duvet cover for spring/summer. Laundering the duvet cover is like doing a load of sheets. This way, the comforter cover gets laundered at least twice a year.

I live in one of the few newer neighborhoods in Florida (2000's) that doesn't have 3 levels of HOA to beat you about the head and shoulders worse than any momma for even having a clothesline in your backyard.

Hmmm... I can't recall my momma ever beat us kids.

She left the beating to my dad.

That's what my wife does with our comforters.
A duvet cover is also a way to change your decor for much less than the cost of a comforter, plus you no longer need to launder the comforter. OTOH it would be a little warmer than a duvet.

I've taken our comforters to a laundromat, and agree with others here that it can be an interesting place to people watch. And perhaps there's a trend towards upscale laundromats. We have in our city a Laundry Café that's a full-service laundry with a café serving drinks and pastries, plus a display of art from local artists. Très chic, no?

I've taken our comforters to a laundromat, and agree with others here that it can be an interesting place to people watch. And perhaps there's a trend towards upscale laundromats. We have in our city a Laundry Café that's a full-service laundry with a café serving drinks and pastries, plus a display of art from local artists. Très chic, no?

Back in the years we had no laundry equipment, we schlepped 3 weeks worth of laundry to the laundromat. We always went to a large laundromat that had an attendant. They could be sure there was enough change available and help if a machine went berserk.

I haven't had a comforter dry-cleaned in ages but the last time I did I remember the cost was pretty steep. Remember that dry cleaners are subjected to all kinds of environmental regulations (for good reasons) and many have gone out of business due to costs of compliance and the rise of business casual clothing.

I do have a couple of handmade quilts that should be cleaned somehow and don't want to use a process that would rip the stitches.

As for laundromats- yeah, I used one in a hotel a year ago- pretty amazing how fast those machines sucked up every quarter I had. The Airbnb apartment I had in Munich last year was far more civilized. You downloaded an app called WeWash, input credit card info, and it told you what machine to use and notified you when it was done.

Someone DW has trained me to take on the care of our bedding. (Oh, behave! I mean sheets and blankets and such.) I took the comforter off the bed for summer intending on washing it but then remembered the last time I washed it at home it did not go well. It's a king sized comforter and it filled our washer and came out of the dryer with plenty of wrinkles. So I thought I'd take it to the new "Tide Laundry and Dry Cleaners" that recently opened nearby.

I was shopping near the Tide Store yesterday and popped in to see how much it would cost to get our king size comforter washed and dried.

$46.99!!

$46.99!!

They have pricing on the wall that says they charge $3.20 per lb. to launder clothes, with a minimum of 10 lbs. of clothes required. I asked the person working the counter:

"So it will cost me $32.00 to get my king sized comforter cleaned?"

"No", he replied, "a comforter is a special item and we have a flat rate of $46.99 for comforters."

Flabbergasted, I turned and walked out.

Does this price seem reasonable?

That’s about what I paid for my queen size comforter in both Erie PA and Knoxville.

Last time I dry cleaned our comforter it was $35.00. A few months ago, I went to the laundromat, was indoctrinated on the cash to prepaid card system and spent about $7.00. I had previously laundered the “dry clean only” pillow shams at home and they were fine.
I figured I didn’t have anything to lose, if it shrunk up, the dogs could have a new bed.

Back
Top Bottom