Dryuary

I'm in. This is my 4th year. It's always a nice reset.

I do a three day version of Dryuary every once in a while, like once every 6 months, just to let any organs rejuvenate that may be stressed out by a three beer per day lifestyle. Probably doesn't do any good, but hey, why not?

I don't understand the concept behind stop drinking alcohol for only one month.

To tell you the truth, I don't see the value in it either. I said I was in, but actually I don't plan on drinking for 3-6 months until I get where I want to be weight and health-wise. It's not related to dryuary, it just coincides. And if a special occasion comes up I'll probably have a drink, but only one because I don't want to get started again. I can manage one drink, but one pint of Ben and Jerry's and I'll fall completely off the wagon.

But there are certainly other dumber things that people do based on herd following. What was that challenge about getting ice water dumped all over you? Or the Hands Across America thing? This is just another one.

Guys - my apologies for using the header Dryuary, which was popularized last year I believe. It's been my habit for decades to twist my tail by going against a personal habit, the nightly drink. Not suggesting that anyone do the same, not suggesting that this is a litmus test for alcoholism, not casting aspersions on anyone's willpower for not doing something like this. I admire those who creatively come up with different breakfasts every day - me, it's oatmeal. every day. and a drink. every night. For me, this is about habits and how it feels to go against them. Some habits have served me well - the donkey that just puts its head down and keeps plodding along can grind a lot of grain. Some habits are just habits - taking the same route back from the store when there are multiple equidistant choices. Nobody has to break their habits; if they even have habits. My habit is to do so every year and wondered if others did something similar.

Guys - my apologies for using the header Dryuary, which was popularized last year I believe. It's been my habit for decades to twist my tail by going against a personal habit, the nightly drink. Not suggesting that anyone do the same, not suggesting that this is a litmus test for alcoholism, not casting aspersions on anyone's willpower for not doing something like this. I admire those who creatively come up with different breakfasts every day - me, it's oatmeal. every day. and a drink. every night. For me, this is about habits and how it feels to go against them. Some habits have served me well - the donkey that just puts its head down and keeps plodding along can grind a lot of grain. Some habits are just habits - taking the same route back from the store when there are multiple equidistant choices. Nobody has to break their habits; if they even have habits. My habit is to do so every year and wondered if others did something similar.

No need to apologies. Most understood your motive. Thanks for posting, I'll be right there with you.

I vow to not drink any more. I also vow to not drink any less.

Got just the right amount of drinking going on!

I vow to not drink any more. I also vow to not drink any less.

Got just the right amount of drinking going on!

Sounds like my system. I restrict myself to only one glass of beer per day.

I fill it as often as I like, but just the one glass.

Sounds like my system. I restrict myself to only one glass of beer per day.
I fill it as often as I like, but just the one glass.

Looks like you left it behind in the snow. It's a Dryuary for you then ! :LOL:

Thank you. Well said.

Haven’t pissed any money away since 11/21/1998 after a wise person told me that if I felt it necessary to control my drinking, it was already out of control. i.e. I like ketchup, but I’ve never felt it necessary to make rules about consuming it, so I guess I don’t have a problem with ketchup.

I did it last year and enjoyed it so I'm doing it again. My husband thinks it's silly, but that doesn't bother me in the least. I don't want drinking to become a habit. Last year was a good reset and a good way to start off the new year.

I drink everyday. Just like Pops. Get home from work, mix up a martini before supper. Don't drink after.

Haven’t pissed any money away since 11/21/1998 after a wise person told me that if I felt it necessary to control my drinking, it was already out of control. i.e. I like ketchup, but I’ve never felt it necessary to make rules about consuming it, so I guess I don’t have a problem with ketchup.
I believe you posted a very similar comment on this thread last year.

DW signed "us" up for dryuary in December. That said, I've had a beer once in a while (and 3 while watching the shenanigans Wednesday although it didn't help the depression), but I need to lose weight and fewer Sierra trails are available when in winter until spring when the snow melts.

Sunday may be harder when the playoffs are going; I may slip and drink 2 beers then.

Of course you will rot in hell for your malfeasance.

Or not - :)

I believe you posted a very similar comment on this thread last year.

That wouldn’t surprise me and probably shouldn’t surprise anyone if I say it again next year. When I was drinking I retold the same old tired stories, again and again, practically every night. Now I’m down to just once a year.

Interesting read. I’m enjoying almost nightly after-dinner rye manhattans (1 or 2, more likely the latter)while vegging out tube-front during this covidian nightmare. I’ve convinced myself it’s more out of habit than craving. No day drinking, and no daytime TV watching except weekends during football season. But the nighttime comes and it just feels right(?)to have the remote in one hand and a sociable in the other. Annual physicals tell me my innards are ok, and I refuse to drive (or operate heavy machinery [emoji12]) once the grain hits my lips, but there’s no place to drive to anyways in this locked down state; I’m in for the night. Considering some of the “entertainment” I’ve been watching I’m more concerned for my mind than my liver. As far as cookies go, DW is an enabler. She bakes me a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies weekly. Cheers!

I am doing Dryuary again this year. Think this make 6 of the last 7 (the taking mom down south year didn't make it lol).
Usually Thanksgiving through New Years is the party season and my highest drinking time so giving the body a break for a month is a good thing for me. Even though Covid cut the drinking down last year - especially in the holiday season, I'm sticking with Dryuary. It's an easy way to cut out a big chunk of non healthy behaviour.

Do I have issues with alcohol? Yup. I like to have a couple of beers; it brings out a new man in me. Unfortunately that guy wants a few beers too. And those nice hoppy 7% ABV IPAs are a lot stronger than the 4.5% ABV Yuenglings they replaced.

That wouldn’t surprise me and probably shouldn’t surprise anyone if I say it again next year. When I was drinking I retold the same old tired stories, again and again, practically every night. Now I’m down to just once a year.
Lol.
My poor dog is so bored with me. Not only have I told him that story before, but he was there!

I don’t think I’ve had alcohol since I went to Belgium and England in 2019. Even before then, I probably only had 1-2 alcoholic beverages in a year.

Food is my weakness, but not alcohol. Which is probably a good thing since my mom was an alcoholic.

Back
Top Bottom