Dryuary

I have been paring back my social media use. Been about 5 days so far so good. Now to scale back on news.

Now there is a toughie. I'm on the computer way more than is worthwhile. One habit tweaking at a time though. I'm a very habit oriented person, from toothbrushing order to coffee and breakfast setup to oatmeal almost every day prepared in exactly the same way; including how the pan and coffee pot are washed and stored between uses. Hearing aids are put in one place, glasses another, drugs in a certain location, all done to be most efficient for my pattern of use. My habit is a drink every night. Not two, one. It is not a fear of alcoholism that urges me to stop for a 31 day month but a desire to captain my desires. Could just be an uber-habit though, as it has been over a quarter century now.

Nope, but we do something called "Liver Appreciation Day" on Mondays.

i may have a beer once or twice a month. Just one but only if it is something special like a chocolate stout. I like the treat but otherwise have cut way back on my alcohol consumption from college days 50+ years ago. I even had a full bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label that I gave to a friend who likes scotch since I don't. Glad it will go to someone who will enjoy it.

Cheers!

I have 2 oz. of scotch every night. I measure it because I'm female and lightweight and don't want to stress my liver. If I 'm feeling indulgent, rather than drink more, I break out the better scotch that I bought in Edinburgh.

Yeah, I'd feel virtuous and healthy if I didn't imbibe this month but I have few vices and I'm clinging to this one.:D

Some people shouldn't drink, including me, so I gave it up 10 years ago. Apparently I turn into a lunatic at some point when drinking. Once I retired and could (no more random tests), I did take up occasional recreational smoke/ candy. That does not make me a lunatic; rather bring out creativity. So, I get a lot done on my wireworks, other art works and decluttering.

One dry month is actually of great value if you have wondered about your drinking habits. I'd keep a journal if you are so inclined. Do it with a partner if you can- it'll help keep you motivated.

Good luck and enjoy feeling better. :cool:

I'm a type II diabetic, and I've chosen to be on an insulin pump to maintain level blood sugars. Diabetics and alcohol don't mix.

After all, my goal is to protect my kidneys. There's not much worse things than being tied to a hemodialysis machine 3 hours, 3 days a week like my father, uncle and cousin were before they threw a clot and died.

Fortunately, I'm doing well, and am in very good shape.

I have tended to overdrink wine (kill a bottle no prob) lately. I think I will do this.
I need a good goal!

I have tended to overdrink wine (kill a bottle no prob) lately. I think I will do this.
I need a good goal!

Absent my influence, DW will easily down a bottle each evening. With me, anything more than a small glass of wine affects my sleep, so I stop there.

Several years ago I initiated the summer challenge - no alcohol all summer. To my surprise she enthusiastically accepted.
Not wanting to let a good challenge go to waste, I added a few months each year to where it is now at 9 months on, 3 months off. Master the domain. :)

I rarely drink, so this is not a problem.
About the only time I drink (heavily, to me) is when we vacation yearly with a couple we have known since high school--then it could be 2-3 cocktails a day for a week or two! That didn't happen last year, and probably won't happen this year.

+1

Since light/moderate amounts of drinking (especially red wine) are associated with longevity, and since I am not an alcoholic, and since I don't engage in risky drinking behaviors, I see no reason to abstain for an entire month. So, as there is no problem to be solved, I will carry on enjoying some fine wine with dinner a few nights a week.

+1

IMO the only thing one month from alcohol will do is demonstrate to a person if they are an alcoholic or not. And it actually won't take a month.

Much of my w*rk career was in jobs (outside work with lots of moves) that attracted alcoholics, so I'm overly familiar with their struggles, and the signs of alcoholism in real life. I'm happy for the people that realized they have a problem and take actions to fix it. But don't take it out on the rest of us. Please.

+1

IMO the only thing one month from alcohol will do is demonstrate to a person if they are an alcoholic or not. And it actually won't take a month.

Much of my w*rk career was in jobs (outside work with lots of moves) that attracted alcoholics, so I'm overly familiar with their struggles, and the signs of alcoholism in real life. I'm happy for the people that realized they have a problem and take actions to fix it. But don't take it out on the rest of us. Please.

What are you talking about? This is something some people choose to do for their own reasons. I suspect most alcoholics won't participate, unless they're trying to lose weight or just for the hell of it. And nobody is pushing you to do anything. Feeling a little sensitive?

As I said, I'm doing it for the weight loss/numbers improvement aspect. Plus it is fun to change things up on occasion. It's like when I occasionally go vegetarian for a month or two. Just something to do if you feel like it.

Last edited:
+1

So if dryuaury is for alcoholics who is the target audience for no nut November?

What are you talking about? This is something some people choose to do for their own reasons. I suspect most alcoholics won't participate, unless they're trying to lose weight or just for the hell of it. And nobody is pushing you to do anything. Feeling a little sensitive?

As I said, I'm doing it for the weight loss/numbers improvement aspect. Plus it is fun to change things up on occasion. It's like when I occasionally go vegetarian for a month or two. Just something to do if you feel like it.

Sorry! didn't mean to offend. [people were relating their stories, and that was mine]

Last edited:
Ditching alcohol, no big deal. My nemesis is cookies! I've got a pack a day habit. Gave them up for lent a few times in the past.

I can relate to that, only my addiction is chocolate mint ice cream. It's so bad that I don't allow myself to walk down that aisle in the grocery store anymore.

I can relate to both of these “addictions”. I gave up alcohol quite a few years ago. I have a theory about this: since alcohol is metabolized into sugar, my body is just asking for cookies and ice cream to compensate for the sugar (maltose) it used to get from beer. And I’m happy to accede to my body’s requests.

I don't understand the concept behind stop drinking alcohol for only one month. It shouldn't be a 1 month temporary abstinence. Either drink or don't drink.

For me, I'll continue to have my nightly whiskey or brandy. Because I like it. I see no reason to deprive myself of it just because somebody else choses to. That's their decision, not mine.

I think you are just having fun, but that is not true...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_metabolism

I sure don’t understand the technical explanations in the cited article. But in Googling the topic, I see that what I said (and which I have always understood to be true) is a common myth. Thanks for setting me straight on the subject.

Having become more educated will likely not decrease my taste for cookies and ice cream. :)

My wine cellar is overflowing. I am obligated to keep tippling. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom