Dumbing down the weather news

I promised to leave, but couldn't resist this last swipe at the media... I mentioned that some of my relatives have a business near Havana...

Irma hit Cuba and especially Havana very hard. I looked for some news. The featured news from all media is not what happened to the people, but nearly every headline featured the airlifting of Dolphins.

Irma: Cuba airlifts dolphins to safety from deadly hurricane | The Independent

Hey... no kidding... you couldn't make this stuff up.:facepalm:

News is written by people. If there are no people on the ground available to write the news, then it doesn't get written and passed around. I think we can say that if Cuba had more international news reporters on the ground there, then it would have been reported. I think you know why there are not more international news reporters on the ground there.

So my wife is supposed to go bike touring in Cuba next year, so I wonder ....

try this report on Irma- the best weather report I've ever watched.

He's very good. I wonder if he'd like to relocate to NC and join my local station? :D:LOL:

Our weather folks are good, but a little to "chatty" for my taste. I like the way this guy does it - just the facts.

On buying groceries: I don't get why people buy bread for a hurricane. The stuff goes moldy in a day or so. I don't get why people buy water either. One can get water ahead of time out of their tap. People buy more than they need, too, leaving less for folks who might need it. It's a cliché to show empty shelves of grocery stores on the news.

Has anybody actually eaten all the bread they've bought pre-storm?

When we go backpacking, for lunches we don't like to cook, so we take hard cheese, salami/pepperoni, crackers, and dark chocolate all of which can last for days unrefrigerated. Usually, we have these things in the pantry or in the refrigerator anyways.

Also what's the deal with boiling water? There are methods to dis-infect water that don't involve boiling.

+1
I really don't get the buy water part, that is why we have taps, each person uses about 2 gallons per day, which is a lot of water.
Use a teaspoon of bleach and it will kill nearly everything in a gallon of water. Leave it open to the air for 1/2 hour and you won't even taste it.
Canned food will last years. Just keep a manual can opener.

Most counties have a mandatory evacuation for mobile and modular homes. We are in The Villages and trust me, everyone who watches tv knows from the periodic interruption of a show to give urgent updates.

They've also evacuated everyone around two local lakes regardless of home type. Don't remember the lake names since we've only been residents for about 2 weeks.

We're staying. Our house is new and built to current code. It will withstand the winds as long as tornadoes aren't added to the mix.

We'll know tomorrow night whether it was the right decision. As the day has progressed the path has veered more to the west, but only time will tell what it is really going to do.

+1
I really don't get the buy water part.

In an extended power outage the pumps that push water to houses might not work. We didn't buy bottled water. We bought a 10 gallon water jug and filled it which is plenty for the 2 of us. We also filled the bathtub with water so the toilets can be flushed.

+1
I really don't get the buy water part, that is why we have taps, each person uses about 2 gallons per day, which is a lot of water.
Use a teaspoon of bleach and it will kill nearly everything in a gallon of water. Leave it open to the air for 1/2 hour and you won't even taste it.
Canned food will last years. Just keep a manual can opener.

Perhaps you don't "get" the bottled water part because you've never lived through an event which made the tap water for hundreds of thousands of people undrinkable for several days?

Wasn't fun and more complicated if you have a kid in diapers....

Yes, water can be boiled, and few drops of bleach/gal does wonders. When you're living without hot water, fresh food, air conditioning and surveying the damage to your property, not having to disinfect water to quench your thirst is nice :)

Come back after experiencing that and tell us if you have a different opinion about having drinking water on hand.

Last edited:
Come back after experiencing that and tell us if you have a different opinion about having drinking water on hand.
I've lived for weeks without tap and bottled water.

I think you missed the point that tap water is put in containers and used later. Of course one has water for drinking and other purposes.

For some of my water I fill 32-gal food-grade containers with lids and leave them in my showers and bathtubs. That way, I can still take showers (while waiting for storm and tap water supply is still working) and keep the water potable. Also when not filled with water I use them to store out-of-season clothes and/or hurricane supplies.

Plus when no longer needed, a simple tube can be used to siphon out the water and down the drain it goes.

http://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com/rcp/products/detail.jsp?rcpNum=2632

Last edited:
If you have a home in the Villages, what do you think is going to happen? Does anyone know how high above sea level their home is? Will rivers rise with the storm surge or just with rain? How much rain is predicted? Where?
For Harvey, the predictions were within inches. How much for Irma?Are ALL the highways blocked the way the news channel show?
./.
Am all in favor of warnings, and not underplaying the dangers, but why aren't the concerns of the vast majority of residents being addressed? Are Florida residents unable to understand?
Getting back on topic, while it is easy to symphatiize with the OP concern, the forcast for the next 48 hours has changed dramatically over the past 24 hours, because Mz. Irma, suddenly and unpredictably, changed course. And she may do so again. The storm surge in Ft Lauderdale, or rainfall in The Villages, simply cannot be foretold with greater accuracy unless someone finds a way to forecast where exactly she will be, and what wind speed she will carry.

Until then we all will continue to get "worst case" forecasts for specific aspects, such as rainfall, surge, wind, etc, but without the precision the OP desires. Meanwhile, the national cable news will probably continue to air mostly drama that is visually arresting but not useful for any of us.

I think you missed the point that tap water is put in containers and used later. Of course one has water for drinking and other purposes.

For some of my water I fill 32-gal food-grade containers with lids and leave them in my showers and bathtubs. That way, I can still take showers (while waiting for storm and tap water supply is still working) and keep the water potable. Also when not filled with water I use them to store out-of-season clothes and/or hurricane supplies.

Plus when no longer needed, a simple tube can be used to siphon out the water and down the drain it goes.

Rubbermaid Commercial Products - Rubbermaid Waste : 2632 32 Gallon BRUTE® Container

Note that having the containers does mean thinking in advance. Actually one place to look for parts of the hurricane kit is camping supply areas. They feature things like collapsible water containers and the like. As to hot water if you buy a propane camp stove you can get hot water as well, just put some in a pan and onto the stove. Note if you have a gas grill you can also put pans on it. (If you have a gas stove you might check if it works without electricity then you have a way to heat water) A teakettle might be a good idea. (I remember its use at my grand parents house which never had running water, you fill it heat the water and use as needed.
Camping supply places also have off grid showers as well.

Note that having the containers does mean thinking in advance.
Right. This thread does have "Dumbing down" in its title.

So if you go to the grocery store / Costco / Walmart and find all the bottled water gone, do you think Home Depot or Lowes will have all their Brute containers gone?

BTW, a decent camp stove is $15 and the gas canisters are about $4 in our area and store indefinitely, so one can get a few of them and toss them in their Brute container until the next disaster.

But don't forget to learn how to use them and practice ahead of time, too.

And I wouldn't waste my water on a shower.

Last edited:

Rubbermaid Commercial Products - Rubbermaid Waste : 2632 32 Gallon BRUTE® Container

I got the point, and used containers throughout the 2004-5 seasons, plus a camp stove, bbq grill, Engel DC portable fridge, a portable absorption unit cooler and a portable generator.

It is work to be prepared, and to manage a family with young kids under those conditions. Having some bottled water on hand makes it simpler.

You know the issue of blaming the media is really a cop-out.

The ONLY media that has no skin in the game is the U.S. Weather Service. They provide thorough and complete analysis, include cogent explanations. They have no senior management attempting to manage to a profit, therefore, they stick to facts, not assumptions.

The rest of the media gets all of their information from the federal government sponsored and supported outlet, and then, to meet the demands of senior management, they edit it to manage a profit from the news cycle. Sorry, to spill the beans, but that's the deal.

Every county has an emergency management group and they do publish on web sites, on emergence radio channels, and will interrupt television broadcasts with what every citizen should know. Blaming the "mainstream news media" serves no purpose. You get it free, you get what you pay for. You get weather news and analysis from the U.S. Weather Service because you pay taxes, and they do a far better job the the freebie guys.

I Having some bottled water on hand makes it simpler.
Of course it does. That's why we put tap water into plastic bottles that we always seem to have around.

Note that having the containers does mean thinking in advance. Actually one place to look for parts of the hurricane kit is camping supply areas. They feature things like collapsible water containers and the like. As to hot water if you buy a propane camp stove you can get hot water as well, just put some in a pan and onto the stove. Note if you have a gas grill you can also put pans on it. (If you have a gas stove you might check if it works without electricity then you have a way to heat water) A teakettle might be a good idea. (I remember its use at my grand parents house which never had running water, you fill it heat the water and use as needed.
Camping supply places also have off grid showers as well.

I might say that having visited my grandparents house many times while growing up it makes it easier to see how to live without. It was on a farm built in 1910. They also had a cistern that filled with rainwater or purchased water for the kitchen. You got hot water from a teakettle. They had upgraded from a wood stove to a propane stove so that made cooking a whole lot easier. The old wood stove had a container on the side where you could put water in and it would get hot if the stove was lit. They needed the cistern because it was an area with shallow coal beds and the ground water contained sulphur. (The place was dug up in the early 1970s, and this was part of the reason they did not upgrade to at least some running water in the 1950s. )

First, let me say that I completely agree with everything that FlaGator has said. His observations are spot-on in my opinion. My wife bought a case of water two weeks ago before Irma had a name, and suggested that we top off both cars with gas. I thought she was overly cautious, but she was absolutely correct. And her approach did not create a shortage.

Since then, we have watched the weather observations closely, since we own and live in a home on the west coast of Florida. I also worked on the design, production, and launch of the GOES weather instruments, so I find much of this interesting from a technical perspective.

We have learned a lot in the process, and we continue to learn as we experience Irma. Next time, we hope to be more prepared with our home, dog, and MIL.

In 1983, when I was 23, Tropical Storm Barry was headed directly at me. I lived on the fifth floor of a barrier island, with a bedroom facing the hurricane. 60 mph winds were rattling the large windows. My roommate, who was about 40, assured me that he lived through David in 1979, and this would not be a problem. So I went to bed, slept well, and woke up to a Barry that fizzled out when it hit land. It did regenerate and strengthened to a hurricane after crossing Florida, and destroyed hundreds of homes in Mexico. At the time, I had no dependents, and nothing really scared me. Plus, my roommate was right – 60 mph winds, if they stay at that level, is usually not life threatening.

However, now, at age 57, I have witnessed various weather disasters. I am well aware of the differences between a category 1 and a category 5 hurricane. I have the time, money, and knowledge to make the safest decisions, along with my wife, for ourselves, our dog, and MIL.

My wife and I have studied the data and information from the National Hurricane Center at National Hurricane Center. We supplement that with our local weather meteorologist, Denis Phillips. He has been outstanding, and has worked at all hours to provide us with up to date information. In the end, everyone makes their own decisions, based on their personal risk analysis or lack thereof.

There are certainly two extremes of people, and of course many in between. One extreme panics and the other extreme buries their heads in the sand. I witnessed the panic set in 5 days before Irma was predicted to hit – and this was when they still thought it was going to hit the other coast. While me and the car in front of me waited patiently to exit Ace Hardware on to Main Street, two cars passed us and jumped the curb to go around us. Amazing. Then the other extreme are those that “know” that the hurricane will turn, because they always do that around here. I recently saw a spaghetti diagram of the paths of all hurricanes in the last 150 years, and the entire state of Florida looked like a plate of spaghetti, minus the meatballs . Our 90 year old neighbor told us that hurricanes don’t hit our area because blah, blah, blah. I know a devastating hurricane hit in 1921 that split Hog Island into two islands, now called Caladesi Island and Honeymoon Island. But of course, people are willing to ignore that little fact.

Then there is the group of overly concerned family and friends. I spent a fair amount of time listening to and replying to messages to “get out now!”. Even a friend from Germany sent a headline and story from Germany that was over the top.

Early last week, my wife and I were having our typical post 5:00 am NHC report analysis. Yes, we have been getting up around 5:00 to update yesterday’s evacuation plans. After her caffeine had kicked in, and I thought she was ready for a technical question, I asked her if she had come across any definitions and analysis of the Cone of Uncertainty that predicts the path of the hurricane. From my statistics and six sigma work, and knowledge that the smart people at NOAA are, I assumed that there must be some defined uncertainty. Since she didn’t know, and I had exceeded her desires for a 6:00 am math class, I did a quick google search. What I found was a little surprising. The cone only represents 2/3 of hurricanes, and only the path of the eye. From the NHC, “Historical data indicate that the entire 5-day path of the center of the tropical cyclone will remain within the cone about 60-70% of the time.” Wow, so I didn’t tell my wife that, but she did discover this truth a couple days later. Seems like a lot of possibility on the outside of the cone. 2/3 is only one sigma. Seems 2 sigma (95%) or 3 sigma (99.7%) would be more encompassing, but maybe the cone would be so large that more people would panic and evacuate.

Sorry about the long post, but it’s been a long two weeks. Just sitting here at Disney hotel, watching the wind and rain pick up. Take care everyone :)

Just hoping my Buds in KW are OK. The drastic observations of the FLA attorney general that the Keys are wiped out don't help. I'm hoping that its just proclamations by some attention getting politician.

I'm enjoying the CNN hurricane coverage. Especially Florida where the storm goes up the east coast and there is flooding on the west coast. The Naples feed with the eye and the changing winds was very informative.

I learned a lot.

I'm enjoying the CNN hurricane coverage. Especially Florida where the storm goes up the east coast and there is flooding on the west coast. The Naples feed with the eye and the changing winds was very informative.

I learned a lot.

I stumbled on that this morning and am still watching it. Those guys in Naples did a great job. You can see the corner from where they were reporting on Google street view. They were on the second floor balcony above the Chase Bank at 5th and Park. Watching the intensity increase as the eye wall approached was amazing. As good or better than a storm chaser.

Haven't found any good video from the Keys yet. Looks like everything east and northeast of where the eye crossed was damaged.

Perhaps you don't "get" the bottled water part because you've never lived through an event which made the tap water for hundreds of thousands of people undrinkable for several days?

Wasn't fun and more complicated if you have a kid in diapers....

Yes, water can be boiled, and few drops of bleach/gal does wonders. When you're living without hot water, fresh food, air conditioning and surveying the damage to your property, not having to disinfect water to quench your thirst is nice :)

Actually we just spent nearly 30 days on an island with No electricity, No running water, No A/C and No heating, and used a wood stove or BBQ to cook plus a small propane stove.

For water we used the following 5 gal container , which we filled from a free well.

People don't need to buy water, they just need to fill containers with water..

th

Actually we just spent nearly 30 days on an island with No electricity, No running water, No A/C and No heating, and used a wood stove or BBQ to cook plus a small propane stove.

For water we used the following 5 gal container , which we filled from a free well.

People don't need to buy water, they just need to fill containers with water..

th

And that was entirely your choice to live that way.

Choosing to live in a hurricane-prone place like Florida brings risks, and responsibilities when the risks become reality. While I accepted those risks, and did my best to prepare, the reality of life in a marginally functioning society is a bit different.

Individual needs, like mine with a 15 month old, or an elderly parent, make it more challenging. Will gladly take a couple of cases of water to get me through a few difficult days in lieu of a quality back country water filter. Horses for courses. Hope your young child or aged mother doesn't need to depend on output from a filter to stay hydrated when there are (would have been, with foresight) low cost, ready alternatives available.

I'm done debating this with people who have shown no understanding that the world they live in can change dramatically in a few hours, and have no appreciation that a few "luxuries" can make things easier when that happens.

And that was entirely your choice to live that way.

Choosing to live in a hurricane-prone place like Florida brings risks, and responsibilities when the risks become reality. While I accepted those risks, and did my best to prepare, the reality of life in a marginally functioning society is a bit different.

Individual needs, like mine with a 15 month old, or an elderly parent, make it more challenging. Will gladly take a couple of cases of water to get me through a few difficult days in lieu of a quality back country water filter. Horses for courses. Hope your young child or aged mother doesn't need to depend on output from a filter to stay hydrated when there are (would have been, with foresight) low cost, ready alternatives available.

I'm done debating this with people who have shown no understanding that the world they live in can change dramatically in a few hours, and have no appreciation that a few "luxuries" can make things easier when that happens.

+1

Back
Top Bottom