Watched "Some Kind of Heaven" about The Villages. Any Other Similar Videos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I watched the docudrama, "Some Kind of Heaven" which followed the lives of four people in The Villages, Florida. I thought it would be more about The Villages--what it is, how it grew, what it's like to live there--and not a story about the trials and tribulations of four of its residents. Other than the wife of the drug addict, I hope most residents are not these types of dysfunctional people. Actually, the video was kind of boring and depressing. I will say that the director had a good eye for cinematography, as there were some nice shots of the area.

So, is there any other videos or documentaries about planned over 55+ retirement communities? I'm not looking for promotional videos from the communities themselves but perhaps some independent description and review videos of what its like to live in one of these.

YouTube is likely the best source.

+1

I have zero interest in living in The Villages, but have heard of some people who seem to like it. I was curious enough to watch a couple of (unsponsored) short videos about 6 months ago.

I randomly chanced upon YouTube videos by a lady from Michigan who 'snowbirds' in The Villages with her husband. Both seem late 50's-early 60s in age. She was filming several videos of The Villages. She was driving a golf cart from neighborhood to neighborhood, then stopping to visit the local clubhouse plus, any outdoor activity nearby (usually a rock-type band with some folks dancing and others sitting nearby enjoying the lovely weather and music).

One thing that amazed me was the amount of traffic onsite! There are miles of 'roads' dedicated to golf carts, that have their own overpasses to 'fly over' the freeways. IIRC, these were roads to take you to the major shopping areas onsite as well as other far-flung neighborhoods. Due to the immense population of The Villages, these were often terribly crowded (bumper to bumper). And from what the videographer reported, they seem to be this way much of the time.

Um, no thanks. YMMV.

omni

Yup, lots of traffic in the Villages, especially in the winter. 2k+ clubs are intriguing.
However being among only elderly folks 100% of the time is not for me, plus the overwhelming one sided politics wouldn't work either.

+1

I have zero interest in living in The Villages, but have heard of some people who seem to like it. I was curious enough to watch a couple of (unsponsored) short videos about 6 months ago.

I randomly chanced upon YouTube videos by a lady from Michigan who 'snowbirds' in The Villages with her husband. Both seem late 50's-early 60s in age. She was filming several videos of The Villages. She was driving a golf cart from neighborhood to neighborhood, then stopping to visit the local clubhouse plus, any outdoor activity nearby (usually a rock-type band with some folks dancing and others sitting nearby enjoying the lovely weather and music).

One thing that amazed me was the amount of traffic onsite! There are miles of 'roads' dedicated to golf carts, that have their own overpasses to 'fly over' the freeways. IIRC, these were roads to take you to the major shopping areas onsite as well as other far-flung neighborhoods. Due to the immense population of The Villages, these were often terribly crowded (bumper to bumper). And from what the videographer reported, they seem to be this way much of the time.

Um, no thanks. YMMV.

omni
I may have watched the same videos awhile back. I seem to remember that drunk golf cart driving was a big issue as well.

Yup, lots of traffic in the Villages, especially in the winter. 2k+ clubs are intriguing.
However being among only elderly folks 100% of the time is not for me, plus the overwhelming one sided politics wouldn't work either.
It's not all elderly people living there, and some people aren't happy about having young people living there. I have relatives that live there.

It's not all elderly people living there, and some people aren't happy about having young people living there. I have relatives that live there.

True, I guess they allow up to 20% younger than 55.

I believe that’s required by law for all 55+ communities. I’m not sure of the % required. It may vary by state.

It definitely does. Our VA 55+ community doesn't allow any under 55 people, unless they're over 18 and living with the owner. Them's the rules, but enforcement is a different issue. Doesn't bother us either way. We bought the floorplan and location. I didn't even realize it was 55+ until well into the purchase process.

Check out "The Newcomers" channel on YouTube. They produce 2 videos a week devoted to "all things The Villages". They are not realtors. They cover the good, the bad and the middle ground. They live there year round. Gerry and Linda are very authentic.

I recommend a book called "Leisureville" on Amazon. It paints an interesting picture of the management and developers. as well as the residents

Watch Jerry and Linda - The Villages Florida Newcomers. They are so sweet and put out good videos of everything The Villages.

Thanks...but no thanks!

+1 My health and brain has to be at a point where I won't care or know where I am. The only exception is if my wife needs more help than what I am capable of providing.

Cheers!

Lets call a spade a spade, the Villages is nothing more than a nice reservation for the baby boomer generation who want to live among their own kind. Nothing wrong with that just not something that appeals to everyone.

Lets call a spade a spade, the Villages is nothing more than a nice reservation for the baby boomer generation who want to live among their own kind. Nothing wrong with that just not something that appeals to everyone.

I've got a friend who lives there in the winter (Vermont is home). So do many of her family members. I suppose it would be OK but my concern is that at some point your health will deteriorate no matter what you do to prevent it and you're there in FL with no family support (assuming you moved there from somewhere else). I've seen that happen with friends who relocated at retirement and then they expect their adult kids to rush to FL or wherever to tend to them. I'm not going to do that to DS and DDIL, who are firmly stuck in Des Moines.

I read that when people get older and need help they end up moving back by the kids.

STDs (overstated?), drugs & alcohol and ultra partisanship, what’s not to like?

https://www.tampabay.com/news/healt...villages-known-as-the-std-capital-of-america/

https://www.thebulwark.com/old-white-and-right-the-politics-of-the-villages/

https://villagesmagaclub.org/

I am sure there’s good and bad, as with anywhere…

DW and I have no interest in living with seniors exclusively. I’d get tired of the medical stories, intractable politics and ‘get off my lawn’ mindset - but that would be “heaven” for some seniors.

Last edited:
I read that when people get older and need help they end up moving back by the kids.

In many countries, that's a cultural thing and expected.

I'm alone now, and probably will be for the foreseeable future. If I get where I need help, I'll deal with it then. My 44 year old daughter took care of her mother (my ex) near her end, and I would guess she would be helpful to me, if I needed that someday. But I am not going to rely on that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom