Elizabeth Edwards

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
Elizabeth Edwards died of cancer today at only 61. Yesterday she posted on Facebook:

You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces ? my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined.

The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful.

I met her for a few minutes last year at a conference. She seemed like a strong woman but clearly struggling on several fronts (and who wouldn't given the circumstances).

She had an ability to see humor in tragedy: she related having noted a lump on her scalp and was panicking thinking it was a recurrence of her breast cancer. She called her daughter who came over right away, checked the area and started giggling. Turns out Elizabeth burned her scalp a week prior with one of those torture machines women sometimes use to curl their hair, and even mentioned it then to her daughter. She just forgot. In the telling of it, she enjoyed a good laugh.

Elizabeth Edwards was a class act; she demonstrated tremendous courage in her fight with cancer and in dealing with the public disclosure of her husband's private infidelities. She deserved better on both fronts.:(

Very sad to hear this. She showed such strength in the face of adversity.

It would be tough enough to have cancer, but to have her illness and all the other family dramas constantly performed in front of the media can't have been easy. Makes you wonder when should someone's personal business become off limits for a media headline.

Sorry to hear about it.... but I am also wondering why it seemed to be such a big deal last night on the news... her claim to fame was being married to a successful lawyer who also ran for office... I have not heard anything that she did on her own... nothing important...

Deserving woman, seriously ill, scorned in her time of greatest need and vulnerability by a blow dried pretty boy twit, who also happened to be a lawyer/politician/presidential candidate, who has what is described as a love child with his new lover- this is news squared!

News is rarely about modern incarnations of Madame Curie. :)

Ha

The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

This is the part that really struck a chord with me. I can appreciate her grace and strength in the face of great personal tragedy on so many fronts.

Sorry to hear about it.... but I am also wondering why it seemed to be such a big deal last night on the news... her claim to fame was being married to a successful lawyer who also ran for office... I have not heard anything that she did on her own... nothing important...

She was an advocate on health care issues and worked on Obama's team on health care reform. Amongst other things.

Sorry to hear of her passing.

She faced many challenges during her battle with cancer.

She was a successful attorney in her own right who clerked for a Federal Judge, worked in a law office and later an attorney generals office. She taught, was mother to four children, authored two best sellers, worked to advocate for causes that resonated for her and lead a fishbowl public life. Which part wasn't important?

Elizabeth Edwards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I imagine she would have been happy to trade any of the events in her life that thrust her into the spotlight. RIP.

I see that she plans to be buried near her and John's son. The boy looks almost exactly like John.

Ha

In part because she was thrust in the public spotlight while dealing with cancer and an affair by her husband. They way she handled herself and her adversities, with dignity and class, caused a lot of people to admire her.

unfortunately, the crazy group westboro baptist assholes are planning to protest, there is a local grass roots effort to crowd them out along the funeral procession - i'll be there as part of the grass roots effort

unfortunately, the crazy group westboro baptist assholes are planning to protest, there is a local grass roots effort to crowd them out along the funeral procession - i'll be there as part of the grass roots effort

How any group can be that insensitive to picket at a funeral is beyond me ?

In the old days there would have been no conflict. The idiots could have their 1st amendment rights, and the rest of us could beat the crap out of them, and the police could be busy in another part of town.

Problem over.

Ha

Unfortunately I'm aware of this group too. :nonono:

I'm proud of you F-One. :flowers:

I thought the god worshiped by these nutcases was mad at the US and killed soldiers because we haven't responded strongly enough to homosexuality. Is He now causing women to have cancer, too?

I wonder if these jerks fly to their little hauntings. TSA could instantly redeem themselves with the American people if they assured each one got a thorough "pat-up" inspection every time they tried to board a plane. So sure of what He wants and their imminent great reward, they are a greater security risk than some guy wearing a dishdasha.

I thought the god worshiped by these nutcases was mad at the US and killed soldiers because we haven't responded strongly enough to homosexuality. Is He now causing women to have cancer, too?

Elizabeth Edwards also worked for gay rights including the right to marry. I imagine that is why her funeral is attracting these nutjobs.

I wish the press would just stop reporting on these lunatics. It's sort of like the guy who was going to burn the Koran on 911.

In both cases the groups most likely have tiny fringe following yet enjoy world-wide publicity because of their inflammatory tactics.

Elizabeth Edwards also worked for gay rights including the right to marry. I imagine that is why her funeral is attracting these nutjobs.

I cannot bring myself to drop in a link to their website but the press release makes references to her choice to undergo fertility treatments as 'meddling in matters of the womb' among the reasons for the picket. They also recommend to her estranged husband that he burn her writings to her children. Nauseating.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom