Enrolled IRS Agents

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been surfing the web looking into requirements to become an "Enrolled Agent" for tax preparation. I have discovered that I am more sick and demented than I thought, and enjoy doing my own and others' taxes, yes, this includes the necessary research for the "interesting" scenarios, so why not get more training/education and certification. Plus, I hope to have more "interesting scenarios" in my own finances as the years progress.

Are there any EA's here on the board who might talk me into or out of this idea?

as a CPA who chose not to enter the profession I can tell you this.

There is a HUGE difference between enjoying doing your own taxes and doing 300 people's taxes. Ask any EA or CPA who does this full time. I went and saw some of my accountant buddies around March 15th (corporate due date) and they were just totally wiped.

That being said, in most states you don't need to be either a CPA or EA to do taxes, check your local regs.

Whatever you do, don't do the H&R Block course. I enrolled in this course and left after the 1st session which consisted of learning how to fill out the top section, with name etc., filing status and where to put the social security number. No kidding we went over this for hours, there were some people so inept that they could not grasp where the social security number went. I did not attend any further classes because by the end of the first I was ready to kill someone. The scary bit is that dolt is probably now working for H&R Block as a preparer.

DangerMouse said:
... 1st session which consisted of learning how to fill out the top section, with name etc., filing status and where to put the social security number. No kidding we went over this for hours, there were some people so inept that they could not grasp where the social security number went.

H&R Block preparers fill out the forms by hand ?

Back
Top Bottom