ER Forum Cookbook -- Recipe Posting Thread

Last edited:
This is a great forum. Has anyone compiled all the recipes? If not I may give it a go. I took some thick pork chops and stuffed them with boudin and jalapeno jack cheese, browned them in the frying pan and stuck them in the oven this evening. It smells really good in here right now and I'm starving.

Boudin? As in blood sausage?

My mother used to cook blood sausage. We ate PB&J sandwiches when she did :sick:

Pork with Mango Bacon sauce

Saw this on the food network and thought I'd give it a shot:

In a blender:

Mango (1 big one, peeled and cut up)
Bacon (cooked first)
Some onion (to taste)
Chili flakes and/or chili paste (to taste)

Blend and use as a marinade for pork. I suppose it would be good on chicken too.

I used the mix in a crockpot, but I think it would be better in just a casserole.

This was surprisingly simple and very good. I say surprisingly because my idea of cooking is to make Kraft Dinner.

Shrimp Sandwich inspired by NOLA Poor Boy

Simple (no deep fry, no corn-meal) Shrimp Sandwich inspired by the NOLA Shrimp Poor-Boy

Not a replica at all, but something a bit different, easy/quick to make, and delicious in its own way. This was a hit with my whole family. My daughters are very biased against my cooking, and they still liked it!

Shrimp, shelled
Butter/oil for saute
Old Bay or season to taste
Lemon (opt?)
Hoagie style Rolls, some bread pulled from center
ICE-BURG Lettuce (yes, the 'plain' cheap stuff - shred for topping)
Tomato (slice thin for topping)
Pickles (slice thin for topping)

Sauce:
Mayo
Chinese Style Garlic & Chile Sauce (jar) - (or a favorite mustard)

Defrost shrimp, saute/fry in a bit of butter and oil, sprinkling with Old Bay Seasoning. Squeeze some fresh lemon over the shrimp.

Prepare rolls by removing some bread from center. Toast a bit if desired.

Mix Mayo and the Chile paste about 2:1, or to taste.

Let people build their own, adding shrimp, and toppings as they like.

When I first made this, I made up a few different mayo toppings, basically mixing different mustards (yellow, brown, horse-radish) with mayo, and the Chinese sauce with mayo. I use the Lee Kum Kee brand, avail at our regular grocery stores.

Everyone liked the spicy Chinese Mayo the best, so that is all I make now, but you can have some plain mayo, or Mayo and mustard for others.

Enjoy!

- ERD50

Last edited:
Just posted on the rice cooker thread and thought I'd jump in here. I can't believe there are 34387 posts on this cooking thread going back to 1-24-07, started by TromboneAl. I can't read all these posts and just want to find a good recipe for rice. We just boil it in a pan and let it set to absorb the water. Same for white and brown rice. Lot of butter, salt and pepper for taste and that's it. Most times I steam some frozen veggies and mix them together. I like that mixture. I'm looking for some great rice recipies that I can spring on my wife. You know, like I know what I'm doing. Sometimes I cook if she is gone for the day. My favorite is baked chicken Parmasean and I usually do my bland rice on the side. How about help with a great rice dish?

This is simple to make, tastes good, and is a good way to use up some leftover ham.

Skillet Pea, Rice and Ham Casserole
2 Tbsp Butter
1 small Onion, minced
1 cup of Diced Cooked Ham
1 cup Frozen Peas
¾ cup Uncooked Rice
1 ¾ cup Chicken Broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
Grated Cheddar

Sauté Onion in Butter until soft , about 5 minutes.
Add Ham and sauté another 5 minutes.
Stir in Uncooked Rice, Chicken Broth and seasoning.
Reduce heat, cover and cook without stirring until rice is done – 15 to 20 minutes.
Sprinkle Grated Cheddar on top, cover and let stand a few minutes to melt cheese.

My German Grandmother used to serve white rice with cinnamon and butter, it's very good.

Involtini di Pollo

T-Al's brining post reminded me to post tonight's XMas Eve entre. This is quite a tasty dish I got somewhere or another. I am serving it with roast potatoes/onions and roast veggies.:

Involtini di Pollo-Chicken Breast Stuffed with Italian Sausage

Serves: 4
STUFFING
2 bunches fresh baby spinach (stems removed and washed in 2 or 3 changes of cold water)
1 small yellow onion (chopped fine)
2 cloves garlic (chopped fine)
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¾ pound Italian sausage(removed from casing)
½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 egg
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
8 chicken breast halves (skin, bones and cartilage removed)

Place washed spinach, with leaves still wet, in a large pot over medium heat.
Cover pot and steam spinach.
When wilted, drain the spinach through a sieve, and run under cold water to cool completely. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible
Chop fine.
Sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat.
When the onions are translucent, add the sausage.
Stir well to break up the sausage Cook over a medium heat until it loses its pink color.
Add the chopped spinach and cook, stirring for 2 more minutes season to taste with salt and
pepper.
Remove mixture from heat, transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool.
Stir in the grated parmesan and egg.
Mix well.
Taste and season if necessary.
Butterfly each breast half by cutting almost in half horizontally, pound lightly between sheets of plastic wrap to flatten and even.
Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper.
Place approximately 2 tablespoons of the filling in the center of each breast half and roll tightly to enclose the filling.
Place the involtini on a sheet pan
cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
This will help the involtini to hold their shape while cooking.

TO COOK
8 Involtini
all purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup dry Marsala wine
¼ cup chicken stock
1 stick (4 ounces) cold butter, cut into 8 pieces
o Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Heat the butter and the olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper.
Dredge the involtini in flour, shaking off any excess.
Sauté the chicken for 8 to 10 minutes until it is lightly browned on all sides.
Toss in 325 - 350 oven for 20-30 minutes use thermometer (160)
Tilt skillet and drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
Add the Marsala and the chicken stock and cook stirring and scraping the pan to de-glaze.
Let liquid reduce until all but about ¼ cup remains.
Reduce heat to low.
Add cold butter 2 pieces at a time and shake and swirl pan, adding 2 more pieces of butter as the previous addition of butter has melted and the sauce becomes creamy.
Do not raise heat and boil sauce or the sauce will "break".
When all of the butter has been incorporated and the sauce is creamy taste and adjust seasoning.
Place the chicken on a serving platter
Pour sauce over involtini and serve.

Homemade Energy Bites

2 cups oatmeal
1 cup peanut butter or other nut butter
2/3 cup honey
2 cup coconut flakes, wheat germ, sesame seeds, or a mixture of all three (can also substitute oatmeal or protein powder, if you prefer)
1 cup ground flaxseed
1 cup mini chocolate chips
2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix all ingredients together. Roll into balls.

To freeze: Place balls on a cookie sheet and freeze for one to two hours. Remove from cookie sheet and place in an airtight ziptop freezer bag (or other airtight container).

To serve:Remove desired number of balls and thaw at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes. Can also warm for 30 seconds or so in the microwave. Or, you can be impatient like me and eat them straight from the freezer.

Makes around 3 dozen energy bites.

Recipe is cut and pasted from Money Saving Mom blog. We had no chocolate chips, substituted butterscotch. Since i was having a bit of trouble getting them to retain ball shape, i added a couple additional tablespoons of both honey and peanut butter. And yes, i agree, they are great straight out of the freezer.

This won't please the low-carb/no white stuff crowd but it is one of the easiest breads to make, smells heavenly, and is fabulous toasted with butter, jam, or honey. 5 simple ingredients: throw them all together, let rise, bake. A real comfort food.

English Muffin Bread
5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 3/4 cups very warm water
1 1/2 pkgs quick rise yeast
1 T salt
1 1/2 T sugar

Mix together until just moistened. Spoon into two loaf pans. Let rise until double, about 1 hour. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes; for the last 10 minutes of baking brush with melted butter. Cool completely before slicing.

For all of you tomato lovers...a very simple side dish :)
For today's lunch, I made a small salad of fresh homegrown spinach, feta cheese and croutons and placed the tomatoes on the plate alongside the greens.

Marinated Tomatoes

3 large very ripe red tomatoes
Italian salad dressing
fresh basil leaves
fresh ground black pepper (and crushed hot red pepper if you like some zip)
Sealable plastic or glass container

Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick, using a serrated knife. Leave seeds and pulp intact.
Pour a small amount of dressing on bottom of container.
Place 1 layer of tomatoes, add enough dressing to cover. Pinch and roll basil leaves between thumb and forefinger, and place 2 or 3 pieces on each tomato slice. Grind a generous amount of black pepper on top. If using hot red pepper, add to taste. Place 2nd layer of tomatoes, repeat dressing, basil and pepper. Repeat layering for all remaining tomatoes. Make sure the top layer has dressing covering it.
Cover tightly and marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 days.
Serve cold as a side dish with salad greens. The marinade can be used for the greens.

Last edited:
Tonight's feast was Limb Chicken a la Francais:

Take 3 limb chickens cut into serving pieces and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Brown in a generous amount of olive oil with a dozen crushed cloves of garlic. Add 1 pint of white wine, a tsp of rosemary, 2 tsp of thyme and a small pinch of saffron. Cover and simmer until tender.

This recipe would work with a regular chicken (or two) that had been skinned. Should be a good dish for rabbit, too.

Tonight's feast was Limb Chicken a la Francais:

Take 3 limb chickens cut into serving pieces and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Brown in a generous amount of olive oil with a dozen crushed cloves of garlic. Add 1 pint of white wine, a tsp of rosemary, 2 tsp of thyme and a small pinch of saffron. Cover and simmer until tender.

This recipe would work with a regular chicken (or two) that had been skinned. Should be a good dish for rabbit, too.

Hey, Doc, I HEARD that.

Attachments

• BugsBunny.jpg
    BugsBunny.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 243
I had never heard of Limb Chickens so I Googled it....squirrel?

I guess that would explain the large quantities of wine and garlic?

Pardon my ignorance, Brewer, but if you shot the squirrels, how do you get the buckshot out?

Disclaimer: I hunt, too, but in stores..... ;)

Pardon my ignorance, Brewer, but if you shot the squirrels, how do you get the buckshot out?

Actually, I have made sciurus niger several ways, including as a stand in for hare/rabbit in hassenpfeffer. Next up is limb chicken pot pie.

I like lots of wine and garlic, generally speaking. It isn't to cover up the flavor of the squirrels. Actually, the reason people refer to it as limb chicken is that the meat is a lot like dark chicken or turkey meat (I think it is closest to rabbit, personally). DD has told me (and many other people outside our house, to DW's chagrin) that squirrel is her favorite food. Hey, it is organic, free range, low impact protein.

For preference, I use a .22 rifle and take headshots (no wasted meat). Where I hunt most often does not allow the use of anything but shotguns (it is very flat and if you missed with a rifle the bullet could go for a mile or more and hat anything). There I use #5 birdshot. It is potent enough to knock the chickens out of the huge cottonwood trees there and the shot usually exits the critter. I also aim for the head, although with a shotgun that is an intention rather than a reality sometimes). I then look the meat over carefully as I clean them and prepare the dish. I was using smaller sizes of shot, but it left the meat kind of "crunchy."

If someone offers you fox or gray squirrel, try it. Its quite tasty.

I'm going to have to warm up to the notion of preparing any recipe that begins with "shoot three squirrels in the head".

I'm going to have to warm up to the notion of preparing any recipe that begins with "shoot three squirrels in the head".

Well, like I said, it should work nicely with a skinned supermarket chicken.

Back
Top Bottom