Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Irish stew and beef stew?
I believe that Irish stew is made with mutton or perhaps lamb.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The best lime pie I've ever had...

Filling:
Juice of 5-6 limes (6 key limes if you want it tart, 5 regular limes if you want it sweeter)
3 teaspoons grated lime zest (zest from about 3-4 limes)
5 large egg yolks (or 6 small)
1 14oz can plus additional 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk

Crust:
1 1/2 cup finely crushed graham crackers
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter at room temperature
1 teaspoon almond extract

Topping:
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 325 F.

Put yolks in a large bowl and whisk in zest - about 2-3 minutes (slightly frothy). Slowly stir in milk and then lime juice. Put aside.

In a smaller bowl, mix the graham crackers with the sugars. Cut in butter. Sprinkle in almond extract and combine well. Press into a 9" pie pan. Be sure to press up on the sides as well.

Bake the crust for 12 minutes. Cool slightly

Heat oven to 350 F.

Pour filling into pie shell. Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven. Cool. Refrigerate until chilled (3-4 hours).

Using an electric mixer (or just whisk really fast), whip heavy cream until it starts to solidify and slowly whip in sugar. Top pie and serve.

I've got a pie chilling right now where I added some cinnamon to the crust. I think that'll give it a nice edge but will report back after due tasting. To make it easy on yourself, just get the graham cracker crumbs predone. To really save time, just get a pre-made crust.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #163
Dryer sheet wannabe

Im gonna have to try some of these!
Alec-Eldifrawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #164

Oh, about 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (I think... I usually don't measure stuff) added a nice complexity to the crust. That's now my ammended recipe. I'm guessing that switching lemon for lime would be pretty tasty as well.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:11 AM   #165

I like your Mexican Pork Chops recipe Miss LaLa. Heres mine:

BBQ Baked Pork Chops

Place thick cut chop on foil.
Layer on 1 vidalia onion slice, 1 piece green pepper, 1 pineapple ring.
Add one pat of butter in center of pineapple ring and top with 1 teaspoon teriaki sauce.
Wrap foil tightly and place on hot grill for 8-10 minutes.

I usually do 4 chops, all wrapped individually. They cook fast. Its easy to overcook them. Its great the way the flavors blend together. Serve and top with the juices. I always try to get a picture, but they disappear way too fast.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #166

pardon the food-related yet noncookbook item. seemed worthy of mention but not of it's own thread.

restaurant recommendation: Pei Wei Asian Diner

brother & sil introduced me to it last week. been craving their thai dynamite tofu & veggi dish for two days now. problem is i just had to drive 30 miles round trip for some, so of course i got two orders. i was pretty sure the cops would understand me doing 80 on the interstate if they just opened my trunk and took a whiff. "but officer, i have chinese!" just finished the first batch. wish i bought more. soooo good.

this is a fast food version of pf chang's, the parent company. they plan to open about five or so satellite pei wei's in the area of existing pf changs. try it if you've got one. enjoy.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
awesome pork chop recipe
Old 09-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #167

awesome pork chop recipe

I cleaned out my cupboards recently and found a can of cranberry sauce that I needed to use up. So, I went searching for a recipe to use it in and found this:

Skillet Cranberry Pork Chops - Cranberry Pork Chop Recipe

It's soooooooooooo good! I forgot to add the ketchup, and I think I'll keep it that way as it came out perfect. The sauce is slightly sweet but not overbearing and the chops come out so tender since they cook in the sauce a long time.

This is a definite keeper. DH was only going to have a few bites since he was too full from eating a late lunch...but loved it so much he ate the whole chop.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

I have a similar thing I make but with a lot less ingredients...I think it ends up with the same base components...

I use a large can of mandarin oranges and a bottle of heinz 57 sauce, over either pork chops or chicken. I bake the chops/chicken in the oven until they're about 75% done while I'm simmering the two sauce components in a saucepan until its starting to thicken...pour over the chops/chicken and finish baking.

Probably somewhat less tart than that cranberry version. Pretty good for easy/instant food.

Cranberry sauce is also really good as a condiment on cold turkey/chicken sandwiches. Just smear a bunch on the bread. Please leave off the mayo.

For most pork/fowl dishes you can make a nice sauce with any jam/preserves thinned in a pan with wine, maybe a dash or two of soy sauce and/or vinegar. Alternative is any dried fruit simmered in the wine until tender with a little soy sauce. Quality of the wine is irrelevant. Pork tenderloin is pretty boring on its own...with a little cherry or raisin red wine sauce its pretty dang tasty...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I cleaned out my cupboards recently and found a can of cranberry sauce that I needed to use up. So, I went searching for a recipe to use it in and found this:

Skillet Cranberry Pork Chops - Cranberry Pork Chop Recipe

It's soooooooooooo good! I forgot to add the ketchup, and I think I'll keep it that way as it came out perfect. The sauce is slightly sweet but not overbearing and the chops come out so tender since they cook in the sauce a long time.

This is a definite keeper. DH was only going to have a few bites since he was too full from eating a late lunch...but loved it so much he ate the whole chop.
Mmmmm! That really does sound good! I printed it out, and will give it a try sometime soon! Thanks!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
this is a fast food version of pf chang's, the parent company. they plan to open about five or so satellite pei wei's in the area of existing pf changs. try it if you've got one. enjoy.
PF Changs is another one with a gluten-free menu. I'm not sure about Pei-Wei though. Sort of doubt it.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Pei Wei is really, really good. One of Gabes favorite places to eat. Cheap kids meals...its like $4 for a kid portion of rice or noodles and ginger or teriyaki chicken and a drink.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Need gravy recipe.....
Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

Need gravy recipe.....

....for chicken fried steak. Sausage gravy would be ok, but I've had white gravies without sausage that seemed better for ***. Red-eye?-isn't that ham based? How do you get enough fat for the roux?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

I use a lot of butter and bacon grease in my red-eye gravy--plus the strong brewed coffee to stretch it out. Best served over shrimp and grits, though.

Honestly I've never been able to make real diner ***, that is why I often order it in places that look likely to have a good one. But this sure is making me hungry!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I use a lot of butter and bacon grease in my red-eye gravy
My arteries are congealing in a wonderful way just reading this.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I use a lot of butter and bacon grease in my red-eye gravy--plus the strong brewed coffee to stretch it out. Best served over shrimp and grits, though.
Wow, you have almost all of the basic food groups mentioned there! Butter, bacon grease, coffee, shrimp, and grits! Add in some cheese, garlic, onions, and hot peppers, and you'd really have the bases covered!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Fry your steaks in a cast iron pan and then pour off all but a couple of tablespoons of the oil and leave as much of the browned bits of stuff in there as possible.

Reheat the oil until its medium hot, then add about 3 tablespoons of flour. Stir continuously until the flour starts to brown a bit. Mix 3/4 cup milk with 3/4 cup water and add that to the roux while continuing to stir, mush out any lumps and continue cooking until smooth and at a simmer. Add salt, pepper to taste and pour over the ***.

Another nice version is to add some chunks of onion to the gravy while you're stirring and delumping it, then remove the onion after its simmered in there for a few minutes.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:53 AM   #177
Full time employment: Posting here.

I tried to make Falafel last night,followed the recipe to a tee but when i dropped the falafel balls in the deep fryer they all fell apart,what the heck did i do wrong?:confused:
Old 09-23-2008, 07:03 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Oil not hot enough, Jambo. I made that mistake on my first batch of hush puppies. Gotta be hot enough that when you flick water on the surface that it pops at you! And carefully lower them into the oil with a slotted spoon.

*** gravy, etc
Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

*** gravy, etc

Thanks Sarah & CFB. I do remember someone telling me that coffee was in their gravy. I'll be experimenting. How about the ham-based red-eye?

Next week we'll be visiting MIL in Colorado. One thing I always like about these visits is going to Sunday breakfast at the Elk's. Price is around $6, menu has all the usual goodies, everything to order. You get a menu sheet on which you write your name, then circle everything you want - no restrictions, with space for further instructions.
I usually start with a really good Bloody Mary ($2.50 extra), then an omelet of some sort, or maybe 2 fried w/ a porky treat, with *** & gravy on the side, biscuits, hash browns (the shredded type, which on FIL's advice I order deep fried), plus there are usually bowls of red & green chili on the table to provide further interest.

I'm psyched!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I dice up country ham (the really salty kind can be washed first) and put that in there, but since it is more lean than regular bacon, I add bacon grease as well. Yum!