Euthanasia scene in "Million Dollar Baby"

Well, since I was off this afternoon :D, I finally got around to seeing this movie. I thought it was excellent, well-acted and especially well-written. After C-T made such a fuss about the euthanasia scene, I was prepared to duck it, but it was not bad at all. Given the circumstances, I would have done the same. The writing was good, because she could not do it herself, creating the dramatic tension that most movie directors want. Of course, since Terry Schiavo, the governor would probably have arrested Clint. Go ahead, Make my Day, inject her big boy and we'll soon inject you! I'm amazed at how good a director Clint Eastwood really is! Now, that's someone who should not retire. So, I would give the movie 450 voter ballot hanging chads, 500 being the most you can get.

Eagle43 said:
Well, since I was off this afternoon  :D, I finally got around to seeing this movie.  I thought it was excellent, well-acted and especially well-written. After C-T made such a fuss about the euthanasia scene, I was prepared to duck it, but it was not bad at all.  Given the circumstances, I would have done the same.  The writing was good, because she could not do it herself, creating the dramatic tension that most movie directors want.  Of course, since Terry Schiavo, the governor would probably have arrested Clint.  Go ahead, Make my Day, inject her big boy and we'll soon inject you! I'm amazed at how good a director Clint Eastwood really is!  Now, that's someone who should not retire.  So, I would give the movie 450 voter ballot hanging chads, 500 being the most you can get.

Here is my take on Clint. As an actor he made some real stinkers. But, when
he had total control...well, I can't think of a really bad movie under those
conditions. Plus, he is a renaissance man (composing, etc.) A real
talent although his hormones got a bit out of control at times. I have
empathy.

JG

Eagle43 said:
Well, since I was off this afternoon  :D, I finally got around to seeing this movie.  I thought it was excellent, well-acted and especially well-written. After C-T made such a fuss about the euthanasia scene, I was prepared to duck it, but it was not bad at all.  Given the circumstances, I would have done the same.  The writing was good, because she could not do it herself, creating the dramatic tension that most movie directors want.  Of course, since Terry Schiavo, the governor would probably have arrested Clint.  Go ahead, Make my Day, inject her big boy and we'll soon inject you! I'm amazed at how good a director Clint Eastwood really is!  Now, that's someone who should not retire.  So, I would give the movie 450 voter ballot hanging chads, 500 being the most you can get.

Now, if you want to see a movie that is much better than this one, go see "Cinderella Man" - based on a true story and better in every way than Mil $ Baby. - Gives a great view of the depression.

I finally got around to seeing this movie just this past weekend. I'll risk wrath here to say I thought it stunk. Oh, Clint, his sidekick and Ms. Multiple Oscar did a fine job, as always, but the story was just too "beat you down" for me. The white trash family was just a little too cliche, and the final fight blew even my best attempt at supsension of disbelief. No one gets away with dirty tricks like that in this day and age.

Cut-Throat said:
I would have done the same thing if I were in either characters position.

So, you're saying that if you were paralyzed from the neck down but still had 100% brain function, you'd want somebody to take you out? Not me. It doesn't sound much different than the state I'm in when surfing the net (or working at a desk job). It would definately put a damper on my outdoor activities, but I think I could adapt.

MRGALT2U said:
Plus, he is a renaissance man (composing, etc.) A real
talent although his hormones got a bit out of control at times. I have
empathy. JG
Eight kids with five different women, some of whom he was married to and some while he was married to others. A real paragon of virtue.

Luckily I choose his films for the caliber of their ammunition, not their direction.

wabmester said:
So, you're saying that if you were paralyzed from the neck down but still had 100% brain function, you'd want somebody to take you out?    Not me.   It doesn't sound much different than the state I'm in when surfing the net (or working at a desk job).   It would definately put a damper on my outdoor activities, but I think I could adapt.
Christopher Reeves. Stephen Hawking. And millions of others paralyzed, missing limbs, or dealing with ALS. If my only choice was to die then I'd want to be free to make that choice for as many days as possible.

Wab, could you come explain your philosophy to my spouse? Suddenly she's kinda vague on exactly who she purchased the 9mm healthcare policy for...

wabmester said:
So, you're saying that if you were paralyzed from the neck down but still had 100% brain function, you'd want somebody to take you out?    Not me.   It doesn't sound much different than the state I'm in when surfing the net (or working at a desk job).   It would definately put a damper on my outdoor activities, but I think I could adapt.

As valuable as my brain is :), I would want out. I've been here 60
years and had a lot of fun and adventures. Way too active to sit and
pontificate and I wouldn't want to be dependent. Nope, the
Hemingway exit has great appeal under certain conditions.

JG

wabmester said:

Absolutely! - I'm not a good patient.

MRGALT2U said:
Way too active to sit and
pontificate

JG

:confused::confused::confused::confused:?? A glance at your number of posts, this seems to be your strong suit. ;)

Re the Cinderella Man tip, Netflix says it doesn't release on dvd until Dec.  I thought Million Dollar Baby was a pretty good flick; especially liked Morgan Freeman decking the gym bully.  I thought the white trash depiction was a little cliched but nevertheless spot-on.  Despite the dysfunctionality of her family, the young lady had an idealized hope that she could work some magic and make her family nicer.  Just set her up for the rending reality check.  As to euthanaia, I don't think a cultural concensus will happen.  The polarization is permanent and political meddling too thick.  At one end of the spectrum is someone like Christopher Reeve.  Should he have the right to refuse treatment (did he:confused:)  I think so.  Another vector is the Schiavo fiasco.  No surprise that the autopsy showed that her brain tissue had shrunk to the point where her brain ventricles (the space) were gigantic.  Suspicions re her husbands intentions aside,  I thought it was sickening that the politicians were jumping all over this while we slide further into the Middle East mire and ....all the rest that deserves the attention of our "leaders." 

MRGALT2U said:
As valuable as my brain is  :), I would want out.  I've been here 60
years and had a lot of fun and adventures.  Way too active to sit and
pontificate and I wouldn't want to be dependent.  Nope, the
Hemingway exit has great appeal under certain conditions.

JG
I'm with you on this point, John.  I do not fear death.  It's simply the end processin life and my life has been very good.  But I do fear pain and suffering . . . even boredom.  And not just my own but  my family's.  Rather than be a brain in an inanimate vessel, please let me die.   :eek:

windsurf said:
Re the Cinderella Man tip, Netflix says it doesn't release on dvd until Dec.  I thought Million Dollar Baby was a pretty good flick; especially liked Morgan Freeman decking the gym bully.  I thought the white trash depiction was a little cliched but nevertheless spot-on.  Despite the dysfunctionality of her family, the young lady had an idealized hope that she could work some magic and make her family nicer.  Just set her up for the rending reality check.  As to euthanaia, I don't think a cultural concensus will happen.  The polarization is permanent  and political meddling  too thick.  At one end of the spectrum is someone like Christopher Reeve.  Should he have the right to refuse treatment (did he:confused:)  I think so.  Another vector is the Schiavo fiasco.  No surprise that the autopsy showed that her brain tissue had shrunk to the point where her brain ventricles (the space) were gigantic.  Suspicions re her husbands intentions aside,  I thought it was sickening that the politicians were jumping all over this while we slide further into the Middle East mire and ....all the rest that deserves the attention of our "leaders." 

Great post!

JG

Back
Top Bottom